Author Topic: Back home from hiking in AZ  (Read 4175 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Back home from hiking in AZ
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2016, 03:20:22 PM »
Good luck.  I live with a couple of holes my L supraspinatus (ski injury at work) and got the same advice you did.  Those stupid little exercises the physic sentences one with actually work most to the time.  Diligence and patience.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2016, 04:16:01 PM »
Thanks. Yep, nothing to do but keep on with it. He did say he still thinks I should be able to hike next summer. And I'm now working out what dates are available at the hiking lodges so I can try to schedule the best use of the brief summer.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2016, 08:00:49 PM »
Apparently what I've got is adhesive capsulitis. The shoulder joint capsule, which is inside the rotator cuff, can shrink as the result of the trauma of the accident or even the surgery. This limits range of motion. They think that left alone it will resolve itself within two years, but I don't want to wait two years. With luck the physical therapy may resolve it. Or if they get desperate they may try to pop it by manipulation under anesthesia, if there's no progress in the next two months.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2016, 10:07:22 PM »
The latest development as a direct result of the accident is that I need a root canal. One tooth was broken in the accident, and has been removed and an implant put in. In a couple more months I'll get a crown on it. But I also banged up several other teeth. Two are semi-numb, and they'll keep an eye on them and they could recover. One was very sensitive, but the sensitivity diminished, and today I went to the endodontist (a word I had never heard before I got the referral from my dentist) who determined that the nerve has died as a result of being smashed so hard in the accident. On election day I am scheduled for the root canal. They'd have done it today, but it was an afternoon appointment, and it would have meant driving home in the dark, and I have poor night vision. So it's scheduled for the 8th. (I've already voted by mail. All voting in WA is by mail.)

They assured me that it's nowhere near as painful as everyone, all my life, has told me that root canals are. But the disclosure said that sometimes teeth that get root canals sometimes end up having to be pulled. The whole thing is going to cost over $1,000.

I forgot to ask if they'll knock me out, or at least give me gas, for the root canal. He said it's no worse than a filling, so I'm afraid they won't. I'll definitely ask for gas, and I'll happily pay extra for it.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2016, 09:21:23 AM »
The latest development as a direct result of the accident is that I need a root canal. One tooth was broken in the accident, and has been removed and an implant put in. In a couple more months I'll get a crown on it. But I also banged up several other teeth. Two are semi-numb, and they'll keep an eye on them and they could recover. One was very sensitive, but the sensitivity diminished, and today I went to the endodontist (a word I had never heard before I got the referral from my dentist) who determined that the nerve has died as a result of being smashed so hard in the accident. On election day I am scheduled for the root canal. They'd have done it today, but it was an afternoon appointment, and it would have meant driving home in the dark, and I have poor night vision. So it's scheduled for the 8th. (I've already voted by mail. All voting in WA is by mail.)

They assured me that it's nowhere near as painful as everyone, all my life, has told me that root canals are. But the disclosure said that sometimes teeth that get root canals sometimes end up having to be pulled. The whole thing is going to cost over $1,000.

I forgot to ask if they'll knock me out, or at least give me gas, for the root canal. He said it's no worse than a filling, so I'm afraid they won't. I'll definitely ask for gas, and I'll happily pay extra for it.

I have had several root canals.  They give you a shot in some central nerve in your jaw that numbs the entire jaw section.  You really can't feel a thing in the tooth itself.  The only uncomfortable part is keeping your mouth open for 20 or 30 minutes.  If you have jaw issues, that might really be an issue.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2016, 09:46:44 AM »
I know there won't be pain during the operation. I'm concerned about the pain afterwards. I had very severe pain for a couple of weeks after my implant, then gradually diminishing over the following couple of weeks. Fortunately I was still taking oxycodone for my shoulder, and was able to increase my dosage accordingly.

The endodontist said it would be about like a headache for a few days and I could take Advil or Aleve for it. Neither of those helps me very much when I do have a headache. I still have some oxy, but I really don't want to go through withdrawal again. But as mentioned often, I'm a wimp and I have a very low pain tolerance.

I plan on stocking up on groceries so that I won't have to drive for a few days afterwards. And I'll probably get some ice cream in case I need comfort food or no-chew food.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2016, 06:18:13 PM »
Just got home from getting the root canal. The only (very minor) pain was when the girl installed the rubber dam on the tooth. She had a hard time getting it on right and something kept poking the gum. But she finally got it on properly. And she was pretty. I don't get upset when a pretty woman hurts me. There was no pain during the procedure. I don't think they gave me a nerve shot as Billzbub suggested. I think it was just regular novocain. My upper lip is still numb (it was an upper incisor) and my nose is semi-numb, which the receptionist told me is normal when it's an upper tooth. It didn't even hurt when he gave me the novocain shot. (I've had times the shot itself was very painful.) It remains to be seen how I will feel once the novocain wears off. He said that at worst it would be like a headache, and I should take whatever I take for a headache. My appointment was at 2:00 p.m. I got there a quarter of an hour early, and they called me in pretty quick. I got out of the chair at 2:30 so the whole thing lasted about 40 minutes, though it seemed like an hour and a half sitting there. It's quarter after three now.

