Author Topic: Change.FAIL Podcast  (Read 1858 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Change.FAIL Podcast
« on: April 25, 2016, 03:02:20 PM »
So I'm starting a podcast with a friend of mine. We're still testing out ideas and organizing the show. I just finished the opening sequence and I'm pretty happy with it, so I wanted to share.

Kevin and I are both consultants who do our best work at the senior-executive / strategy level. We see a lot of changes fail, despite people attempting to do everything 'right'. There are a lot of reasons for this, of course, but many boil down to a failure to effectively account for human nature (cognitive biases figure heavily in this, as do fallacies). Each show will be a topical conversation related to a failure to change, and perhaps how to do it differently next time.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
Re: Change.FAIL Podcast
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 03:20:18 PM »
I like the Logo as a static image, but I may be too dense to understand the ice cream and grimace.

Although I'm probably not your target audience, I would listen to gain perspective of the higher-ups in my company.  Sometimes I really question their motivation.

How long are you thinking for an episode?
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
Half an hour or so. The ice cream is just an image of failure and consequences. Also, it is silly, so I like it. :)

Our URL is http://change.fail, which is pretty fun.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:02:39 PM by brilligtove »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 05:56:22 PM »
A great concept for a podcast. I like your pitch!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 06:44:47 PM »
Thanks!

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 12:32:12 AM »
The (quote rough) first beta episode is up on YouTube.

I haven't edited e02 yet, and e03 will be recorded next week. We're still in the beta phase, so there's a lot of "not yet ready for prime time" in the chat. Even so, I'm pretty happy with what we've done so far.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 11:21:09 PM »
After some travels and tribulations, I just finished editing and posting Episode 2 (beta): Missing the Target. This is a much better representation of the kind of windbaggery that Kevin and I will be spewing out each week. We recorded episode 3 today, about leadership and teamwork failures in the Marvel universe. I'll start editing it tomorrow.

Video / Show Notes RSS
Audio Feed RSS

(click to show/hide)

Despite the spoiler title, I'm quite happy to accept criticism and commentary. Just remember this is our second show when you do. :)

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 03:13:52 AM »
oooh. looking forward to listening.

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 11:15:55 PM »
I can't really criticize anything about it.
I'm really not the target demo, like at all, but they were a couple of pretty interesting conversations.

A couple of things from an outside perspective-

There was an underlying tension between the format and the flow. You come off as the primary host, (though I couldn't pinpoint why, maybe because you do the introductions and topic id) but your cohost functions more as host during the conversation--
--because he's usually the one calling for the topic to be restricted to more specific terms after letting you explore some of the more complex concepts in abstract for a bit.  Usually it's the host reining people in or re-focusing a discussion.

Don't take this to mean that it seemed line there was actual interpersonal fricion, I could tell (or at least it seemed) that you get along well and are on the same wavelength -so to speak.
Also note, I wouldn't even call this a flaw, really, just an unusual dynamic. It may even give your show a unique energy.
(Wait, I'm assuming you're the first guy.. you are, right?)

And this may or may not be called for, but you seem to have a wealth of experience between you. You do bring this out, but it may be interesting to see how some of the concepts are actually implemented.
Like, so a corporate atmosphere changed, the workers were given a vision of the new company goals, and how it related to their daily tasks.

Okay, except what? Who actually says what, into whose face? to make this happen

I only really have experience with consultants and consulting from when I worked in television news. And where you guys are, like, professional people, TV news consultants are actual parasites.
They came in attached to the face of the news director, called those few among the on air talent who care about grammar pedantic, then slithered out through a crack in the wall.

So my view might be biased, but it seems like your ground level workers have a pretty suspicious attitude toward these sort of institution-wide aspirational pronouncements.
Maybe your show could end up also pulling double duty as a kind of introduction to the world of corporate consulting for the bottom level worker, who is apt to think of all this stuff as so much voodoo, and ignore or resist attempts to redirect a company culture
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:19:34 PM by lubbarin »
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 08:18:23 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm the brown thinky person with the bad voice. :)

Yeah, there is a lot of just and deserved animosity toward consultants. In many cases the only advantage of a consultant over internal staff is that the consultant is paid for from a line item in the budget that is difficult for managers to ignore. Your wages are "free." My fees are not. This means that I can quote you directly and be heard and you can quote me directly and be ignored. This is an unfortunate consequence of human nature. An interesting frustrating one, on all sides, I think.

When I worked with Kevin I hosted hundreds of webinars, so my natural inclination is to do an interview. Add to this that the production is all me on this show (the music, graphics, website, editing, streaming, and posting) and the tendency we both have to monologue, and this is the result. I'm not sure what the eventual dynamic is going to be. We are aiming for conversational. I think e3 will start to show that.

