Author Topic: SGU Forumvision 2017! Round 9 - Open Round - Music to Sooth the savage beast?  (Read 19008 times)

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
Re: SGU Forumvision 2017! Round 7 - Open Round! Bring in the funk.
« Reply #495 on: March 10, 2017, 01:04:31 PM »
Jeopardy - Score = 0, Sure Prog rock bands like Yes can get away with a 15 min song, but then they have a history behind them. This goes on and on without ever truly making a statement. I'm on board with the likes of the Bootleg Grateful Dead nooding on FOREVER but seriously this has no imagination what-so-ever. they needed a producer that said "hold the cow bell, and cut this down to like 30 seconds." no one is ever going to listen to this other then the band's mothers. Go back to the garage, put down the synthesizer, and pick up a guitar. 
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #496 on: March 10, 2017, 01:14:43 PM »
the point being that it produces stress which makes you answer questions and play games faster, it does not seem to work on skeptics.  >:D
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #497 on: March 10, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
Anyway, it's designed as a background to something else, not as a standalone piece of music intended to be listened to for its own merits.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #498 on: March 10, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »
It was a joke you guys.  ::) lighten up it's Friday.

I'll post round eight tomorrow morning. Get those scores in.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #499 on: March 10, 2017, 09:23:42 PM »
Yes, please.  I need something to listen to while doing my bathroom renovation.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #500 on: March 11, 2017, 02:46:10 PM »
Sorry for the delay, I gotta get a couple of clarifications on round 8 submissions. I'll get it up as soon as I can.

and scores too.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #501 on: March 11, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »
I'll get it up as soon as I can.

and scores too.

:pervert:
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #502 on: March 17, 2017, 07:51:21 PM »
DI runs away with it with Gold! and unsurprisingly Gerbig and Zaros traded tens.

..ArthAQBPantsZarosDrewGerbigDISJLatCust
ArthLissie - The Habit #828108011341
AQBIcky Blossoms, "Stark Weather" 3#1430155628
PantsParty at Ground Zero - Fishbone 06#30510103138
ZarosJet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl 155#6103410246
DrewTombstone da Deadman, "My Stand"  2362#3562534
GerbigBowling for Soup, "1985" 443102#636038
DIThe Cat Empire, "Brighter Than Gold" 81010182#88863
SJMJ Rock with you 5046144#4432
LatEagles, "Hotel California" 101055620#1039
CustREMI, "Lose Sleep"  628041820#31

Standings are as follows. Lat still holding onto the lead, but DI's superb round was second to break 300.
Round:123456789101112Total
Arth4747453234364100000282
AQB3455281425502800000234
Pants4757354943213800000290
Zaros3921495037344600000276
Drew4244313248103400000241
Gerbig2515285216573800000231
DI3830294050566300000306
SJ3727284342413200000250
Lat3655683141513900000321
Cust4539494754343100000299

Comments and round 8 - cover songs coming soon.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #503 on: March 17, 2017, 07:59:02 PM »
I cranked up this round in my office in the presence of one of my favorite students, Johnny Bravo, a pianist/composer who loves jazz and electronica, and who was happy to contribute his comments.  (We talk about music a lot, even though I can’t understand a lot of what he says; he’s far more knowledgeable than I am.)  That was fun.  :)

I was already familiar with five of the nine tunes, which might be a record for Forumvision…?  Heard some stuff I want to buy, which makes me happy.  That’s what I like best about Forumvision.

The Cat Empire, “Brighter Than Gold”  10
Oh, how I dig this.  I was digging it much and then the horns came in and the deal was sealed.  I do love me some horns.  Party music!  Johnny Bravo was slightly baffled by the slower sections.  This one’s on my “buy” list.

Lissie, “The Habit”  8
Ridiculously catchy song about a devastating subject.  Singing along, or at least humming along, by the second go-round.  On the “buy” list.

Fishbone, “Party at Ground Zero”  6
Dagnabbit, what is that tune they’re quoting right at the very beginning?!  It’s so familiar.  Neither Johnny Bravo nor I could identify it immediately, although he said later, “They’re quoting it, and then, like, expanding on it.”  I don’t know how I’ve managed not to own this song already, because it is all the awesome.  Thanks for reminding me of the glory that is Fishbone, forum goober.  Also, I had to explain to Johnny Bravo that the term “ground zero” far predates September 11, 2001; that was his only reference for it.  Play it, boy wonder!

