Author Topic: SGU Forumvision 2017! Round 9 - Open Round - Music to Sooth the savage beast?  (Read 22422 times)

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
God damn.  This is an awesome round.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Zaros

• been pissed off for years
  • Well Established
  • I'm the Sheriff.
i like how gerbig and i not only traded 10's but also gave the song that won it's lowest scores.
Danger is my middle name.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
This is getting spooky Zaros 😅

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
It's my understanding, HighPockets, that the criteria on which we judge a song are entirely up to us.   For me, the merit of a cover rests in large part in its ability to transform a song into something new.  A note-for-note reproduction of another artist's song does not, in my opinion, possess significant merit of its own.  Others can, of course, judge by their own criteria.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
It's my understanding, HighPockets, that the criteria on which we judge a song are entirely up to us.   For me, the merit of a cover rests in large part in its ability to transform a song into something new.  A note-for-note reproduction of another artist's song does not, in my opinion, possess significant merit of its own.  Others can, of course, judge by their own criteria.

I love that we're all judging by our own metrics: seeing what people value in their musical tastes is a large part of the fun for me.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
I will be shocked if a particular song does not win.  It should win, and anyone other than the person who submitted it who does not give it a 10 score has horrible taste.  I am not referring to my submission.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
I have to relisten to them all, but I have to say that this is a strong round.  Only one clunker, though there are several that I didn't think did anything interesting.  I'm a sucker for genre-bending in a cover, I realize.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
That willie nelson song was so touching.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Here this is for Zaros. He must listen to the whole thing:

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Zaros

• been pissed off for years
  • Well Established
  • I'm the Sheriff.
why tho
Danger is my middle name.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena

It is certainly the case that you are free to judge a song according to your own criteria, and what I'm about to say should in no way be taken as criticism.

I wouldn't want to do it your way. Tying a cover to its original pre-loads me with expectations that may be unwarranted. If I already know the original, I can't avoid this. But if I don't, then I'll be approaching the cover as an entirely new song and judging it on its merits alone. I don't expect that a piece of art will require knowledge of other pieces of art before it can be appreciated for itself. Of course I recognise that this goes on all the time, but I try to ignore it as best I can.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
There are, in my experience, two diametrically opposed schools of thought in art appreciation.  One school holds that a piece of art is best appreciated by understanding as much as possible about the social, artistic, political, etc. context in which that art work was created.  For this school the intention of the artist is paramount.  The other school believes that a work of art is best appreciated almost de novo, without regard to such matters and indeed often completely rejecting such matters as unimportant.  For this latter school, the subjective experience of the observer is paramount.

In my experience, members of each school invariably believe that their way of appreciating art is the only valid way of doing so, and believe that members of the other school are wholly lacking in the ability truly to appreciate any work of art.  Between these two schools there can be no agreement because they are fundamentally opposed.  In my experience, it is best to agree to disagree.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Indeed. Though I doubt pithy classification schemes that pigeonhole a person into only one of two binary categories, I largely agree with you, and hereby publicly identify myself as belonging to the latter of your two schools of thought. However, I do have to take minor exception with your last statement - that the two schools "invariably" believe that the other is worthless. At least, as far as it pertains to me and my comment above. Again, this should be taken as exploration and elaboration of your stated premise rather than disagreement with it.

The people who belong to the former school - the "scholars", if you will - are those who have deliberately expended some time and effort in learning the social, artistic, political, etc. context in which the art was created. You're not born with that knowledge. Those who have not deliberately chosen to expend that time and effort fall into the latter school - the "appreciators" - by default. They approach the art naked, unencumbered. But also without the tools to appreciate some of the deeper aspects of art. Naturally they will miss some of the nuance that is available to the scholars.

For me, there is just too much art for me to have ever studied much of it in detail. Especially music. Having been a jazz musician in my youth, I have a quite deep understanding about the theory and practice of jazz, for example. But I do not have the same depth of knowledge of metal, because I have never spent much time studying it. I can't study everything. No-one can.

So when I listen to new music, I try to react on a purely aesthetic level at first. Sometimes, my enjoyment of a thing will warrant my deciding to spend some more effort understanding it in context. If I think it's good enough to trigger some intellectual motivation. Otherwise, I've got other things to spend my intellectual capital on.

Certainly there are people whom your statement does describe, and I in no way want to dispute that. But I thought it might be helpful to put some of my thoughts on the subject into the open.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
why tho

Clearly, Morvis is unhappy that he didn't sign up to play this game, and is only sunday morning quarterbacking from the sidelines.

I will be shocked if a particular song does not win.  It should win, and anyone other than the person who submitted it who does not give it a 10 score has horrible taste.  I am not referring to my submission.

Calling Gerbig and Zaros Please come to the voting station, Your attention is needed in a serious matter.

I love it that you guys can discuss the merits of a cover song with such passion. (are you high?)

I remember hearing "Spirit in the sky" by Doctor and the Medics at a dance club in college and thinking that it was just an awesome song, it was probably three years later that I found out that it was a cover of Norman Greenbaum. The fact that the original was released in 1969 fell perfectly into a realm of music that I would have no reference to for many years. I just appreciated the song for what it was. And all things considered I like the doctors version better to thins day. It would have been my submission this round.
I can't remember the song, but a guy across the hall from me in the dorm was playing a song and he was going on about the great drum beat, he thought it was so cool, and after if was over I asked him if he had hear this tune, and I put on Bow Wow Wow's "I want candy" the look on his face was priceless, the "wait this isn't original? look. DI is right, we all come to a specific song with our own personal experiences and that is why we have such a great time discussing this music.

Don't forget to get your votes in. :)
...When he laughed, respectable senators burst with laughter,
And when he cried the little children died in the streets.
-Epitaph on a Tyrant

personate-rain
personate-rain