Author Topic: 3D-printed Smart Bus  (Read 622 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
3D-printed Smart Bus
« on: June 23, 2016, 06:19:34 PM »
Came across this on my Facebook feed: the company claims that 3D-printing components locally and assembling them in local "microfactories" is more efficient.  I find it hard to believe that assembling individual busses by hand can be more efficient than a centralized assembly line, though, and many parts will still have to be manufactured by third parties.

The concept of on-demand self-driving microbuses seems a good one to me, though.

I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. β€” Bertrand Russell

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: 3D-printed Smart Bus
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 07:03:45 PM »
Yep, sounds very much too good to be true.  It's also not clear to me why the self-driving tech has to be married to 3D printing at this point, it seems like a bad idea to try to solve two problems (i.e. non-traditional manufacturing model and self-driving vehicles) at once.  Which makes me suspect this is some kind of hype play for a better IPO and/or buyout by a small company.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: 3D-printed Smart Bus
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:49:36 PM »
I found the companies website

https://localmotors.com/

Its pretty interesting, I get the 3d printing part for some of it but i'm not sure about the rest. It looks like a great amusement park system to replace parking lot trams.  >:D
β€œDon't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

personate-rain