Jet, “Are You Gonna Be My Girl”  5
Nothing fancy, just some grubby, straightforward rock without sanding off the rough edges.  Gonna buy this too.

Bowling for Soup, “1985”  4
This song is very silly.  That’s not a bad thing.  It’s fun and catchy with a goofy singalong chorus.  It feels like the band was having a whole lot of fun.

Tombstone da Deadman, “My Stand”  3
Johnny Bravo and I really enjoyed the piano.  I did enjoy the rap; there’s just something about the rhythm of most rap that lets my mind wander away from the lyrics…which I think is exactly the wrong response.
AQB:  “Better than the more well-known skeptical rapper.”
Johnny Bravo:  “Who’s that?”
AQB:  “Baba Brinkman.”
Johnny Bravo:  “Not that well-known.”

REMI, “Lose Sleep”  2
Faded into the background quickly…I was bobbing my head but not really paying attention.  Johnny Bravo turned his attention back to his homework.  This wouldn’t make me lose sleep.

Eagles, “Hotel California”  1
A classic.  Overplayed, but a good song that I do like.  However, I don’t need to hear it very often these days.  Skipped over it in the playlist after two listens.  Johnny Bravo didn’t much dig it.

Michael Jackson, “Rock With You”  0
Johnny Bravo was deeply disappointed in me for not liking this song.  As noted over in the Music subforum, I understand and appreciate the impact and importance of Michael Jackson’s solo oeuvre; I just don’t enjoy listening to it.  Sorry, PANTS!
AQB:  “I dunno, this is…soft pop…easy listening.”
Johnny Bravo:  “Oh wow, listen to that synth-flute solo.”

Icky Blossoms, “Stark Weather”
A sweet song about devotion and spree killing; what’s not to love?  Johnny Bravo was slightly alarmed when I started singing along with the rather startling opening line.  Honestly, when I first heard this, I had a similar “wait, what?” reaction.  But it stuck to me.

0 - Party at Ground Zero - Fishbone: If you're going to cover such a well known melody, you need to make it interesting.  I mean... Oh it's just the opening.  Is this some jam fest mash-up... Oh it is.  I hate those.  And this is not proving to be the exception to the rule.  Forcing myself to listen to the whole thing.

1 - Michael Jackson - Rock With You: Disco rock from Michael Jackson!  Okay...  Yeah, this is one of his less popular songs for a reason.  It combines not introducing me to anything new with not being something I particularly like, hence the low score.

2 - Bowling For Soup - 1985: Nostalgia pop-rock about the 80s, but from back before 80s nostalgia was big.  Maybe it started the trend?  Either way, I remember when this song came out, which is ironic since it's so forgettable.

3 - Icky Blossoms - Stark Weather: Well that was dark.

4 - REMI - Lose Sleep: Decent, lyrically deep, but not musically.

5 - Eagles - Hotel California: Overplayed song with decent music, but nonsensical lyrics.  Okay.

6 - Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl: Rather than being rock from the late 70s or early 80s (or making direct references to it) this song merely embodies that style.  We sure this wasn't a themed round?  Either way, it's a good song.

8 - The Cat Empire - Brighter Than Gold: My wife has this song on rotation in one of her playlists.  It's a good song, so I understand why, though a tad repetitive.

10 - Lissie - The Habit: Oh yes.  I am typically turned off by a heavy repeating down beat (so over done), but there's enough tempo changes (and even some changes in dynamics, which are sorely lacking in popish music).  Enjoyed this.

Here are the scores for round 7

0- Icky Blossoms
The only song i really didnt like. The energy was too low, the lyrics too strange, and the bass line was a detriment to the song, being more distracting and overbearing than anything

1- Remi- Lose Sleep
I didnt dislike this song, I just felt neutral to it. It seems to be speaking to a different person than me, because I saw no appeal in it.

2- The Cat Empire- Brighter than Gold
Not a bad song, just not as good as the others submitted. The chorus seemed a little muted and holding back

3- Tombstone da Deadman- My stand
Seems to be filled with a lot of passion and justified anger. BUT it seems like someone took a powerpoint and made it into a rap, cant shake that impression.

4- Micheal Jackson- Rock with you
Before my time mebey? Seems like a B-side filler song. Not bad, pretty catchy, just not for me

5- Party at ground Zero- Fishbone
Reminds me of Reel Big Fish type songs, horns, high energy, bouncy lyrics, its like pop-punk california music. Is that a genre?

