Author Topic: Holy flarging splagtows, I'm installing a GAME.  (Read 1403 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Holy flarging splagtows, I'm installing a GAME.
« on: April 16, 2016, 12:01:23 AM »
I got a free copy of "The Division" with my graphics card, so I thought, what the heck.

I'm busy syncing about a TB of data with Google Drive and OneDrive so the download won't be ready tonight, but that's ok: I was up until 3 setting this thing up (RAID problems solved in the morning).

Here's the thing: I haven't played an actual computer game since... jeez, since Morrowind, I think. I mean Wii bowling doesn't count, does it.

So. I'm downloading this to find out what this thing can do, and to test the platform stability.

What's the best game for someone who likes FPS?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
Re: Holy flarging splagtows, I'm installing a GAME.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 01:15:48 AM »
I got a free copy of "The Division" with my graphics card, so I thought, what the heck.

I'm busy syncing about a TB of data with Google Drive and OneDrive so the download won't be ready tonight, but that's ok: I was up until 3 setting this thing up (RAID problems solved in the morning).

Here's the thing: I haven't played an actual computer game since... jeez, since Morrowind, I think. I mean Wii bowling doesn't count, does it.

So. I'm downloading this to find out what this thing can do, and to test the platform stability.

What's the best game for someone who likes FPS?
Right now? Probably The Division, actually. It's the newest and it seems real popular. I saw some let's plays in it, and it looks pretty good.

You could also try Overwatch. It's Blizzard's new game and it looks damn good. And Destiny. It's a little older, but the RPG elements look pretty interesting. Those are the ones I would want to play, at least. Maybe you'd prefer military-simulation type stuff. Call of Duty or whatever. I am not a good reference for that category.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 06:32:52 AM »
The Division has me interested.

Do you prefer fast-twitch shooters like COD, or more simulation/cooperation like Battlefield and ARMA?
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 06:39:45 PM »
Well that's just it. It's been nearly 20 years since I played anything. I don't know what I like. I do know I like the y axis reversed though.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 06:58:12 PM »
Ah The Division, it's like Judge Dredd, but set in modern day because that sort of distopian vision isn't the stuff of sci fi any more.
(click to show/hide)

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 07:24:46 PM »
Well that's just it. It's been nearly 20 years since I played anything. I don't know what I like. I do know I like the y axis reversed though.
Heathen!

Try the Division and see what you think.

Team Fortress is a team-based twitchy shooter based around the old Counterstrike system, you might give that a poke. Learning curve is steep though.

Battlefield series is good, goes from foot units to controlling tanks, AAVs, jets, helos, and the newest ones also have a "commander" who can assign objectives and call bigger air strikes.

ARMA is a straight up milsim developed by Bohemia, a Czech outfit. Similar to America's Army in that it started as a training simulator to be used by various militaries. Very CPU-heavy, I can barely run ARMA III, but the mod scene is insane. Zombie mods, survival mods, etc. Vehicle play too.

COD franchise has branched, but they're mostly the same? Meh.

Oh and the most recent Fallout is more of an FPSRPG, similar to the STALKER series or Metro 2033, instead of being an RPG with a decent shooting mechanic.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
Heathen!

Try the Division and see what you think.

Team Fortress is a team-based twitchy shooter based around the old Counterstrike system, you might give that a poke. Learning curve is steep though.

Battlefield series is good, goes from foot units to controlling tanks, AAVs, jets, helos, and the newest ones also have a "commander" who can assign objectives and call bigger air strikes.

ARMA is a straight up milsim developed by Bohemia, a Czech outfit. Similar to America's Army in that it started as a training simulator to be used by various militaries. Very CPU-heavy, I can barely run ARMA III, but the mod scene is insane. Zombie mods, survival mods, etc. Vehicle play too.

COD franchise has branched, but they're mostly the same? Meh.

Oh and the most recent Fallout is more of an FPSRPG, similar to the STALKER series or Metro 2033, instead of being an RPG with a decent shooting mechanic.
Of course! How could I forget to suggest Star Wars: Battlefront! That game kicks ass.

I mean, you could always try Diablo 3 and the Witcher 3 if you want something other than a shooter. Or see what game type you like by trying free games on Steam. Team Forteress is free, for instance. And you could try a MOBA, they are all free to play. I prefer League of Legends, but each has its own fanbase.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »
You might also try Planetside 2. It's not very good per se, but it's the only truly massively-multiplayer first-person shooter currently in existence that allows hundreds of players to clash in epic battles on vast maps dotted with dozens of bases and outposts. And since it's free-to-play, you can just enjoy it without spending a cent and then ditch it once the novelty wears off. Or stick with it if you end up liking it. There is a lot to like, I will give it that. I mean, just look at this!

(click to show/hide)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 08:31:42 PM »
I have just one question.

Can splagtows really be said to be flarging? Or does it just look like they're flarging?

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 11:05:10 PM »
I have just one question.

Can splagtows really be said to be flarging? Or does it just look like they're flarging?

Sure, just flaunt your snibsy prilvargence. Just shows your utter ingorstain for the splagtow and its struggle with flarg.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 03:15:32 PM »
Damn, you know, I was meaning to ask you how it went at camp, and I plain forgot. Are you a gamer yet, or what?

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 03:48:14 PM »
Ha! Nope. I barely have time to play words with friends a few times a week at this stage. I think the last time i loaded the game was a few months ago.