Author Topic: Games I got in Humble Bundles  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Games I got in Humble Bundles
« on: May 17, 2016, 11:38:59 AM »
So I've acquired quite a few games from Humble Bundles that weren't the main selling point (Like how I got Resident Evil 4 for a couple bucks, and hey I also got Strider, cool).  So I've now decided to go back and just try some of the hundreds (yes hundreds) of games in my Steam library that I've never played.  Gonna see if any of them are any good.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:30:27 PM by Andrew Clunn »
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Games I got in Humble Bundles
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »
Mutant Mudds Deluxe (putting all videos in spoiler tags so that I don't overload the page):

(click to show/hide)

I love platformers.  I'm all about this game.  I've sunk quite a few hours in.  It wasn't very challenging at first and then got REALLY tough.  But due to frequent checkpoints it can get away with being cheap and not turning me off.  Solid platformer.  I don't remember what humble bundle I got this in, but what a nice surprise.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:31:39 PM by Andrew Clunn »

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:01:42 PM »
10 Second Ninja

(click to show/hide)

This game was amusing for about 2 minutes.  It's like Warioware levels of ADHD applied to the target practice mini game in Super Smash Brothers.  I mean maybe some people might like this, and it's not horrible, but Super Meat Boy just does this style of gaming so much better, that if I ever got the urge to play this sort of game I'd play that instead.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »
Deadly Sin 2:

(click to show/hide)

Sometimes I want to play a retro RPG game, but I mean beating Chrono Trigger for the 30th time just isn't as satisfying.  So I got an RPG maker bundle a while back.  Yeah I know they're games made with RPG maker, but I had heard that To the Moon, was a good game (and it was, if incredibly short and more of an adventure story game than an RPG).  I got a few more classic style RPGs in that bundle though, and this one had the best reviews, so I gave it a try.  And by gave it a try I mean played it all the way through, min maxing like an RPG vet and destroying the optional super hard boss.  26 hours later I'd rate this game as being better than most classic SNES and Genesis era RPGS (though not being as good as the best of them of course).  On the Final Fantasy scale, about as good as 4 (which of course means it's better than 5 and not as good as six, and if you think that order is wrong, then you're wrong!)

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »
Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser:

(click to show/hide)

A shhot'm up with a retro anime style, an unforgiving partner death system and an entirely option character driven story arch.  I got this in the It Came From Japan humble bundle.  This game is super simple in its controls (which I like) but the gameplay is also fairly shallow.  Basically this seems retro in every aspect (music, graphic, difficulty, gameplay, etc...)  I mean I felt like I was playing an arcade machine from the early 90s.  Not really giving this a thumbs up or thumbs down.  It's a taste based thing.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten:

(click to show/hide)

Tower Defense / Puzzle game with RPG elements.  Solid plot.  Good music.  Very replayable.  I sunk 31 hours into this thing, and just found out that the developers are releasing an HD remake upgrade FOR FREE soon.  Yes, loved this.  This was one of the first hidden gems I found when first going through my unplayed games, and made me realize that I needed to try some more of these.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »
Valdis Story Abyssal City:

(click to show/hide)

Firmly on the Castlevania side of the metroidvania scale.  More emphasis on fighting and reaction / pattern based bosses than in exploration.  I sort of didn't care about the story, but damn, playign this with a controller just felt right.  If you get the itch to replay Symphony of the Night again, this is preferable.  That is unless you haven't played Symphony of the Night yet, in which case GO PLAY THAT!

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 12:31:11 PM »
Ittle Dew:

(click to show/hide)

So you're playing Link to the Past, and thinking to yourself, "Man, I wish this were just the puzzles."  I mean I've never thought that, and I love puzzle games, but if you were thinking that, then this is the game for you.  If you wish that The Adventures of Lolo never went away, then have at it.  I beat it, enjoyed it, but never thought to replay it.  Good, but not amazing.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »
Outland:

(click to show/hide)

Underwhelming single player game, but kick ass two player game.  Not as great as Bionic Commando: Rearmed good, but I mean that's a pretty high bar there.  Seriously, so much better if you play with a friend whom you can yell at / blame when things go horribly wrong very very suddenly.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »
Brawlhalla:

(click to show/hide)

Did you / do you enjoy Super Smash Brothers?  Okay, is that enjoyment based on parties with friends where you got really drunk and pounded on each other or do you know what wave dashing is?  If it was the former, then by all means you'll love this.  If you were hoping for the sort of depth that you might find in tournament play in Smash, then avoid.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 12:44:09 PM »
TowerFall Ascension:

(click to show/hide)

You haven't heard of TowerFall yet?  It's only the best twitch based couch play game for hard core gamers on steam.  How have you not heard of this game yet?

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 12:49:15 PM »
Divekick:

(click to show/hide)

A two button fighting game.  Not movement + two buttons, seriously just two buttons.  I LOVE simple controls / rules that result in deep game play.  Maybe you won't.  This is a love it or hate it game.  When I introduce it to people they;re reactions are strong (in the "Let's play this for hours!" or the "This is so lame..." sort).  You too will either love it or hate it.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 12:52:43 PM »
Fist Puncher:

(click to show/hide)

Okay, so it's like an unlicensed rip off of River City Ransom that took some inspiration from Castle Crashers.  Not as good as Castle Crashers, but I mean chances are you've played that to death already.  Local Co-op required of course.  Can't imagine this would be worth playing alone.  Also Bee-Keeper forever!

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 12:57:57 PM »
Legend of Dungeon:

(click to show/hide)

It's hard to love a co-op dungeon crawler when it's so unforgiving.  I mean mean unforgiving single player games I can handle, but party games where the party isn't likely to survive very long are... well this is a long tail sort of thing.  It's like Diplomacy the board game: first you need to get a group together of a very particular type in order to enjoy it and put aside some serious time for this rogue like.  I guess I just don't have the sort of friends or time to really enjoy this.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »
Lux Deluve:

(click to show/hide)

Risk.  It's Risk.  With a bunch of customizable options and an endless supply of maps (not all well balanced).

personate-rain