6- Hotel California
One of the first songs I learned on guitar, nostaliga <3

8- Lissie- The Habit
A nice little rocky toe tapper with a great lead singer. I can imagine boogying to this song while doing housework

10-Jet- Are you going to be my girl     
Despite how basic and uninspired the lyrics are, there is something so gutteral and primal about the song, I just cant help but love it everyime I hear it

I didn't hate any of these songs, so apologies to those I ranked low: they aren't terrible, I just like all the other songs better....

Party at Ground Zero  --  Fishbone  --  10

WHAT OMG SOMEBODY SUBMIT FISHBONE?? YES! I LOVE YOU! Gee, I wonder where Reel Big Fish got their "hit sound" from? YAY I LOVE THIS AND I LOVE YOU, SUBMITTER

REMI  --  Lose Sleep  --  8

Ah. Yeah. Dig it. I like this. My primary concern with rapped lyrics is the voice of the rapper, and I really like his. (further along) Yeah! I like this! There's more than just the voice... a pleasing, catchy harmonic rhythm... some artful lyrics.

Bowling for Soup - 1985  --  6

Oh damn, holy nostalgia! I grew up in the Dallas suburbs in the 90s, and Bowling for Soup (being from the area) was played on the local radio like a motherfucker. I didn't know anybody outside of DFW knew of them! Nice little 90s alt-rock tune here.

Tombstone da Deadman - My Stand  --  5

Oh nice, more rap, and I again really like his voice. Ooooh and it's skeptic-themed! I kinda want to deduct points for pandering, but I won't because it's good. Dammit, this guy needs a producer... I LOVE his voice, and his rhymes and lyrics engage me... but there's just not much there beyond that... like maybe this guy did all this on a casio in his bedroom, which is super cool, but I am left wondering what it could be.

Michael Jackson  --  Rock With You  --  4

Man, playing the King of Pop is almost cheating...  ;)  It's a good song... has some "smooth jazz" motives and colors that bug me a little, but still very entertaining.

Jet  --  Are You Gonna Be My Girl  --  3

Is there a more recent popular cover of this? I have definitely heard the song, but I feel like it wasn't exactly what I'm hearing here... though I do kinda like what I'm hearing here more than my memory of the song.

Eagles  --  Hotel California  --  2

My problem with this song is that I like almost every cover I've ever heard more than I like the original. I figure this means that the original song is great, just--for my taste--written for the wrong band. Listening to the original a few times, I still feel this way...

Icky Blossoms - Stark Weather  -- 1

I like the bass line. Everything else--and I mean everything--sounds like it was created by a moderately talented 22 year old with a bunch of weed and some time on their hands.

Lissie  --  The Habit  --  0

Nice voice, but right off the bat, way too much autotune. Autotune is cool as an effect sometimes, but it makes a singer sound like shit when used for pitch correction. Either she's terrible live and needs it, or she doesn't need it and has a terrible producer.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #504 on: March 17, 2017, 08:03:26 PM »
MJ Rock with you - Ok if I dont score high with this one I dont know what will please you people :)

10 Party at ground zero - I have always loved dancing to this song. Its not my favorite ska track but its certainly in my top 10 Ska pics list

8 The cat empire: Brighter than gold- Love those horns

6 Tombstone da Deadman - My Stand. Wow Cali Compton rap about skepticism wow, its not a great hiphop track but im really impressed with the content, this takes balls in that genre

5 Icky blossoms stark weather.  I like the groove

4 Jet: are you gonna be my girl : strip club track I played a million times, I still like it, lots of energy

3 Bowling for soup 1985- Meh this whole era of music was disappointing to me and if you want to sing about 1985 you should sound like a song from 1985 this is 2000s crap that is annoying to me but still catchy enough to play for the right crowd

2 Remmi lose sleep: still not sure about this one, I need a 3rd listen

1 Lissie habbit - I liked it at first but at with a second listen i think its not so good

0 Hotel California “I hate the fucking eagles, man!”

ROUND 7

Bowling for Soup - 1985: 4. Meh. It's okay, but it's basically the same song as Stacey's Mom. I think that's Stacey's Mom on the car, too.

Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl: 1. I've never much liked this song. And I hear it a lot. I don't really need to hear it again to give it a score.

Eagles - Hotel California: 10. This video is unavailable. But again, I know this song well enough that I don't need to hear it to give it a score. This has a huge stack of nostalgia value for me.

The Cat Empire - Brighter Than Gold: 8. This was okay. I enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to at the beginning. The chorus didn't seem to fit in with the verse, but they made it work.

