Author Topic: This is what it looks like when you realize you've lost the culture war.  (Read 9272 times)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses

Him:  "Let's kind of look off into the distance like we're expecting Jesus to show up soon." 

Her:  "I always thought it would be before I died..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/us/donald-trump-christians-gay-marriage.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
Amend and resubmit.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: This is what it looks like when you realize you've lost the culture war.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 02:06:07 PM »
Ma'am, they have been waiting for Jesus to return since before 100 CE.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 02:15:14 PM »
Living not far away, I know this story from the beginning and have no sympathy for these folks.  I find no place in the Bible where it says, "Go forth and make some bucks off marrying people." Most of America has no understanding of the concept of "public accommodation" and why it is law. It is not anti-Christian.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 02:29:20 PM »
The government does not allow gay marriage.  Suddenly the government makes it illegal to not sell products and services for gay marriages.  We can't just let culture change, we need to always use the law to impose our will on everyone.  Makes me so proud actually to oppose people like this when they were the majority and then defend them when they're the minority.  Let's me know that my priorities are in the right place.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 02:54:43 PM »
The government does not allow gay marriage.  Suddenly the government makes it illegal to not sell products and services for gay marriages.  We can't just let culture change, we need to always use the law to impose our will on everyone.  Makes me so proud actually to oppose people like this when they were the majority and then defend them when they're the minority.  Let's me know that my priorities are in the right place.

That's the small picture; the big story is about Christianity losing its place as the default position.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »
I am playing the tiniest violin ever for them.

I can't wait until these people die off.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 03:15:53 PM »

That's the small picture; the big story is about Christianity losing its place as the default position.

I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 03:58:37 PM »

Do you mean these specific individuals, or their demographic generally?
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 04:04:34 PM »

Generally, their demographic.  I don't wish death on specific people, I just hold the optimistic view that antiquated ideas die out when the people holding them die.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 04:04:58 PM »

I would add fundamentalist Christianity. I think most other brands of the faith have figured out that they have to separate personal behavior from universal civil rights. This narrower type of thinking only comes in when a particular denomination dominates a community.

One of the scarier Trump jokes recently was also in Iowa where he had the people who were NOT religious conservatives raise their hand, and then said to the crowd, "Shall we let them stay?"  Of course, the irony is that Trump is personally the least "Christian" (by any flavor) candidate who has ever run, and the fundies are too dumb to figure that out.

Mister Beagle

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 04:09:33 PM »

Generally, their demographic.  I don't wish death on specific people, I just hold the optimistic view that antiquated ideas die out when the people holding them die.

I perceive a replacement generation coming up, who might be more tolerant in some regards, but less in others.

One of the lines in this article that got me was their realization that many of their friends had gay relatives or friends, and even though they were also "Christian," they were offended by this couple's denial of services to gay people. This is an example of where even conservatives adjust their views, but may take on other crazy memes in their place.
Mister Beagle

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 04:48:51 PM »
According to the article, even in the middle of nowhere in Buttfuck Iowa, these two old assholes were ostracized for refusing to rent their place out for a gay wedding. That is a surprise. Interesting. Maybe times really are changing.

I liked how suprised they were about it. "Whiplash," indeed.

Why would you even ask this?
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »
According to the article, even in the middle of nowhere in Buttfuck Iowa, these two old assholes were ostracized for refusing to rent their place out for a gay wedding. That is a surprise. Interesting. Maybe times really are changing.

The interesting thing here in Buttfuck, Iowa, (and maybe evident elsewhere) is that you can still publically be opposed to LGBT people, but don't you dare say mean things about my sweet nephew Carter, who is "not the marrying kind," or my great-aunt Aggie, who lived on the prairie with her "best friend" Beatrice for 40 years.

Mister Beagle

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 05:56:49 PM »
Ah, ha ha ha, this paragraph followed by this picture, someone at the Times has a sense of humor.

“I’m worried for America if we don’t turn away from abortion,” said Mrs. Berkheimer, who is 48. “I think our country is going to be punished, with a nuclear weapon. I don’t think you can mock God forever.”

She quickly added that she was worried she would sound crazy saying such things.

And Jesus Facepalmed.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »

I liked how suprised they were about it. "Whiplash," indeed.

Why would you even ask this?

It was ambiguous.  Either one is about equally grotesque to me.
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.