Author Topic: The Ark Encounter  (Read 11785 times)

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
Re: The Ark Encounter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 04:46:52 AM »
I for one am disappointed at the lack of gopherwood and pitch.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 05:17:31 AM »
When the Ark Encounter sinks, can it be converted to something else or will it join these ranks
http://gizmodo.com/eerie-images-of-americas-abandoned-amusement-parks-will-1711712713
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 07:10:57 AM »
When the Ark Encounter sinks, can it be converted to something else or will it join these ranks
http://gizmodo.com/eerie-images-of-americas-abandoned-amusement-parks-will-1711712713

Oh I hope so, abandoned parks are even better. I come from the land of abandoned amusement parks and roadside attractions (Pennsylvania) then moved to Florida for a while which probably comes in second.

I visited the defunct Heritage USA site once before they knocked most of it down. The extra added christian feature made the defunct park that much more creepy. In 20 years after closing the Ark would be magnificent. 

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 08:01:32 AM »
I was thinking it might make an incredible paint ball game area. . . . .Maybe have people dress as demons and make it a live action Doom type game  >:D
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 11:03:53 PM »

Oh I hope so, abandoned parks are even better. I come from the land of abandoned amusement parks and roadside attractions (Pennsylvania) then moved to Florida for a while which probably comes in second.

I visited the defunct Heritage USA site once before they knocked most of it down. The extra added christian feature made the defunct park that much more creepy. In 20 years after closing the Ark would be magnificent.

My parents used to take us to heritage usa every year and every year it got bigger. It was actually a pretty cool place to visit if you were a teen. I got laid there a lot. The people that ran the attractions were dicks though.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 08:43:08 AM »

My parents used to take us to heritage usa every year and every year it got bigger. It was actually a pretty cool place to visit if you were a teen. I got laid there a lot. The people that ran the attractions were dicks though.

You also live in the land of defunct Amusements and roadside attractions. I bet we went to all the same places as kids in central PA.  I wonder why that is such a PA phenomenon, its not like PA is some huge tourist destination like FL

I never made Heritage when it was open.  We were suposed to make a trip there once but ended up going to Great Adventure instead. I worked at Dorney Park and at that time a a park employee could visit just about any other park for free.

I think its fine for these places to exist. I doubt its convincing anyone to change their mind on the flood story, I suppose it does make things harder for children but we already lie to them about a thousand other things that will crush them later on in life so whats the difference, Any non believers visiting will just tell them its all a fairy tale like Disney.  Anytime somebody builds a giant building attraction in the shape of something else its worth visiting. I dont believe in God but I would still like to visit St. Peter’s.

Does anyone want to build a skeptical roadside attraction or theme park with me?   What would our building be shaped like?

Offline Enkidu

• Seasoned Contributor
  • It's because of people like me
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 12:21:39 PM »
Skeptical theme parks already exist. They're called "museums."

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »
A local group called the Tri-State Free Thinkers has started an IndieGoGo campaign to put this billboard up near the I-75 freeway exit for the Ark:

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 02:13:32 PM »
Skeptical theme parks already exist. They're called "museums."

Nope, not a theme park unless it has rides and a theme.  >:D  Some roadside attractions can be museums but not all museums are skeptical, the owner of the Ark has a creationism museum.

A local group called the Tri-State Free Thinkers has started an IndieGoGo campaign to put this billboard up near the I-75 freeway exit for the Ark:

If I were the Ark I would thank them for the free advertising that will dive more Christians to the park. 

Offline Enkidu

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 03:28:28 PM »
Yeah, billboards like that are counter productive. It makes atheists and skeptics look like dicks because right or wrong on the issue the people who want to put up that billboard are dicks.

Also, I think science museums need to start including roller coasters.

Also also - and this is just semantics - but the Creation "Museum" is a legitimate museum in the same way that creation "science" is science. You can shit in a bucket and call it a museum if you want, but I won't agree with you.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »
The creationism attraction/"museum" is just a few miles north of the Ark closer to Cincinnati. It will be a great two-in-one attraction.

Interestingly, the Ark is also very close to Big Bone Lick State Park, which is a real fossil site, with one of the great park names.

http://parks.ky.gov/parks/historicsites/big-bone-lick/
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »
Yeah, billboards like that are counter productive. It makes atheists and skeptics look like dicks because right or wrong on the issue the people who want to put up that billboard are dicks.

I would argue that it depends on the billboard. . . .In many parts of the country, you might feel alone if you are an atheist. 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Enkidu

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 03:53:28 PM »

I would argue that it depends on the billboard. . . .In many parts of the country, you might feel alone if you are an atheist.

Flipping theists the bird so that you don't feel lonely? That isn't helping the atheist cause, that's being a "frenemy." A theist pretending to be an atheist as an agent provocateur could hardly do better.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 04:10:07 PM »

Flipping theists the bird so that you don't feel lonely? That isn't helping the atheist cause, that's being a "frenemy." A theist pretending to be an atheist as an agent provocateur could hardly do better.

As I argued, it depends on the billboard. . . .These are the ones I am talking about
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 04:10:34 PM »

Also, I think science museums need to start including roller coasters.

Also also - and this is just semantics - but the Creation "Museum" is a legitimate museum in the same way that creation "science" is science. You can shit in a bucket and call it a museum if you want, but I won't agree with you.

meh, I cant classify museums as all being skeptical or even science related.  There is a Museum of Oddities (great place) A Paul Bunyan Museum, Chiropractic Museum, and tons of other roadsides.

The Chiropractic Museum is even accurate as it tells the history of Chiropractors but it is still not skeptical.

As far as the billboard discussion i agree that positive billboards should be used to help those trying to break free of religion "you are not alone" type stuff.

Outwardly trying to make someone look like a fool when they are already doing a good job of it themselves just attracts more fools.  Case point , whenever the Christians formed a picket line in front of our adult nightclub our sales where higher. At one point we even tried paying them to come back.

personate-rain