Icky Blossoms - Stark Weather: 3. Not that great. If you're going to drone, you really need to at least try to make it interesting.

Lissie - The Habit: Mine. I found this one on Pandora. I like its beat and I like her voice.

REMI - Lose Sleep: 6. I don't know why hip hop artists need to randomly vocalise before the song actually starts. I guess it's a genre thing. This wasn't bad. I'm not the biggest fan of hip hop though.

Michael Jackson - Rock With You: 5. Again, this song is so well-known that I don't even need to listen to it. I'm not a fan of his earlier work - the soul/funk/motown sound does not go well with me.

Fishbone - Party At Ground Zero: 0. I tried to like this. I really did. I even listened to the whole thing. But no. Sorry. It was awful.

Tombstone da Deadman - My Stand: 2. Pandering.

10 - Are You Gonna Be My Girl - That's what I'm talking about.
8 - Brighter Than Gold - I quite liked the verses, but the chorus was jarringly bright and did not work well with it.
6 - 1985 - I don’t know why I like it so much, but I do.
5 - Stark Weather - I did not want to like this song, but I couldn't turn away.
4  - Rock with You - Objectively good, but not my favorite of his.  His earlier or later work would have scored better.
3 - Party at Ground Zero - I liked parts of it, but as a whole it felt like a mashup of three songs that didn't quite mesh.  I have a feeling that a really good 3-minute song could have been extracted from it by a good producer.
2 - My Stand - a little on the nose for my taste.
1 - The Habit - It's not bad, really, just...boring.  It's a shame, because I quite like the singer's voice.
0 - Lose Sleep - The beat is annoying, rhymes mediocre.

As I said in the thread before, there are no bad songs in this group, and I wish I could give all of them at least a 3.

"The Eagles - Hotel California: 00 - Sorry, but I can't. There are deeper cuts from them that are 1k x better in their sleep.

"
"Lissie - The Habit: 02 - Interesting, but that verse melody is ripped from ""I only wanna be with you"", and that was distracting as fuck.

"
"Bowling For Soup - 1985: 03 - Not bad, but several iterations through the photocopy machine to be something amazing.

"
"Icky Blossoms - Stark Weather: 01 - Interesting, but kinda bland.

"
"Michael Jackson - Rock With You: 04 - Not his best, and probably the worst of his best album.  Still it's a great song.  But overplayed.  Deserves a spot in the pantheon, get middle marks because I have a bias for original songs.

"
"Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl: 05 - It's a rippin tune.  It was a minor hit - so -pts for that.

"
"Tombstone da Deadman - My Stand: 06 - I like his flow.  Even tho it was herky jerky and off beat.  It seemed to fit the message - not marching to the standard rhythm.  I would have like some more variety in the background music tho.  He just sampled the one riff.

"
"REMI - Lose Sleep: 08 - Generic ""Rap then sing"" Neo Soul.  But very competent.  I enjoy rap when it is witty, deft (has flow), or referential (which really combines the former, maybe).  But this song may have opened up a new avenue of appreciation - he told a compelling story from a perspective I had not experienced.

"
"The Cat Empire - Brighter Than Gold: 10 - That was hoppin'.  Loved the horn, and the polyrhythms.  Hadn't heard it before either so plusses there from me.

"
"Party at Ground Zero - Fishbone: Mine - Fishbone are something else - this heady mix of punk, ska, and dirty funk. If you appreciate their irreverence watch the culture clash with Don Cornelius here: 

"
: overall - Only one bummer in there, but only one real standout as well, IMHO. 

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:54:05 PM by HighPockets »

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
Wait...we don't get the original versions for comparison's sake?  I don't think I can judge a cover without knowing the original, and I have no idea what most of these are covering.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Nevermind

EDIT:Its been fixed.  Thanks Mod.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:55:58 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Wait...we don't get the original versions for comparison's sake?  I don't think I can judge a cover without knowing the original, and I have no idea what most of these are covering.

In order (This is off the top of my head, so I might be wrong)

The Kinks
Al Green
David Bowie
Suicidal Tendancies
The Disney movie Hercules
Arcade Fire
Greatful Dead
Howard Jones
Nine Inch Nails
Coldplay
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:54:02 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
Thanks Pants!

I will say that not everybody sent in the actual original they were referencing. But I think it's fair to say that, even if you were referencing a covering of a cover, or covering an original that had been covered already you can rate the song on it's own merit. The source of the submission is that it's a cover song, the song itself is what is being evaluated.

I'm sure not everyone necessarily saw it that way but it might be the best path for this round.