Author Topic: Desert Fox's Pictures  (Read 10328 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Desert Fox's Pictures
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 05:37:43 PM »
CCDs have a way to go before they beat that 645. I could blow up pictures to four by five FEET and not lose much in the way of resolution. My telephoto lens was 23 inches long. Got a great picture of the captain of a Krista flipping me offf.  ;D

I won't dispute that, but how often do you need to blow up photos that big? For most of us, digital provides pictures as good as our computer screens can display. I do only three things with my pictures: I look at them on my computer; I post them on line where others look at them on their computers, and I make 4X6-inch prints for my non-computer-using friends. For me, a nice telephoto lens would make a lot more difference than higher resolution. But I'm not willing to carry the weight when hiking. (I'm going to have to rent a camera with a decent zoom for my trip to Churchill, MB, this fall.)

Might want to just get a decent older digital camera with a zoom. . . My carry around camera is a 14.1 megapixel cybershot with a 4 x optical zoom. I spend like $25 on eBay for it so losing it would not be a great loss.

I love buying used stuff that works for me but a little older.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »
CCDs have a way to go before they beat that 645. I could blow up pictures to four by five FEET and not lose much in the way of resolution. My telephoto lens was 23 inches long. Got a great picture of the captain of a Krista flipping me offf.  ;D

I won't dispute that, but how often do you need to blow up photos that big? For most of us, digital provides pictures as good as our computer screens can display. I do only three things with my pictures: I look at them on my computer; I post them on line where others look at them on their computers, and I make 4X6-inch prints for my non-computer-using friends. For me, a nice telephoto lens would make a lot more difference than higher resolution. But I'm not willing to carry the weight when hiking. (I'm going to have to rent a camera with a decent zoom for my trip to Churchill, MB, this fall.)
I have a Nikon p510 with a 40X zoom. I can see if eagles wipe their butts.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »
Got a nice picture of the ex USS Enterprise a few days ago that I thought I would post?

I took a tour of the Enterprise yeas ago. My wife's friends husband was a JAG on the ship and he gave us a nice tour. Had lunch on the ship and he bought me an official ball cap. Still have it. I got a kick out of it. I was an ARMY guy but the ship has so much history.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 08:38:02 PM »
The old WW2 Enterprise CV-6 is the one with some serious history . . . She was the most decorated warship of World War II with twenty Battle Stars
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »
The old WW2 Enterprise CV-6 is the one with some serious history . . . She was the most decorated warship of World War II with twenty Battle Stars

I was thinking veitnam war but your correct the original was the best.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 08:50:21 PM »

My thing is that I basically thought that Enterprise (CVN-65) would be around forever.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 10:00:25 PM »

My thing is that I basically thought that Enterprise (CVN-65) would be around forever.

I heard that they are going to name another carrier Enterprise.
Douglas Adams

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 05:18:14 AM »

I heard that they are going to name another carrier Enterprise.

I work with a guy who also works for the shipyard. . . .Suppose to start next year
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 06:49:25 AM »

Seemed like it. But there's a point in any ship's life where there are just too many things that need fixed to make it a viable project.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 09:36:29 PM »

Seemed like it. But there's a point in any ship's life where there are just too many things that need fixed to make it a viable project.

I would think it comes down to the life of the reactor
Douglas Adams

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »

I would think it comes down to the life of the reactor
Prolly. But I've been on ships where you had to be careful not to go through the hull, according to the crew. Last one was USS B ordelon, aka "The Dirty B".

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »
Interesting Dragonfly in my yard
(click to show/hide)
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »
You can drag-and-drop images like that into Google Images and maybe get a match with info on them.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 02:40:28 AM »
You can drag-and-drop images like that into Google Images and maybe get a match with info on them.

"Insect." . . . . . ???

Edit: From doing a manual search, appears to be a widow skimmer however
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:52:41 AM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 08:21:01 AM »

"Insect." . . . . . ???

Edit: From doing a manual search, appears to be a widow skimmer however
Why not an insect? That was a classic pose for a pinned bug.

personate-rain