Author Topic: This is what it looks like when you realize you've lost the culture war.  (Read 7752 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
Re: This is what it looks like when you realize you've lost the culture war.
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2016, 10:41:11 PM »
I see i side stepped a bit for a low hanging fruit as an example because, to your credit, you admitted your stance was ideological on this issue. I don't excuse anyone's behavior, not even really my own and sometimes I regret making a post too personal. I think you misread my initial post about what I'm willing to be snarky about, and t isn't simple disagreement, it's the dead horses of ideology that get beat in the name of proving a point. It happens a lot, with some posters more than others. But I do understand why people do it and maybe if we all took the high road it wouldn't happen, but we are all human and react rather than act at times. There are people on this forum who are remarkably good at ignoring it, I'm somewhere in the middle. I feel like Karyn's post really rung true with me too.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline HanEyeAm

• User Not Found
« Reply #166 on: October 19, 2016, 11:22:06 PM »
What is this MRM and MRA that you speak of?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #167 on: October 20, 2016, 12:57:52 AM »
Sans the strawmen, Andrew's position is in no way "abhorrent;" must you respond to disagreement at all times as if the person who disagrees with you is a monster?

I would be happy to have it pointed out to me where I have created a straw man of Andrew's position.  I don't think you will be able to do so.

Andrew believes that individuals should be able to discriminate in the provision of public accommodations on the basis of race. That is not a straw man of his position; it is his position as he publicly stated it in this thread. That is an idea, regardless of any rationalizations which may underly it, which I abhor and which is, therefore, abhorrent.  Indeed, if I could think of a stronger term to express the depth of my disapproval of that opinion, I would use it.

The straw man comes from other people.  Your assumption about what you think will be the consequences of such policies leading you to assume motivation by others is your issue.  It keeps you from accurately appraising arguments and leads to the sort of close minded indignation in your earlier rant.  That sort of vitriol plays well when preaching to the choir, but that's it.

It is you who are misconstruing my comments and making assumptions, Andrew.  I have made no argument about the consequences of any policy, nor have I suggested any motivation behind your advocating it. I don't care what your motivation is, as I said before. It is the policy itself that I have said is abhorrent, not the motivations behind it or its consequences, and I stand by that assessment.  Do not put words in my mouth, please.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:00:04 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2016, 06:55:23 AM »
Oh, my mistake for assuming your repulsion was based on perceived outcomes and not that my views were repugnant as a base axiom of your world view.  I'll remember this the next time you go into the, "god damn libertarians!" rant and won't waste my time trying to find the source of the contempt.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2016, 08:49:34 AM »
Speaking of perceived outcomes, I never really got a good answer as to how redlining (the practice of businesses such as banks and realtors refusing, usually by omission, to rent or sell homes to minorities) fits into the claim that there will be no segregation without government enforcement.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2016, 09:39:15 AM »
Mind if I just start a new topic regarding discrimination and government?  It was only tangentially related to the OP of this topic anyways and this thread is somewhat tainted in my mind.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2016, 11:45:20 AM »
That being said, I find myself in a pattern.  log into forum -> get immediately caught up in the snark -> realize that's not helping anyone -> look at boobies -> attempt to engage rationally -> learn how other people think -> get sick of the snark, especially when it comes from people I usually agree with ->look at boobies -> leave forums for my real life, which includes far less snark and pedantic disagreement, and far more boobies-> get bored with the lack of rigorous intellectual debate in most places on the internet -> look at boobies -> log back into forum

:laugh:

My pattern is much the same, but with "look at internet pictures of boobies" throw in there in a few places.

Good point.  Fixed.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #172 on: December 08, 2018, 05:06:46 PM »
Milo’s money problems just got worse. Now he’s desperate for cash.

By Alex Bollinger | Thursday, December 6, 2018

Milo Yiannopoulos’s financial troubles are likely to get even worse: Patreon, a platform for content creators to raise money from their fans, just kicked him off.

Last week, the Guardian reported that the former Breitbart editor – who is also a gay Trump supporter, a misogynist Twitter troll, a harasser of transgender college students, a defender of pedophilia, and a live crab gourmetwas $2 million in debt, according to financial documents he shared with an Australian events management firm.

Yiannopoulos more than confirmed the number: “They say I owe $2m. I don’t! It’s at least $4m. Do you know how successful you have to be to owe that kind of money?”

