Author Topic: Episode #581  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #581
« on: August 27, 2016, 11:58:27 AM »
What’s the Word: Inquiline; News Items: Proxima Centauri b Confirmed, Anthropocene, World Wide Web 25, The Fight Against Pseudoscience, Pew Belief Poll; Who’s That Noisy; Name That Logical Fallacy; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline ThorGoLucky

• Off to a Start
  • Snuggle wolf of science and silliness
    • ThorGoLucky
Re: Episode #581
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »
Regarding the belief poll, I live in Benton county, Oregon, that has a relatively high percentage of atheists, and Corvallis is considered a Liberal college town.  I often meet folks at the pub that I would consider to be conservative and religious:  Natural = good, artificial = bad, GMO = bad, alt med = good, western medicine = bad, etc.  It's a natural/woo religion that cherry picks science to support their beliefs, fears technological progress, measures their enlightenment and smug ignorance by how far they can shove their heads up their butts (Butthism), and arrogantly believes that they have found The Truth if they can guide or trick their brains into doing so.   ...in my humble opinion.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 07:59:18 PM »
That was the last slap in the face I'm going to take. Their "premium" membership is bullshit. I gave them my money and didn't get shit. Good luck on your "lawsuit".
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 09:16:33 PM »
That was the last slap in the face I'm going to take. Their "premium" membership is bullshit. I gave them my money and didn't get shit. Good luck on your "lawsuit".

What the hell is this guy talking about?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline mabell_yah

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 02:45:18 AM »
I agree with Bob on Proxima B. A vast amount of information is streaming past us right now. We simply lack the technology to process it. But our technology will progress by many orders of magnitude before any physical probe could arrive. Our best bet is to send one of those Star Shot postage stamp probes AWAY from Proxima Centauri. Once we get it 700 AUs out, we can use the sun to gravity lens the shit out of Proxima B. It's reasonable to expect 100km resolution. We could see mountain ranges, continents and weather patterns.

Offline wayne.de.villiers

• Brand New
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 05:34:49 AM »
Regarding: Richard Grant's criticism of science communicators.

Perhaps, in the latter half of my life, I'm straying into cynicism, but did the panel perhaps miss the possibility that they're dealing with a Wakeford Wakefield Gambit?   Grant promotes himself as a science communicator and has founded a blogging platform - so it's a good marketing ploy to identify a problem in the field - the next step being to sell himself as the solution.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:31:35 PM by wayne.de.villiers »

Offline lucek

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 07:02:52 AM »
On absense of evedence you guys hit it on the nose in one point but kept talking. The truth is absense of evedence is never evedence of absence. The problem is with the claiments definition of absense of evedence. In short a nul result is not absense of evedence.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 07:16:49 AM »
I agree with Bob on Proxima B. A vast amount of information is streaming past us right now. We simply lack the technology to process it. But our technology will progress by many orders of magnitude before any physical probe could arrive. Our best bet is to send one of those Star Shot postage stamp probes AWAY from Proxima Centauri. Once we get it 700 AUs out, we can use the sun to gravity lens the shit out of Proxima B. It's reasonable to expect 100km resolution. We could see mountain ranges, continents and weather patterns.

I doubt it.  Proxima B is so far away and so small ...  an iPod sized device just wouldn't have the optics to receive much of an image of it, regardless of gravity lensing by the sun.  As an illustration - remember how poor the images the Hubble telescope, with its metres diameter lens, managed to take of the much closer Pluto.  Very blurred images with hardly any detail at all.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 09:27:49 AM »
Wakeford Gambit

Do you mean Wakefield? If not, what is this referring to?
Mooohn!

Offline wayne.de.villiers

• Brand New
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »
Wakeford Gambit

Do you mean Wakefield? If not, what is this referring to?

I did indeed - thanks for the sharp eyes!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 05:35:05 PM »
Does anyone know what Chew is talking about?  Did the Rogues do something unconscionable I should know about?  And why the scare quotes around "lawsuit"?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
Does anyone know what Chew is talking about?  Did the Rogues do something unconscionable I should know about?  And why the scare quotes around "lawsuit"?

Yeah, I'm curious about that myself... I didn't detect any face slapping in the episode.
Mooohn!

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 07:09:32 PM »

Yeah, I'm curious about that myself... I didn't detect any face slapping in the episode.
The best I could figure was that he was set off by the most recent premium content- a discussion of pseudoscience in politics based on Stein
Get thee behind me, millennial

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 09:28:04 PM »

Could you please elucidate? Many of us are baffled. What was the "slap in the face"? Did you perhaps have difficulty downloading the premium version? Or were you upset because the premium version included an ad for membership? (I was a bit baffled by that, since presumably anybody listening to the premium version knows about membership.)

BTW, just speaking for myself, while I enjoy the premium content, I subscribe to the premium version because I like the show itself, and would continue to be a "member" even if all I got was the regular version of the show. I donate because I want the show to continue. I donate to some podcasts that do not give premium content to subscribers.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 07:05:29 AM »

The best I could figure was that he was set off by the most recent premium content- a discussion of pseudoscience in politics based on Stein

No, I'm pretty sure Chew is not a Stein supporter.
#non-belief denialist