You make a good point about the bottom-up experience of change. We're still finding the show structure, and will likely settle on some (perhaps informal) segments to keep us on track and focussed. Asking what this advice looks like to the people it is imposed on is something we have chatted about in previous (unpublished) conversations. It makes sense for it to be part of the overall structure of the show. We don't know what the workers at Target felt like because we didn't ask, not because we couldn't find out. It is so easy to be blind to important information. TFaS (Thinking, Fast and Slow) calls that WYSIATI - what you see is all there is.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide some insight.

Oh - I'm presuming you watched... Did you do that or pull the audio file?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:28:32 AM by brilligtove »

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »
No, I listened.
While I have plenty of for audio, time for watching videos is a luxury I barely ever have
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:40:54 AM by lubbarin »
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 04:59:21 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!

What an achievement - well done.

I learned so much and I am not even you target demographic.

I have to note my objection to your description to Lubbarin as you being the one with the bad voice - you have a sexy voice. Get used to it! Own it! It sounds good!

Content wise - Like Lubbarin, I am not your target audience either - but boy do I feel I learned a lot from the 2 eps. Your insights go beyond business into the realm of the personal which I picked up especially in ep 1

Other observations/thoughts:

You and Kevin have an excellent rapport. Authentic communication - I really have no idea how much is scripted and how much ad lib; my guess (based on my comparatively teensy experience lecturing/presenting) is that you have key words/ideas and ad lib from there - but you both really do it well). One tiny nit picking-ish observation ...you sometimes let your eyes stray beyond the screen which is distracting ...

Your experience - objectively speaking ... I mean WOW plus 20 years for both of you!!!! - is borne out by your calm authoritative manner. You dudes have GRAVITAS in frigging' bucketloads and it's clear that you know it (but in a good way- you both exude calm confidence)!!

I think you should flash up details of your URL address more frequently. That site is fantastic. And it was only there that I really understood what it was that each of you offered commercially. If this is a commercial marketing exercise (which of course it must be ) - you need to make your URL more accessible because its only there that we find contact details) . You should have contact details for change.FAIL as an enterprise more prominent ( if I were to stumble upon the podcast I would google your personal names ...not change.FAIL  - but that may just be me).( Maybe that's the intention??)
i
You might consider providing an un-packing of acronyms such as BABOK and IIBA. Maybe not necessary for your target audience but I had to google, being a business ignoramus.

Also - the text (defintions etc) you flash up is not very effective, I think.You don't need to cite authorities to show your authority. You do an excellent job of that by you manner, grasp of concepts etc. I think you would be more effective by putting up YOUR OWN summaries of the key points. No need to quote dense definitions etc/other textbooks which no one has time to read because they are busy listening. A pause with a summary flash would be more effective, I believe.

I think ep 1 gets a bit rambly. But like I said I am not your target audience ... plus I have ADHD and my meds are proabably not effective this late at night!! Oh yes. Also I have had a bottle of Shiraz.

I am an organiser (a rep of one of 3 universities) of a big labour law conference annually - if you might be interested in a holiday in South Africa (plus conference duty!!!!)  ... I can see your expertise suiting a plenary of ours (about 800-1000 delegates, August 2017) - no payment, just airticket and accommodation ... let me know if I should start selling it to my organising colleagues ...

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 11:32:20 PM »
PP thank you for your comments and critiques. Have you ever had to practice blinking? It's 'orrible. All my expressive training is based on reaching the back of the room with my stage presence, not with playing to a small, high res screen. I'm working to unlearn and relearn some of that. Waving hands are another bit to deal with, along with "y'know, right, I mean, so, and" interjections. Those are a pain to edit, and we shouldn't have to.

I'll respond in more detail tomorrow to the rest of your post. MUCH appreciated.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 11:43:38 PM »
Change.FAIL Podcast Episode 3: MARVEL-ous Failures is posted.

RSS Video and Show Notes

Audio Only for Episode 3

Subject: Captain America (Steve Rogers) and Iron Man (Tony Stark) are both colossal failures when it comes to teamwork. This week Kevin and Julian take a walk on the nerd side, exploring the team dynamics and ultimate failure of the Avengers in the latest Marvel superhero movie, Captain America: Civil War (CA:CW). What motivates the leaders of the team? How can team that is so high functioning sunder so spectacularly? And of course, what does that have to do with how you assemble your team.

WARNING: There are spoilers for
Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3,
Captain America: The Winter Soldier,
Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron,
as well as Captain America: Civil War.

This episode was a lot of fun to record. We have started to follow a structure (discovered somewhat organically) and are getting a lot more fluid in our conversation. Getting the show posted to YouTube, our website, Twitter, and Facebook is currently about 90 minutes of work, so I'll be looking into ways to deal with that as I continue to refine my abilities as a producer.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback so far. If you know someone who lives in the tree we're barking up please do share any and all of the links above.

Be well.

--brill

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 12:18:08 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!

What an achievement - well done.

I learned so much and I am not even you target demographic.

I have to note my objection to your description to Lubbarin as you being the one with the bad voice - you have a sexy voice. Get used to it! Own it! It sounds good!