I have to go back in on Thursday in the morning. He'll remove the temporary filling, check to see that all is well, and if he's satisfied he'll put in a permanent filling.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2016, 02:22:12 PM »
Today was part 2 of the root canal. They removed the temporary filling, did some stuff, and then put in the permanent filling. Now, a couple of hours later, that tooth is extremely sensitive. There was no pain at all, not even discomfort, after part 1. But now if I touch the tooth with my tongue (which I'm supposed to avoid doing, but cannot entirely prevent) it hurts, and if I touch it with the opposing tooth, it's extremely painful. I'm not supposed to do that either. They told me I can eat normally, but to try to avoid biting hard on that tooth. In a little while it will be lunch time. We'll see how it goes. They said I should expect moderate pain for three days. If the pain is severe I can call them. It should be amenable to whatever I normally take for a headache, they said. I guess I'll take an ibuprofen now.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2016, 01:50:27 PM »
The physical therapy for my arm has moved into a new phase. First there were just mobility exercises, which began with small things and moved to more and more movement. Then there were strength exercises added to the mobility exercises. The mobility exercises evolved as my mobility increased, and the strength exercises consisted of pulling on an elastic band as well as lifting the arm against gravity. All of these continue.

And now they've added some exercises that put weight on the shoulder and the bone. On hands & knees, doing various movements to put differing weight and stress on the arm. Also climbing stairs using my hiking poles, pushing with the arms. (I can climb stairs just fine without poles. This is to give the arm a new kind of workout.) And then going back down the stairs, also using the poles to put stress on the arm & shoulder.

The arm continues to make very, very slow progress. My physical therapist thinks I should be able to resume hiking in the spring (which is still 6 months away) and that I might even be able to go kayaking in February. That one is a maybe, not a high degree of likelihood, but a possibility. February is whale season in Maui so would be very nice to get back there. This time I would bring my 5-mil wet suit so I could swim in the afternoons in the chilly water.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2016, 10:38:45 AM »
Another update:

Yesterday I saw the orthopedist. Until now I've only seen his P.A., since my surgery was done in Arizona. It was more a discussion than an examination, though he did check my range of motion and arm strength in various directions.

I may have mentioned before that there is a procedure where they put you under anesthesia and manipulate the joint, basically forcing it to full extension to stretch the shoulder capsule, which is what's limiting range of motion. (Adhesive capsulitis, otherwise known as "frozen shoulder.") It's very painful and requires a lot of physical therapy afterwards for several months to preserve the new range of motion. I would gladly submit to it. However it turns out that this procedure carries a risk of fracture, so they will not do it until nine months after the accident and surgery, to give the bone time to heal completely. Thus, at six months out, I cannot have it now.

The good news is that I am regaining strength in the arm with the recently-added resistance work, and the orthopedist said that at this point using the arm is good for it. He gave me enthusiastic permission to schedule my kayaking trip to Maui in late February and my hiking trip to Arizona in late April. I have booked my flights to and hotel in Maui for late February and into March, and as soon as I can get through to the guiding company I like I will book my kayak outings. And once I know what days I'll be taking off from kayaking I'll book a rappeling outing and a zip-line outing. After rappeling on my last trip there I swore I'd never do it again because it was the most terrifying thing I'd ever done. More so than my scariest hike, more so than sky-diving. And now, damnit, I have to do it again.

I'll also be booking my late-April, early May hiking trip to Arizona as soon as my guide there gets back to me. He sometimes takes multi-day canyoneering trips, sp it can take a few days to reach him.

So I'll be working harder than ever now on my physical therapy exercises to prepare for these trips. March is still whale season in Maui, and there's nothing like seeing whales from a kayak. I still want to see one breach so close that I get splashed.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2016, 11:08:56 AM »
Wow, that's great news!  I hope your shoulder manipulation goes much smoother than you are anticipating.  Compared to what you have gone through so far, it should be a walk in the park!

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2016, 01:55:38 PM »
Wow, that's great news!  I hope your shoulder manipulation goes much smoother than you are anticipating.  Compared to what you have gone through so far, it should be a walk in the park!

Nine months from the accident is too close to the upcoming hiking season. So the manipulation won't happen before next fall. At that time we'll re-evaluate the benefits vs. the risks.

But I am happy to be able to resume travel early next year. March is still whale season in Maui. So that will be a lot of fun, even though I probably won't be strong enough to paddle as much as last time. It took some hard paddling to get out to the whales, and the paddling is half the fun. But still, it's going to be good to get out there again, and I'm going to be working hard on my arm and core strength between now and then.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2017, 01:22:15 PM »
Although the broken arm was the big injury, I also broke a tooth and messed up some others in the same accident, as mentioned in the first post. About 4 months ago they removed the root of the broken tooth and put in an implant. Two weeks ago I got the go-ahead to be fitted for the crown. So yesterday I went in to the dentist to have the mold made. They put some horrid goop in a tray and put it in my mouth and held it there for about five minutes. Then they put goop on my teeth and had me bite down and hold it for a few more minutes.

But the worst was when they put some more of the goop on another tray to make a mold of my upper teeth. The goop started to run back into my throat and I started to gag and had to spit it out. So they had to start over, using a bit less, and letting me bend forward so the stuff wouldn't run to the back of my mouth.

It was far from the worst experience I've ever had but it was pretty horrid.

But that's over with, and in 3 weeks they expect to have the crown and they'll install it. Then my mouth won't have this annoying gap. I don't give a damn about the looks. But my tongue keeps wanting to push around in there.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »
Ugh, yes, the mouth goop is nasty nasty nasty.  But otherwise great news!
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2017, 07:05:35 PM »
After a bit of delay around making the crown, I had it installed today. It hurt pretty badly as they were screwing it in, apparently because it was pinching the gums, which then took a few minutes to settle back into their proper position. But within ten minutes or so the pain was gone, and now I no longer have that annoying gap. My mouth feels normal for the first time since the accident 8 months ago. One of my incisors still feels bad when I brush my teeth (but not otherwise unless I press on it). In a few months I'll see the endodontist again to re-assess that tooth.

Meanwhile I continue with exercises for the frozen shoulder and the muscle weakness in the arm that was broken. In three and a half weeks I leave for Maui and kayaking, which will be the first real test of the arm.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain