Author Topic: Cryptography Game  (Read 7299 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Cryptography Game
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2016, 09:59:55 AM »
I am still working on it.  I may have to reign it in, as I may have gone over the top a little.

I'm torn between wanting you to post it as-is because I like challenges, and being completely terrified by what your mind considers "over-the-top"

It will turn out that the first letter of every sentence of every post that PANTS! has made here since the last crash spell out the last 6 pages of 'The Fountainhead', but the last letter of every sentence is a transcript of his favourite 'MAD!' magazine strips! (...and they are just the clues to the codeword!)  >:D. ffs PANTS!, what on our green Earth have you done?

You know what....  I briefly considered doing a variation on that.  But then I came up with something more devious......   >:D
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2016, 10:54:48 AM »
I am still working on it.  I may have to reign it in, as I may have gone over the top a little.

I'm torn between wanting you to post it as-is because I like challenges, and being completely terrified by what your mind considers "over-the-top"

It will turn out that the first letter of every sentence of every post that PANTS! has made here since the last crash spell out the last 6 pages of 'The Fountainhead', but the last letter of every sentence is a transcript of his favourite 'MAD!' magazine strips! (...and they are just the clues to the codeword!)  >:D. ffs PANTS!, what on our green Earth have you done?

You know what....  I briefly considered doing a variation on that.  But then I came up with something more devious......   >:D

:dance:
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2016, 05:06:25 PM »
This game kind of brings home how far we've come with cryptography.  It is now possible for pretty much anyone to have instant access to truly unbreakable encryption. For instance, even if I spot you a few thousand years, you won't be able to get my credit card number out of this message encrypted with my public key:

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

hJ4Dmf8Nisqx+dgSAwMEUkHq68fTPGRktqkFCBj/N7VIg42AFtdIbTQ7EA/bp/xo
l63M0zZi2WWLeGwcvvySSq1z6T+qFcuV6vqQUer79jD3sgYZIWSvzJCv8XQ/V+SV
roM0SaR5jL5khA5uW7xYMO1wX/mn9VnBwwLgcvQ1oEpt7RLU9wUITAVmeVr4oNHl
sdcAZERtTGib/4KGMd9Is9JDAXWtNfa1LtvqYvljYaLuplm+L09TXaMI0qrgGsLQ
EP46W2WmovEtvDhM7/Y77XyFu6i5Tz3S3S0m5NEhJSKtx4aybQ==
=DOTo
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

ETA: For those interested, it's encrypted with a 384-bit ECC key.  The encryption was done on my private server over an 256-bit-AES-encrypted SSH session over a 256-bit AES-encrypted VPN tunnel. Both SSH and VPN authentication is via 2048-bit RSA key.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 05:27:58 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2016, 06:04:04 PM »
My word...that would take more than a FEW thousand years to decrypt.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2016, 07:26:17 PM »
My word...that would take more than a FEW thousand years to decrypt.

The weakest part in the chain is the 384-bit EC assymetric encryption.  Everything I've read suggests that it's about as strong as a 192-bit symmetric key.  I should probably have used a symmetric key, which would have been stronger.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2016, 08:55:54 PM »
I read an article once that if we assume a 4x increase in computing speed every two years (article was written early 2000's), in 2016 it would take about 38 years to crack a relatively small 64 bit encryption with brute force. Now if we only perfected quantum computing...............

I mean the NSA uses elliptic curve cryptography at 384 bit keys for top secret information. It's tight.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2016, 09:17:33 PM »
I read an article once that if we assume a 4x increase in computing speed every two years (article was written early 2000's), in 2016 it would take about 38 years to crack a relatively small 64 bit encryption with brute force. Now if we only perfected quantum computing.

And yet by July of 2002 distributed.net had already cracked a 64-bit cipher and by 2006 the COPACABANA device (a cost-optimized code-breaking machine) could brute-force any 64-bit cipher in less than a day.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2016, 09:23:41 PM »
I guess that's why NSA is moving away from Suite B 256 symmetric to 3072 bit.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2016, 09:30:40 PM »
I guess that's why NSA is moving away from Suite B 256 symmetric to 3072 bit.

That's just an intermediate step, as I understand it.  They're working on quantum-resistant codes as a long-term solution.

personate-rain