Content wise - Like Lubbarin, I am not your target audience either - but boy do I feel I learned a lot from the 2 eps. Your insights go beyond business into the realm of the personal which I picked up especially in ep 1

Thanks. I'm fortunate and grateful to have a voice at all - and when it works, it's just fine. It's just that the machine is cobbled together from bits left over when the engine block fell out, and as such it is prone to sudden and catastrophic failure. Usually in the middle of something important. I cut 7 minutes from the full recording of episode 2. About 5 minutes of that was me being unable to get words out. It is intensely frustrating to have my voice choke up over the simplest phrase. I can usually clear this with a sip of water, but not always, and the delay interrupts the flow of thought and conversation.

I guess what I'm saying is you're getting the Photoshop version of my voice. I'm dealing with what the model looks like at 7AM before coffee.

Other observations/thoughts:

You and Kevin have an excellent rapport. Authentic communication - I really have no idea how much is scripted and how much ad lib; my guess (based on my comparatively teensy experience lecturing/presenting) is that you have key words/ideas and ad lib from there - but you both really do it well).

Thanks! We have a topic, some basic ideas, and that's it. There's no script. We have (as mentioned) come up with a basic structure, and in e4 you'll see a minion's-eye view of change and change failures as part of the last 10 minutes. (Thanks, Lubbarin!)

One tiny nit picking-ish observation ...you sometimes let your eyes stray beyond the screen which is distracting ...

Yes. Gawdawful on camera. Sometimes I feel like my eyes are moving to seed the random number generator with random input, in an attempt to find insight. I'm working on something that will be less distracting and also allow me to invent on the fly. When you see my eyes rolling around it's either because I'm using the right skills for a stage (or classroom) performance in the wrong place (on camera) or because I've been confronted with an idea that requires new thinking and insight. In the not-posted four or five episodes we did to practice there were MANY looooong pauses while I gathered myself to answer a novel situation Kevin presented.

I love that!

Your experience - objectively speaking ... I mean WOW plus 20 years for both of you!!!! - is borne out by your calm authoritative manner. You dudes have GRAVITAS in frigging' bucketloads and it's clear that you know it (but in a good way- you both exude calm confidence)!!

::blush::

I think you should flash up details of your URL address more frequently. That site is fantastic. And it was only there that I really understood what it was that each of you offered commercially. If this is a commercial marketing exercise (which of course it must be ) - you need to make your URL more accessible because its only there that we find contact details) . You should have contact details for change.FAIL as an enterprise more prominent ( if I were to stumble upon the podcast I would google your personal names ...not change.FAIL  - but that may just be me).( Maybe that's the intention??)

Excellent points. I'll rectify this for episode 4 next week.

While self promotion is a part of this effort, it isn't the driving force. We don't work together anymore, and both really miss the kinds of conversations we used to have. We really get off on this kind of stuff - especially when one of us can bring the other up short with a new idea or insight. We'd both be quite happy to get consulting, teaching, speaking, and advisory business based on what we're doing, so we're definitely not trying to make it hard to find.

You might consider providing an un-packing of acronyms such as BABOK and IIBA. Maybe not necessary for your target audience but I had to google, being a business ignoramus.

Also - the text (defintions etc) you flash up is not very effective, I think.You don't need to cite authorities to show your authority. You do an excellent job of that by you manner, grasp of concepts etc. I think you would be more effective by putting up YOUR OWN summaries of the key points. No need to quote dense definitions etc/other textbooks which no one has time to read because they are busy listening. A pause with a summary flash would be more effective, I believe.

I'll keep a closer eye and ear out for that stuff and work to include them in the show notes.

The video overlays of various topics are not meant to be read in detail, but I see your point: putting the detail there is distracting. In e4 I'll tone it down to showing links to relevant resources as much as possible.

I think ep 1 gets a bit rambly. But like I said I am not your target audience ... plus I have ADHD and my meds are proabably not effective this late at night!! Oh yes. Also I have had a bottle of Shiraz.

Episode 1 is totally ramblicious and almost twice as long as a normal episode would be. We'll be doing a reset to Episode 0 in the relatively near future when we're ready to leave the beta stage. There's quite a bit of production stuff to deal with to get there, but the most important part was to have an actual product to produce. Episode 3 is longer than 2 by a few minutes, but it feels tighter to me. My editing is getting better already. :)

I am an organiser (a rep of one of 3 universities) of a big labour law conference annually - if you might be interested in a holiday in South Africa (plus conference duty!!!!)  ... I can see your expertise suiting a plenary of ours (about 800-1000 delegates, August 2017) - no payment, just airticket and accommodation ... let me know if I should start selling it to my organising colleagues ...

Absolutely. I have a few friends in South Africa I would be delighted to visit! We're no stranger to track sessions, teaching from 1/2 day to full week courses, and of course keynotes. We have presented together many times in many contexts. Obviously we'd love the chance to build business opportunities around the world. Also, any opportunity to relieve some pressure on the hot air tanks is welcome. ;)

personate-rain