Author Topic: Snarl's Chicken Coop (And soon, other DIY projects)  (Read 669 times)

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
Snarl's Chicken Coop (And soon, other DIY projects)
« on: August 16, 2016, 08:20:52 AM »
So, today I put the finishing touches on this chicken coop, made from a broken cabinet and a shelf. I've never build anything like this before.

The aim is to tempt this beautiful free-roaming Golden hen to live inside. Does anyone know anything about chickens to help me get her moved in? I have put in a few bits of bread. Will add some hay/dry leaves once the rain lets up.

There is a perch inside facing sideways within the taller section, Note that the enlarged slanted roof gives her more room while perching, drips off rain rather than letting it soak through, and makes a sheltered and shady area outside to the right. I also offset the door and shaped the top to minimise exposure to wind. I'm planning on filling in some small gaps between boards with window putty. Can anyone suggest some easy improvements?

I will post any future DIY/Repair/Gardening stuff here. You are all welcome to as well! Love, Snarl!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:33:42 AM by SnarlPatrick »
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
Re: Snarl's Chicken Coop (And soon, other DIY projects)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 09:04:53 AM »
That's not a coop, that's a piece of prime real estate.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Online Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:31:26 AM »
The ground needs more stuff for nesting. Though I wouldn't dig it out any for fear of flooding in rain.
(click to show/hide)

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »
Thanks. I've added a bunch more leaves, around the outside but everything is wet now, so nothing inside. What would you recommend? Hay?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Online Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 10:06:43 AM »
If you're having issues with moisture then straw may be a better option than hay.
(click to show/hide)

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 12:20:02 PM »
Do you need an escape in case of predator?
Amend and resubmit.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:10:16 PM »
I'm not sure. She and many other large birds hang out in the yard regularly. Would an escap be a hinged bottom panel or something?

She's started investigating the place. Good sign.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »
An escape would just be another hatch on the other side, or maybe the roof.  So when the fox sticks his head in one door, the bird runs out the other door.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 01:57:19 PM »
Progress!

The locals tell me the only danger around here is Snakes... but we have a nasty smelling boundary to keep them out and I haven't seen one my whole time here. Maybe I should put it farther away from the big leaf pile though. I don't see an easy way to make an escape hatch that wouldn't really increaes exposure, that the chicken could operate easily. Maybe a hole in the roof with a tunnel to keep our rain?

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »
She seems to have taken to it just fine.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 03:08:45 PM »
Not exactly the Chicken Ritz.  Dogs are the worst chicken depredators.  Here is my latest chicken coop.  It's a tractor coop that I can move place to place for that scorched earth effect only a flock of  chickens can make.

Here's a look inside.  They get all my garden and kitchen waste. I throw straw on top of that.