Author Topic: Westworld - Spoiler Thread  (Read 22754 times)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • View Profile
Re: Westworld - Spoiler Thread
« Reply #255 on: August 30, 2018, 11:47:41 AM »
Binged on this earlier this year.  Loved Season 1; it’s a contender for the best single season of any series.  Season 2 was okay, but it would have been hard for it to match Season 1, and it didn’t.

People who binge Westworld seem to enjoy it more than those who watch it week to week.

All the secrets (of S1) had been picked apart by the internet early on and it was a grind waiting for the slow week by week reveal to show what we already knew.

S2 was just glacially slow on a week by week basis. We started at the end in Ep.1 and took 10 weeks to show how we got there.

The once a week model feels so outdated.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 30, 2018, 01:50:15 PM »
But how are you supposed to cancel something in the middle of a season otherwise?

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 31, 2018, 01:37:32 PM »
Binged on this earlier this year.  Loved Season 1; it’s a contender for the best single season of any series.  Season 2 was okay, but it would have been hard for it to match Season 1, and it didn’t.

People who binge Westworld seem to enjoy it more than those who watch it week to week.

All the secrets (of S1) had been picked apart by the internet early on and it was a grind waiting for the slow week by week reveal to show what we already knew.

S2 was just glacially slow on a week by week basis. We started at the end in Ep.1 and took 10 weeks to show how we got there.

The once a week model feels so outdated.

I genuinely prefer a weekly episode reveal, over binging. But I do avoid spoilers of whatever I'm watching in that manner, if it is possible to watch it online earlier. Even tv series that I'm watching on dvd I'll rarely watch more than two episodes in a row (even those with 30 min episodes).

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2018, 04:32:39 PM »

didn't feel that way at all to me.
Season 1 was a very very slow paced kind of story,
and season 2 felt like OMG SO MUCH IS HAPPENING, EVERY EPISODE, to me. like 5 seasons of lost in one season.
half way through I started listening to the podcasts, too, and that was neat. wouldn't do that if I could marathon it.
"Skepticism is the first step on the road to philosophy."

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2018, 08:11:06 AM »
I really would have liked to spent another season in the park with guests and hosts doing guest and host things.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2018, 11:12:49 AM »
Or in a different park, focusing on different people/hosts. But I guess doing that isn't any more possible than it was in Heroes, and main characters have to carry over to the next season.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • View Profile
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #261 on: March 16, 2020, 05:49:34 AM »
Holy shit.  I cannot overstate how much the premiere has sold me on the direction this season is going.  I really can't think of any nits to pick at all; the music is on point, managing to still sound like Westworld but changing for the setting appropriately, the acting is fantastic, the mystery is not overbearing and they are dropping plenty of clues to try and figure out what's going on and where we're going, and I really like the story they seem to be setting up, complete with some themes already becoming clear.  I really cannot wait to see where this goes.

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 17, 2020, 02:32:12 AM »
Not to mention, the future tech was most impressive. I loved the drone/helicopter combo as a passenger vehicle. Maybe some day...
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 23, 2020, 12:36:21 AM »
Tonight's cameo was AWESOME!

So far, I really like where this season is heading.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • View Profile
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #264 on: March 23, 2020, 04:37:07 AM »
Tonight's cameo was AWESOME!

I actually really disliked the cameo; it felt way too out of place for me.  That kind of humor seems very a-tonal for Westworld's usual vibe.  Aside from that moment though, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 24, 2020, 01:13:02 AM »
It's only two episodes in, but this is shaping up to be my favorite season.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2020, 03:29:39 AM »
I'm not liking the show at all.  I do not like the current direction but I think I may have mentioned that I also hated the previous direction. They lost most of that I believe Michael Crichton would have wanted to tell in the story and downplayed all the important parts.

Its nice to know they have a medieval fantasy world. The cameo makes perfect sense as would other common fantasy tropes. I would expect to see Frodo, Harry Potter and Camelot too. Now lets get to the day to day operations of that park which should be the focus of the story.

edit*  I should include that I still think its visually interesting enough to keep watching.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:38:31 AM by Captain Video »

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 25, 2020, 11:21:41 PM »
I missed the cameo. I only found out from a video podcast that I watch, mentioned them.

I recognised the dragon when I saw it, but the other 2 people, I didn't really know what they looked like. I only knew them by name.

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 26, 2020, 01:18:21 AM »
I recognized them immediately from watching all of the behind the scenes stuff on HBO. And the dragon was a nice payoff.