Author Topic: Episode #581  (Read 5383 times)

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #581
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2016, 08:39:19 AM »

There is a zoo, but it's the same zoo, so if the zoo in zoology is wrong, so is zoo. Should be so.

Interesting...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/zoology

This site shows the correct pronunciation (as I learned it) but when you click on the little flags they pronounce it with the "zoo"!

Relevant note:

Usage Note: Traditionally, the first syllable of zoology has been pronounced as (zō), rhyming with toe. However, most likely due to the familiarity of the word zoo (which is merely a shortened form of zoological garden), the pronunciation of the first syllable as (zo͞o) is also commonly heard. In 1999, 88 percent of the Panelists found the (zō-) pronunciation acceptable, and 60 percent found the (zo͞o-) pronunciation acceptable, with 68 percent using the (zō-) pronunciation and 32 percent using the (zo͞o-) pronunciation in their own speech. Thus, while both pronunciations can be considered acceptable, the (zō-) pronunciation may be perceived as more scientific.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »
I use (zō-) when I'm thinking about it, and (zo͞o-) when I'm not thinking about it. I consider the former to be correct, but sometimes the latter just comes out of my mouth. Languages change constantly. It pisses me off sometimes when the changes detract from clarity, but soon I'll be dead and nobody will give a fuck which pronunciation I thought correct.

If we could get in a space shop and fly near the speed of light so that when we returned 1,000 years had passed here, we would not be able to understand the language that English had become. English is the direct descendant (1,000 years later) of Anglo-Saxon, which is as different from modern English as is German. Good luck trying to enforce pronunciation or grammar standards. Bad grammar pisses me off a lot more than pronunciation. It's rampant. And there's nothing anybody can do about it.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2016, 03:16:57 PM »
That's interesting, I never considered zoo to be a corruption of zo. I guess it follows that the corruption moves backwards from the common usage now.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 05:41:29 PM »
if we just used diereses we could avoid such abominations.  Zoölogy.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2016, 11:12:48 PM »
Oh anotherthing i just remembered was the off the cuff mention about the 6th mass exstiction. The 5 mass exstinction model that even makes this possible. It's like being in a room with 100 normal high indeviduals one guy pushing 7 feet and 4 litteral giants. The 6th exstiction is worse. It's like having a 10 year old and saying if he keeps growing at this rate he'll be one of the top 6 tallest people in the room.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2020, 05:08:08 PM »
That was the last slap in the face I'm going to take. Their "premium" membership is bullshit. I gave them my money and didn't get shit. Good luck on your "lawsuit".

I did not make this comment. I was out wearing my SGU shirt and some guy asked me about it. We got to talking and I invited him to my place for dinner and we listened to this podcast. I encouraged him to browse the forum on my laptop. He was a bit of a contrarian jerk so I never contacted him again. He must have made this comment because I did not make this comment.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 05:28:21 PM »
That was the last slap in the face I'm going to take. Their "premium" membership is bullshit. I gave them my money and didn't get shit. Good luck on your "lawsuit".

I did not make this comment. I was out wearing my SGU shirt and some guy asked me about it. We got to talking and I invited him to my place for dinner and we listened to this podcast. I encouraged him to browse the forum on my laptop. He was a bit of a contrarian jerk so I never contacted him again. He must have made this comment because I did not make this comment.
Wow, random! Well, welcome back?  :D ;)
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 05:51:44 PM »

Thanks. I came back trying to find a haiku I wrote about Fukushima. The search function really sucks.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2020, 06:24:33 PM »

Thanks. I came back trying to find a haiku I wrote about Fukushima. The search function really sucks.

Welcome back, man. Yes, we’re aware of the search issue.  We’re looking to upgrade the forum software soon, which should be a vast improvement.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2020, 07:27:31 PM »

Wow. Welcome back! Long time mystery "solved". Although it raises more questions than it answers.
Mooohn!

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2020, 09:25:13 PM »
Wow. Welcome back! Long time mystery "solved". Although it raises more questions than it answers.

Yes, I am an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a stale corn tortilla.

What questions?

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2020, 09:33:07 PM »
Well for one, who exactly was posting as you, lo those four years ago?

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2020, 09:46:48 PM »
Well for one, who exactly was posting as you, lo those four years ago?

He said his name was Chuck. That’s about all I knew about him.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2020, 08:02:55 AM »
Well, more importantly, why would he post something like that (and under someone else's account)? Did he actually feel angry at the SGU, or was he just trolling? And what was the slap in the face supposed to refer to? Probably not answerable questions at this point, though.
Mooohn!

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2020, 09:40:40 AM »
... stale corn tortilla.

I am hard-pressed to think of a food whose fresh and stale versions are so unlike each other. A warm corn tortilla fresh off the comal is so delicious, the next day it's meh, and the day after that it is nearly inedible.

But welcome back.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg