Author Topic: Episode #583  (Read 2620 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: Episode #583
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 06:00:19 AM »
I concur with those who'd like to see the pictures that were talked about. Dialogue doesn't really work without em.
Mooohn!

Offline optimusLime

• Brand New
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »
Regarding lightning killing a large group of humans, apparently this happened:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/mar/15/theknowledge.sport

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
Here's a guy from Buckeye (West of Phoenix) who was hit by lightning while horseback riding.  He's lucky to have survived, and he has numerous continuing problems.
  http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/southwest-valley/2016/09/12/buckeye-lightning-strike-victim-lives-thank-neighbor/90203928/

His brother was with him, and was unhurt.  The horse died.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 12:52:09 PM »

I thought Evan had his head in a bucket, maybe he was dressed as Iron Man.

I couldn't understand much of what he said at all. It sounded to me like his mic was off.

At any rate, I always cringe when it's a live show. Aside from the occasional production issues, the Rogues, one seemingly in particular, tend to get overly excited and often talk over one another. I recommend less coffee or alcohol and a modicum of restraint by the panel. Just my $0.02.

These are mere annoyances. While I don't prefer live shows, they are still pretty darn good as far as content. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 02:16:48 PM »
The 2nd live pod, for which Dr N. has not yet made a thread, had a much better sound quality.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 02:28:42 PM »
... I always cringe when it's a live show. Aside from the occasional production issues, the Rogues, one seemingly in particular, tend to get overly excited and often talk over one another. I recommend less coffee or alcohol and a modicum of restraint by the panel. Just my $0.02.

I have the same complaint. When they all talk at the same time I cannot hear what any of them are saying, and I am annoyed. The show is extremely informative, but only when I can hear what they are saying, and for that, they need to talk one at a time.

It had not previously occurred to me that alcohol and/or caffeine might be contributing factors. The live shows are always the ones I like the least.

There are other podcasts that I think have the potential to be interesting, but which I cannot listen to because the people talk all at once, making them useless noise.

The SGU remains my favorite podcast. Just the live shows less than the regular ones.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 03:51:02 PM »
The SGU remains my favorite podcast. Just the live shows less than the regular ones.

I get that having a live audience and being at a conference together can be a great experience (for both the panel and the audience), but personally I prefer the regular shows as well. I don't have much of a problem with the audio quality though (though Evan was a little hard to understand from time to time on this one and I get what you mean with people talking over one another). For me, it has more to do with the feel of the show. The regular shows feel like a conversation among friends (albeit a structured one), much more so than on most other podcasts I've listened to, but the live shows really feel like a panel in front of an audience, and it loses some of the sense of intimacy. And there are visual gags in there sometimes that don't translate to audio.

But even so, I'd vastly prefer live SGU recordings to no SGU recordings, and I prefer to hear the live show content to missing it!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:53:20 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 03:55:06 PM »
It had not previously occurred to me that alcohol and/or caffeine might be contributing factors.

or that they're excited to be in the same room together in front of an audience
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 05:18:12 AM »
I've got to say it. The live shows are much better live than they are recorded.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 05:59:44 AM »
I've got to say it. The live shows are much better live than they are recorded.

didn't want to start a humblebrag thread? (RIP Wittels)
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 10:28:05 AM »
It had not previously occurred to me that alcohol and/or caffeine might be contributing factors.

or that they're excited to be in the same room together in front of an audience

And I suppose when they're not together there's an innate and ongoing sound check.

Offline atrox

• Brand New
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 06:31:35 AM »
Hi there,

reptiles are not good at Thanatosis?

DonĀ“t agree... I think this Natrix natrix I wanted to probe did a very good job :-)

best
Aj

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 09:25:32 AM »
He's like: