Author Topic: My Quest to Avoid E-books is Getting Expensive  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
My Quest to Avoid E-books is Getting Expensive
« on: April 26, 2016, 10:20:46 PM »
Thanks to library book sales, I've been nabbing really cheap literature for the last few years.  This has helped me build an extensive library without hitting my pocketbook ... until now. I ran out of shelf space a month ago.  Rather than finally bite the bullet and buy a Kindle/Nook, I headed off to the hardware store and blew $55 on lumber, stain, and polyurethane.  And after about 6 hours of labor (I'm a slow carpenter) I now have a pretty new bookshelf!  Here it is unstocked, and with most of my science and sci fi books:

Unfortunately I also discovered how much basic engineering knowledge I've lost.  I forgot that tall structures are not as stable on soft carpet as they are on a concrete floor, and since I used full 1x10s on the back instead of thin plywood it easily tips backwards with a slight push.  If I'd stopped and thought about where the center of gravity was I would have seen this immediately.  Definitely not safe during an earthquake.  I now feel like I need to make another shelf just to overcome this minor mistake, thus wasting even more money and fossil fuels.

I know I should stop murdering trees and get a Kindle, but then how will I decorate my room to let everyone know I'm a pretentious nerd? 

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: My Quest to Avoid E-books is Getting Expensive
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:27:05 PM »
I know I should stop murdering trees and get a Kindle, but then how will I decorate my room to let everyone know I'm a pretentious nerd?

This is now a "show off your bookshelves" thread. I demand to see your entire collection!
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:20:06 PM »

This is now a "show off your bookshelves" thread. I demand to see your entire collection!

But they're on my ugly dirt brown shelves, not newly stained Jacobean.   :'(

My history shelf is a better indication of what's on sale at the library than what I actually read.  I've barely touched the WW2 stuff, and have no clue why I own 6 separate books on Teddy Roosevelt.

If it was still winter, there'd be Calvin and Hobbes or Onion archives in place of the fan.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 03:45:06 AM »

But they're on my ugly dirt brown shelves, not newly stained Jacobean.   :'(

(click to show/hide)

My history shelf is a better indication of what's on sale at the library than what I actually read.  I've barely touched the WW2 stuff, and have no clue why I own 6 separate books on Teddy Roosevelt.

If it was still winter, there'd be Calvin and Hobbes or Onion archives in place of the fan.

Ah, pretty!! It's about them, not where they reside!! I sorely, sorely regret not keeping my childhood and adolescent Calvin and Hobbes collection, which was damned near complete... but like you, I buy faster than I can read. I've probably read 60% of the words on my shelves.

Do you have particular tastes toward the books you buy on impulse?

(Pretty and old is an easy sell for me, but especially so if it's classic literature that I've read or would like to read, and/or have anything to do with science or music)

My babies:

^WWII history, outdoor survival, skepticism and philosphy, hard science, and classic fiction

^Music, fiction, LPs, comics, and a stack of "nowhere to put these"

^Pile of old and pretty books recently found at an antique store ranging from a first edition Shirer Berlin Diaries, to a 1906 Alice in Wonderland with some gorgeous illustration. That was a glorious day.

Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 05:47:07 AM »
Books are good, but I've barely opened a paper book in the years since I got a Kindle.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 08:49:56 AM »
For the price you spent on lumber and such you could have gotten TWO Orion five-shelf bookcases. (Menard's, Wally World, etc.) At the rate my wife collects books we need to economize. The shelves are sturdy and well-finished.

Primary claimer: I haven't authorized Orion to share my views on this product, nor have I blessed them with my presence. (Not going to Canada!)  ;)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 09:06:51 AM »
If I'd stopped and thought about where the center of gravity was I would have seen this immediately.  Definitely not safe during an earthquake.  I now feel like I need to make another shelf just to overcome this minor mistake, thus wasting even more money and fossil fuels.

Couldn't you just put those marble bookends on the bottom shelf?
Well.  There it is.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 05:56:07 PM »
Come over to the Dark Side. I was a bit of a paper snob myself, but ended up yielding to the lure of Kindle. I'm currently rereading the Culture series and own one of the later entries. When I got to it, I tried wrestling with that massive tome for a bit, but ended up putting it on my Kindle. A bit of a watershed moment, I thought.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 06:03:29 PM »
http://ebook.online-convert.com/

Text file to ePub...  How can you say no to that?
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 06:05:05 PM »
I think novellas will be my gateway to e-books.  I purchased Hugo award winning novella Binti on my phone, read it in one sitting, and loved it.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »
I'm all for e-books, but I still doubt I'll ever lose my love for the tactile sensation of reading a book, or the satisfaction which book hoarding provides.   :cheers:

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 02:53:12 PM »
In 1974 I moved into a small farmhouse in rural North Dakota and furnished it from a thrift store. For a bookcase I went to Sears and bought a sturdy metal one. Mostly I bought books from a used bookstore when I made it in to Fargo, about once a month. When my bookshelf filled up I bought another. Then another... and another... until I had no more wall space, so I turned the shelves so they stuck into the room rather than flat against the wall. And then finally there was no more room for shelves and they began to go into boxes, and then piles of boxes. In 1996 I sold the house to move to Mexico to learn Spanish (actually to continue my Spanish study).

I took four huge boxes of books back to the used bookstore where they gave me $4 for the lot, and the only reason they gave me that much was that the owner had been looking for a copy of The Autobiography of Angela Davis, so he gave me $2 for that, and $2 for the rest. The rest of my extensive book collection, including a facsimile edition of the Sir Robert Burton (the Arabist, not the actor) translation of The Thousand Nights and a Night, and a reprint of the 13th edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica, all stayed behind for the real estate agent to deal with. I asked him to make sure they got to the library or the used book store, but it wouldn't surprise me if he took them to the dump instead.

I don't buy books any more. Giving up all those great books was too painful. And a decade ago I began to find it was harder and harder to read print with my aging eyes. Now I read e-books. First on my Kindle DX, and these days on my iPad Mini.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 02:56:28 PM »
That might be the saddest story I've ever heard.

Although I don't think I'm quite the book hoarder you were...

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:48:47 PM »
I am an ex-book collector. Now I am down to two small shelves. The first is a small set of a particular author that I collect, mostly for sentimentality sake. The second is some science and math books that I refer to often in talking with friends and recommend, from Dan Dennett, Neil Shubin, Richard Dawkins and others.

I usually have one or two conventional books going, but then I donate them to the library. I usually have several Kindle books in queue.

I have had the most success recommending, to people who need a skeptical enlightenment, not Richard Dawkins, but rather Kenneth Miller's book, Finding Darwin's God. Miller, the author of one of the primary biology textbooks, treats religious belief with kid gloves while methodically demonstrating why Darwin was right (and carefully peeling away Biblical literalism). I have had Christian readers tell me that the approach took away some of the threat and barriers that they had built up from hearing or reading other more aggressive authors. I am down to one copy, but I have purchased several used ones and given them away.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 05:32:38 PM »
I've spent the last 26 years ripping up paper books.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41