Author Topic: Westworld - Spoiler Thread  (Read 9893 times)

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Westworld - Spoiler Thread
« on: October 04, 2016, 08:57:21 AM »
Haven't watched the latest ep? Please don't read this thread.

Okay, ground rules aside. I'm giving it about an 8/10. I think I would rate it higher if I was not trying to hammer it into the Westworld movie I saw and loved back in the 1970s.

Ultimately, I appreciate the first ep doesn't wrap up everything in a nice bow and hand the whole premise to you in the first ep.

The man in black. Is he a robot? We're told there was a catastrophic failure 30 years ago. He mentions he's been visiting for the last 30 years.  Is this a rebooted park from the 1970s movie? As in, the events of the movie are part of this show's back story? A bit like the BSG reboot worked in the original BSG in some capacity. So is he the Yule Brenner robot from the original Westworld? He can't be shot so that hints he's human but maybe he's just evolved and figured out a way to trigger the robot "I'm human" signal.

It does look like this may be a cautionary tale about the future of computer gaming. Think of the horrible worlds we can play in today. Like Grand Theft Auto. What happens when we can construct games with semi sentient, life like robots and let real humans run amok and live out ever sick twisted fantasy they desire? Have you never slaughtered every cop and hooker in sight in Grand Theft Auto for pure kicks?

Word is this will be a 5 year story arc. Hmmm. Hard to see how they keep it up for 5 years.

Anyway, great start. So many mysteries. So much potential.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
Re: Westworld - Spoiler Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:33:37 PM »
Here's hoping that "Medieval World" and "Future World" and all the other stuff touched on in the old film saga come around too....
Well.  There it is.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 01:33:53 PM »
If I recall, in addition to Westworld there was a medieval world, a roman orgy world, and some geriatric paradise. Futureworld was the latter Epcot addition.

I suppose they won't touch medieval world, as it will be too much like Game of Thrones.

Korean Podcast

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 01:50:05 PM »
Oh, sorry, Old Cooter world was added as part of Futureworld.

Korean Podcast

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time

Korean Podcast

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:00:41 PM »
Haven't seen the original movie, but realize that i probably should...

Really enjoyed the first ep. My strong impression is that the man in black is a robot that has at least figured out that they're living in a loop, and that the locals can't hurt the strangers.

After she killed the fly, i wonder if chica will be out of the groundhog day loop as well?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 08:32:49 AM »
I missed that part at the end where she killed the fly. They made it pretty clear flies can crawl all over their faces and into their eyes and they don't react. You'd think, however, they'd build in a "shoo fly" response. It could be very disconcerting to a guest to see that.

I sure hope they don't make the Fear the Walking Dead mistake and jettison the "slow burn" and jump right into the robot apocalypse after 3 eps. I really enjoyed the start of Fear where society is starting to break down, frog in a pot of increasingly hot water style, and people aren't quite putting it together. I think societies tend to collapse that way. There's lots and lots of "tells" for a long time before it all goes to hell in a hand basket ASAP.

Korean Podcast

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 07:15:32 PM »
I missed that part at the end where she killed the fly. They made it pretty clear flies can crawl all over their faces and into their eyes and they don't react. You'd think, however, they'd build in a "shoo fly" response. It could be very disconcerting to a guest to see that.

Yeah, it's a bit hamfisted, as one of the company's people said the words "they literally couldn't hurt a fly." Everything else is so well thought out that reacting to surrounding natural stimuli in a believable manner should be obvious... BUT, I also take it as a "fastforwarding" device: some of the machines are now beyond their protocol, and even if they could have done it better, I'd much rather have a hamfisted premise establisher than 2-3 episodes of trying to make the audience wonder about the same.

I sure hope they don't make the Fear the Walking Dead mistake and jettison the "slow burn" and jump right into the robot apocalypse after 3 eps. I really enjoyed the start of Fear where society is starting to break down, frog in a pot of increasingly hot water style, and people aren't quite putting it together. I think societies tend to collapse that way. There's lots and lots of "tells" for a long time before it all goes to hell in a hand basket ASAP.

I get what you're saying, but the premises are so wildly different that I should think that even if robot apocalypse occurs rapidly, there will be plenty of material to draw from (considering that the protagonists are robots) as opposed to Fear tWD, which turned into a family melodrama with a zombie apocalypse backdrop. TWD survives despite its flaws because it's a survival story with moral ambiguity (though the farm season bordered on what Fear tWD became).

I'm hopeful for Westworld because it presents ALL sorts of moral and ethical questions from both human and robot perspectives, regardless of if/when "the revolt" occurs.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »

As I understand it, the myth arc has started by episode 3.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 12:03:21 AM »
It's Jurassic Park with robots. They even have a 'John Hammond' character with Anthony Hopkins.

I assumed from the time we see Ed Harris, that he is a rogue robot. Though in several places they tried to trick us into who was human and not.

Good pilot.

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 12:41:44 AM »
It's Jurassic Park with robots. They even have a 'John Hammond' character with Anthony Hopkins.

I assumed from the time we see Ed Harris, that he is a rogue robot. Though in several places they tried to trick us into who was human and not.

Good pilot.

Great analogy.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 06:02:18 AM »

Good pilot.

Great analogy.

Doh. I realised after I posted, that both of the movies were written by Michael Crichton. So the similarities are probably intentional, and it would be more apt to say Jurassic Park was 'Westworld with dinosaurs'

I heard one podcaster today describe Westworld as a a modern day "Fantasy Island" (as well as Jurassic Park) (It was Brian Brushwood in the "Spoilerin' Time" version of "Cordkillers" podcast)
I hope they don't go in that direction too far. I'd rather have a robot revolt against their controllers.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 09:01:48 AM »
I really hope they get into the meat of the morality of such a world.

If you decide to run around murdering artificial beings who appear, act, and think that they themselves are human, what kind of person are you?  How does the greater society treat someone who takes trips to Westworld specifically to rape and kill?

Well.  There it is.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »
I'm reminded of the excellent Next Gen ep Measure of a Man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Measure_of_a_Man_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

I was very much on the fence regarding TNG until that ep. That won me over.

Korean Podcast

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 10:03:51 AM »
I'm reminded of the excellent Next Gen ep Measure of a Man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Measure_of_a_Man_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

I was very much on the fence regarding TNG until that ep. That won me over.

A truly great episode of the show.  Perhaps the ONLY truly great episode of the first or second season. 

If that show hadn't carried the "Star Trek" brand name, it would have been cancelled mid-first season.

Some really unfortunate, regrettable stuff in those early years.
Well.  There it is.

personate-rain