Author Topic: Pokemon Go  (Read 8456 times)

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
Re: Pokemon Go
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 08:08:58 PM »
They like to hang out in the Kroger parking lot in my hood. 

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 11:24:04 PM »
I don't think I have time for this, despite my daughter being totes in love with the series. Also, not yet in Canada, eh?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 11:25:08 PM »
I now have Pikachu.

I no longer care about the game (may or may not be true).

Cheers...
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 02:17:56 AM »
I think they have the same issue as with Ingress, playing outside of a densely populated area is disproportionately difficult. However, unlike ingress that is based on population control, it seems odd that Pokemon are so rare in parks.

Yeah, its a pretty dumb system at the moment.

From what we saw during the beta it appears that pokemon "habitats" concentrate around high traffic areas, as designated by Google location data that records where high phone use areas are - exactly the same system Ingress has for deciding XM placement. (During the beta habitats looked like puddles on the ground and were easier to see the exact locations; now theyre the animations of floating leaves).

Which means big wildlife areas have hardly any pokemon while dense city areas have heaps.

I don't think I have time for this, despite my daughter being totes in love with the series. Also, not yet in Canada, eh?

You can sideload the APK to get the app working, but may not have pokemon available until it is released in your area.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 02:26:50 AM »

You say that right up until your daughter realises that she can have her photo taken on the lounge watching TV with Pikachu.

"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline Sidewalk Skeptic

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • SidewalkSkeptic
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 07:44:41 AM »
I'll get on the band wagon in a month or two or later today. It looks like it has sparked a lot of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 07:59:17 AM »
It is crazy.  Walking around early Sunday AM in our town of 10k, we met 20+ people playing, which is nuts in the south.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 08:35:52 AM »
I'll get on the band wagon in a month or two or later today. It looks like it has sparked a lot of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll install it when it is available in Canada. Then we will see.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
So what exactly does one do in this game? Ingress never did it for me

Walk around; pokemon show up nearby; flick the screen to throw a pokeball at it (similar to that facebook basketball game). Thats mostly it.

sounds so OCD/Asperger's to me.
'gotta catch 'em all!'
'why?'
'because it said so!'

They like to hang out in the Kroger parking lot in my hood. 

Players have discovered that the Whanganui Hells Angels pad on Kaikokopu Rd, Aramoho has been set down as a pokestop
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11672443
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »
There are apparently a lot of critters to be found in and around the parks and monuments of Washington, DC.

I've seen more than a couple full grown adults wandering around the Air Force Memorial flicking phone screens.  (A couple blocks from where I work)

I've never been prouder nor happier to be an old guy who doesn't give a sh*t about such things....
Well.  There it is.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 03:25:21 PM »

'gotta catch 'em all!'
'why?'
'because it said so!'

If you want to make that argument then that's practically every video game. "Gotta beat this boss" "Why?" "To get to the next one!" "And then what?" "Well eventually it's over."

There's other competitive elements to the game, but the "gotta catch em all" is sort of the most salient one. Slightly more complete would be "gotta catch em all but also gotta maintain my territory and buff up my guys".

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »

'gotta catch 'em all!'
'why?'
'because it said so!'

If you want to make that argument then that's practically every video game. "Gotta beat this boss" "Why?" "To get to the next one!" "And then what?" "Well eventually it's over."

There's other competitive elements to the game, but the "gotta catch em all" is sort of the most salient one. Slightly more complete would be "gotta catch em all but also gotta maintain my territory and buff up my guys".

It feeds on the natural human collector instinct. There are tons of people who want complete collections of something, whether that be stamps, coins, model trains, anime figurines, or pocket monsters. Heading into the train station to find a rare pokemon isn't really that different from scouring ebay for that Penny Black.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2016, 02:27:09 AM »
I've never been prouder nor happier to be an old guy who doesn't give a sh*t about such things....

I say to each his own and if it gets the kids moving, great.

But that said, I have posted on Facebook to my friends and family, that if they see me "playing" this, they have permission to grab my phone/ipod touch/ipad etc and throw it into the nearest body of water.  ;)

I am a big gamer, but I just don't get PG. Probably because I was way too old for Pokemon the first time around and I can't see what the challenge is.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2016, 07:47:14 AM »

I say to each his own and if it gets the kids moving, great.

But that said, I have posted on Facebook to my friends and family, that if they see me "playing" this, they have permission to grab my phone/ipod touch/ipad etc and throw it into the nearest body of water.  ;)

I am a big gamer, but I just don't get PG. Probably because I was way too old for Pokemon the first time around and I can't see what the challenge is.

I made a conscious decision years ago to NEVER to play a MMORPG because I know I probably can't be trusted to maintain a productive real world existence with that sort of thing in my life....Pokémon Go is probably the same sort of thing for other folks....

Well.  There it is.

personate-rain