As amazingly successful as Yiannopoulos is, he won’t be able to convert that success to money with Patreon. The platform kicked him off.

He had set up a page there for his “magnificent 2019 comeback,” a “comeback” because he had been kicked off so many other platforms, including the far-right website Breitbart, and blacklisted from conservative events even.

And he was offering donors rewards for donating. For example, if he’s in your town, he’ll invite you to drinks if you give him $750 a month or more. Another reward is a birthday phone call.

The perks weren’t available for long. Yesterday, Patreon tweeted that was removed because “we don’t allow association with or supporting hate groups on Patreon.”

Responses to the tweet were largely positive, but a few conservatives had trouble understanding that the “free markets” they love so much don’t provide any protection from a private company disassociating itself from their movement.

As for Yiannopoulos’s debts being related to how “successful” he is, there is plenty of evidence out there that he’s just bad at managing money.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/12/milos-money-problems-just-got-worse-now-hes-desperate-cash/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:15:52 PM by John Albert »

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #173 on: December 08, 2018, 08:32:09 PM »
Who?

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »
I love this part

Responses to the tweet were largely positive, but a few conservatives had trouble understanding that the “free markets” they love so much don’t provide any protection from a private company disassociating itself from their movement.

Funny how conservatives do not understand the implications of their own arguments.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2018, 04:01:49 PM »
I love this part

Funny how conservatives do not understand the implications of their own arguments.

I wouldn't even characterize the alt-right as "conservative" per se. They're clearly far-right radicals.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Another casualty of the culture war:
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »
Proud Boys Founder Gavin McInnes Lasts Less Than a Week at BlazeTV

David Boddiger | December 9, 2018, 3:51 PM

Photo: Stephanie Keith (Getty Images)

Gavin McInnes seems to be having some professional setbacks since walking away from the Proud Boys, a violent and weird right-wing group he founded to promote “Western chauvinism,” whatever that is.

According to The Hill, McInnes joined BlazeTV—a network “fighting back against the liberal bias of the mainstream media”—last Monday to host a TV version of his podcast, “Get Off My Lawn.” By Saturday, BlazeTV had tweeted that the two were parting ways.

“Blaze Media no longer has a relationship with Gavin McInnes, and per company policy, cannot comment on personnel matters,” BlazeTV tweeted.

https://twitter.com/CRTV/status/1071580043799920642

The announcement comes less than two weeks after it was reported that Australia’s Home Affairs Department had decided to block a visa application by McInnes for a planned speaking tour there next year. According to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, the department had determined that McInnes is “of bad character.”

A petition calling on Australia’s immigration minister to ban McInnes gathered over 81,000 signatures.

“To have allowed him to come still I think would have made it seem as if the Government had given tacit approval at the very least to these calls for violence against people you don’t agree with as a legitimate form of free speech,” the attorney who started the petition, Nyadol Nyuon, told the ABC.

Last month, McInnes left the Proud Boys after the FBI reportedly labeled them an extremist group. However, the head of the FBI in Oregon said earlier this week that the bureau had not designated the Proud Boys as an extremist group.

“We will not open a case if someone belongs to antifa or even the Proud Boys. There has to be a credible allegation or a threat of violence before someone opens a case,” Special Agent in Charge Renn Cannon said, according to The Oregonian.

Nevertheless, the Southern Poverty Law Center noted that “rank-and-file Proud Boys and leaders regularly spout white nationalist memes and maintain affiliations with known extremists. They are known for anti-Muslim and misogynistic rhetoric.”

As for McInnes, the SPLC said he “has ties to the racist right and has contributed to hate sites like VDare.com and American Renaissance, both of which publish the work of white supremacists and so-called ‘race realists.’”

Since McInnes left, the Proud Boys have begun to implode. The group’s new leadership, referred to as the “Elders,” publicly released a set of new bylaws, but did a poor job redacting personal information and ended up doxxing themselves.

Then, the group announced that its new chairman and legal representative, Jason Lee Van Dyke, was out after only two days.

All of this follows several members of the group being criminally charged in connection with a violent attack against protesters outside the Metropolitan Republican Club in New York following a speech by McInnes last October.
https://splinternews.com/proud-boys-founder-gavin-mcinnes-lasts-less-than-a-week-1830970548

personate-rain