Author Topic: Merle Haggard a Great Musician Has Passed  (Read 881 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Merle Haggard a Great Musician Has Passed
« on: April 13, 2016, 12:46:16 PM »
Merle Haggard dies at age 79.

He came out of Bakersfield, and along with Buck Owens originated a new subgenre of Country Music, called the Bakersfield sound.  It blended the blues and a little jazz / swing with a twangy telecaster.  Best exemplified by his smash hit

That hit touches on his time in prison.  He spent time in San Quentin, and supposedly saw Cash perform there, and that inspired him to get his shit together.

His silent majority /  conformist protest songs "Okie from Muskogee", "The Fightin' Side of Me", etc. while well crafted, were lyrical bereft of substance, and VERY hypocritical (or more accurately - he changed his views - calling his younger self "dumb").  Even when he was pandering, his shit was tight tho.  And to his credit, he was more progressive in other areas.  As represented in this song:

As if the Bakersfield sound was not enough, he went on revive western swing with his Tribute to Bob Willis album (the album is all covers, but man is it great): 

He also was an integral part of the County crossover scene of the '70s.   Part of that included one of my very faves of his:

I know country music is considered low rent round here, but by God this man was magic.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Merle Haggard a Great Musician Has Passed
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 04:10:30 PM »
Pros:

1. Beats all you ever saw.

Cons:

1. Been in trouble with the law since the day he was born.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 04:20:45 PM »
:Pedant: That was Waylon Jennings.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »
:pedant: your face was Waylon Jennings. >:(
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

personate-rain