Author Topic: lost deciduous teeth, saltwater rinse a myth?  (Read 10212 times)

Offline Bartmon

• Not Enough Spare Time
lost deciduous teeth, saltwater rinse a myth?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 12:53:51 PM »
JurijD,

I don't disagree with you. Obviously you have more of an education in this field than I do. I was a trauma RN for five years and I did take microbiology in university, but I am no expert.

I'll bet that the reason for saltwater rinses is relatively mundane, and the idea that they 'cure' infections is a sacred cow/urban legend that's been passed down from generation to generation.

Bart
esus Never Existed

Offline Mrs. Schaarschmidt

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 01:07:24 PM »
I don't know anything about medicine.  But I was always told it was the iodine in the salt that helped.  Table salt (the kind we always used to do saltwater) has iodine in it.  Could this be it?
f you go to sleep at night and you're not dead yet - you got through another day.
~~Mrs. Schaarschmidt~~

Offline skepticality

• Off to a Start
    • http://www.skepticality.com/
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 01:16:08 PM »
Ya,

I've had one of my dentists when I was a kid tell me to gargle with salt water when I had my eye teeth removed due to a deformity... I always thought it was a stupid idea... and never seemed to work... So, I go with the BS meter on this one...
erek Colanduno
Host/Producer - Skepticality The Official Podcast of Skeptic Magazine
http://www.skepticality.com/

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 01:18:57 PM »
So what about my theory that a hypertonic solution will shrink the inflamed tissue, thereby causing some sort of relief (however minor)? Huh? Huh? Huh? :D

Offline kikyo

• Groovy Groovy Kitty
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Chu! ^_^
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 02:53:18 PM »
There is no evidence that intermittent use of salt water has any advantage over plain tap water in immunocompetent patients, and patients have been shown to be incapable of mixing accurate
solutions from provided instructions. Warm tap water mouth soaks or rinses should be considered therapeutically equivalent to homemade saline
rinses, until scientific evidence demonstrates otherwise.

-Roger E. Alexander, DDS, ELEVEN MYTHS OF DENTOALVEOLAR SURGERY, J Am Dent Assoc, Vol 129, No 9, 1271-1279.
<LeetheAgent> Kikyo is awesome!

Quote from: Black_Magic
Sure... but Pokemon was FREAKIN' AWESOME, while your anime is gay :D

Offline JurijD

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 07:45:42 PM »
Quote from: "skidoo"
So what about my theory that a hypertonic solution will shrink the inflamed tissue, thereby causing some sort of relief (however minor)? Huh? Huh? Huh? :D

I'd say this is unlikely because tissue inflamation is caused by excess fluid in the extracellular space and not intracellular space and the mechanics are a bit different there. Even if you were able to drain a portion of the water from the extracellular space via this hypertonic salt solution it would not make much of a difference. The reason the extracellular space is swollen is because of certain pro-inflammatory substances being released into the tissue that are making your blood vessles leaky. Any excess water you migh be able to drain away by hypertonic salt solutions would immediatelly be replaced by fresh fluid from the leaky blood vessles.

Offline JurijD

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2007, 07:49:16 PM »
Quote from: "Bartmon"
JurijD,

I don't disagree with you. Obviously you have more of an education in this field than I do. I was a trauma RN for five years and I did take microbiology in university, but I am no expert.

I'll bet that the reason for saltwater rinses is relatively mundane, and the idea that they 'cure' infections is a sacred cow/urban legend that's been passed down from generation to generation.

Bart

it's interesting that the "wash out your wound with sea water" myth is also present here and we've talked about it extensivelly in med school.

the "salty mouth wash" one is not at all known here.

This is all rather fascinating, comparing different cultural habbits in this way, I mean.

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2007, 09:07:21 PM »
Quote from: "JurijD"
Quote from: "skidoo"

I'd say this is unlikely because tissue inflamation is caused by excess fluid in the extracellular space and not intracellular space and the mechanics are a bit different there. Even if you were able to drain a portion of the water from the extracellular space via this hypertonic salt solution it would not make much of a difference. The reason the extracellular space is swollen is because of certain pro-inflammatory substances being released into the tissue that are making your blood vessles leaky. Any excess water you migh be able to drain away by hypertonic salt solutions would immediatelly be replaced by fresh fluid from the leaky blood vessles.

So much for my Nobel prize.  :(

Offline Jacobok02

• Brand New
Re: lost deciduous teeth, saltwater rinse a myth?
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2019, 01:49:26 AM »
Nowadays the dental issues have increased and even the little kids are having such problems. That’s why I take extra care of my family’s teeth. We regularly visit the best dentist Redondo Beach for the checkups and this is why we all are having good health.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 02:48:33 AM »
Woah! A 12-year thread revive, and on a first post too.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2019, 07:56:35 AM »
And a dentist, not a chiropractor.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2019, 09:19:39 AM »
That's the weird bit.  I kind of want to click the link, there's got to be some nuttery behind this right?  It can't really just be a dentist spamming ads for his business on a random internet forum can it?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:22:09 AM by Ah.hell »

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 10:27:50 AM »

-it prevents infection (Ok, maybe this one.  A rapid change in salinity can burst the cells of some nasties, but why not use mouthwash?  Either way, I have a hard time believing that the bacterial soup that is our mouths would be changed at all by a quick rinse.)
No it does not. Most bacterial cells have quite strong cellular walls made of protein that can handle anything you can throw at them by changing salt concentrations in this manner.

That can't be right.  Bacterial cell walls are permeable to water.  So a hypertonic saline solution would desiccate the bacteria by osmosis and kill them.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 10:29:28 AM »

Almost certainly a spambot.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2019, 10:56:36 AM »

Almost certainly a spambot.
In the service of a dentist who wants to upgrade to a gen 2 Vision Jet.

personate-rain