Author Topic: Desert Fox's Pictures  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Desert Fox's Pictures
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2017, 01:39:43 AM »
This is an old one but make guesses at the vessel
(click to show/hide)
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2017, 04:54:14 AM »
This is an old one but make guesses at the vessel
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 05:43:38 AM »
Name of the vessel would be nice  >:D
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 09:17:05 AM »
Very similar to USNS General H. H. Arnold (T-AGM-9), but form follows function.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »
Unreconstructed Commies queried.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 10:03:45 AM »
CCDs have a way to go before they beat that 645. I could blow up pictures to four by five FEET and not lose much in the way of resolution. My telephoto lens was 23 inches long. Got a great picture of the captain of a Krista flipping me offf.  ;D

I won't dispute that, but how often do you need to blow up photos that big? For most of us, digital provides pictures as good as our computer screens can display. I do only three things with my pictures: I look at them on my computer; I post them on line where others look at them on their computers, and I make 4X6-inch prints for my non-computer-using friends. For me, a nice telephoto lens would make a lot more difference than higher resolution. But I'm not willing to carry the weight when hiking. (I'm going to have to rent a camera with a decent zoom for my trip to Churchill, MB, this fall.)

Might want to just get a decent older digital camera with a zoom. . . My carry around camera is a 14.1 megapixel cybershot with a 4 x optical zoom. I spend like $25 on eBay for it so losing it would not be a great loss.

I love buying used stuff that works for me but a little older.

When I was researching cameras in preparation for my trip to Churchill in 2016 (postponed to this fall because of my broken arm) I was looking as some very reasonably-priced cameras with 40X zoom. What I discovered in my research is that the processor is critical for getting a clear shot. With everything else the same, the latest processor will provide a much better picture than the one before it.

For hiking, I just don't care that much. Very light weight is all that matters. My point & shoot with 5X optical zoom is really pretty good. But for the polar bears I want a lot more zoom and the best processor I can get. It makes more sense for me to rent a camera for that one short trip. For hiking, I get pics of me and my guides and some landscapes. For wildlife you want the best quality you can get, but I don't visit wildlife areas often enough to justify owning a good camera. I might never go to Churchill again after this fall. And I'll never return to Kenya again unless I find a girlfriend. It's too long a trip to take alone. And for underwater photography you need a whole different kind of equipment and more skill than I have.

I have a Nikon p510 with a 40X zoom. I can see if eagles wipe their butts.

Amazon says that one weighs a pound and a quarter. For hiking I'm not willing to carry that much weight. Yes, I would get much better pictures. But I'm not willing to carry the weight. I've hiked with guides who carry more weight than I can lift off the ground. I need to trim ounces from my pack.

Bottom line: I'm not a serious photographer. I'll rent a good camera for Churchill.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »
Ah, it was the Arnold.

Ship was used to film "Virus" movie. Thus the Russian name. There was a Soviet ships with a similar name and design but with a slightly different name.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A...B4%D0%BD%D0%BE)

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 12:23:59 PM »
Ah, it was the Arnold.

Ship was used to film "Virus" movie. Thus the Russian name. There was a Soviet ships with a similar name and design but with a slightly different name.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A...B4%D0%BD%D0%BE)

Hoping the Russian letters would throw people off
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2017, 12:35:40 PM »
Ah, a Red herring.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2017, 08:38:37 PM »
I cropped this a bit. I was kayaking and there was this strange tower in the water which I could not figure out what it was.
Tried looking for the town, looking for "strange towers on York River." Nothing. Finally, I went to the NOAA charts and it is listed as VORTEC. Looked up VORTEC and it is an aircraft navigation beacon.

Thought I would post it because it is kind of neat looking

Only had my cell phone so quality is not great. Of course I was also bouncing in the water at the time.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
Why I was late for work today. . . I need to start remembering to check to see if there is a bridge lift schedule.
USS Cole, the one that was badly damaged by a boat bomb.

— Robert G. Ingersoll