Author Topic: True Crime Podcasts  (Read 855 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
True Crime Podcasts
« on: October 06, 2016, 10:24:48 AM »
So... with the big success of Serial there have been a whole slew of people creating their own short-form podcasts, and I have to admit that I've been eating these things up. A couple of my (relatively recent) favorites:

Undisclosed - This is the podcast hosted by Adnan Syed's cousin and a couple of lawyers who rose to some prominence poking holes in the case that got Syed put in jail. They've been pursuing a new case in season 2 involving a guy who was convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend's new beau on pretty shaky seeming evidence. Unlike Syed, it doesn't look like this guy has much in the way of chances to get out, however.

In The Dark - about a kid who was abducted and murdered in 1989 . The killer went uncaught for decades; in fact, it appears to have been this podcast uprooting a lot of stuff and perhaps shaming the local police to get into gear that led to the arrest and confession of the murderer a couple days before the first episode aired. This show is in some ways the reverse of a lot of these shows, which tend to be about a person who was wrongly accused and convicted of a crime. Instead, it's about why the original investigation team wasn't able to find the killer, how the case blew up to the point where it became a giant media circus, and how the case lingered on for years and years (I guess there is a point in there where the police locked in on a guy 10 years after the fact, but it's only a chapter of the story).

The Accused - Young woman murdered in her apartment in 1978. Her boyfriend was immediately implicated and, following a 15 hour(!) interrogation session at the local police station, confessed to the crime. Luckily for him, he "confessed" to facts that were incorrect in the case, the state had nothing substantively on him, and in the end he was not only acquitted of the crime but also won a lawsuit filed against him by his girlfriend's family (an OJ Simpson - Ronald Goldman type situation). However, the police decided that facts be damned, they found their man and closed the case. This picks the case back up and... man, there's one really, really good suspect in there...

Oh, and this one doesn't exactly count, but...

Crime Writers On... - Originally called "Crime Writers On Serial", this is a podcast with 4 true crime novelists who review and rate the various true crime stuffs that are out there. This is, admittedly, the place where I get a lot of "leads" for these kinds of shows. This week they're going to be reviewing The Accused, actually. It's also very enjoyable in its own right, even if you don't watch/listen to what they're reviewing (they've recently done that OJ miniseries, which I haven't seen but which they thought was OK, and that thing on Jon-Benet Ramsey, which they thought was trash in spite of the presence of Jim Clemente).

Pls 2 name your own and/or comment on the current ones!
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
Re: True Crime Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:03:46 AM »
Sword and Scale - sometimes in the early days, this guy gets a bit far down the conspiratorial rabbit hole, but overall it's pretty good. Focuses on the story telling.

Criminal - I feel like this could be an NPR short.

Case File - From Australia, so it has cases you don't tend to get in the states.  Well produced with some dramatic flair.

Real Crime Profile - from the people that bring you the Criminal Minds TV series, totally worth it.  They tend to focus on a crime for a series of episodes.

I sporadically listen to Liar City, but I haven't developed much of an opinion.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »
I have Sword and Scale on my podcast list but haven't listened to it in... over a year, I think (I specifically remember binge-listening to it when I was in Denver).
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 04:49:57 PM »
My Favorite Murder: it's the only one I listen to, not necessarily for the crime but because I enjoy the hosts' banter. Karen and Georgia really enjoy the murders, and it works for them.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 02:38:56 PM »
Just finished The Accused and it is 100% as rageworthy as my little summary implied. The DA won't even give the reporter a "no comment" on this case. That also means there's no "In The Dark" moment in which he obliquely states that he went after the one suspect because he didn't like something he said (yes, that moment happened in "In The Dark"; the prosecutor as much as said "this is what happens when you talk to the press" when grilled on why he went after one "person of interest" so relentlessly). The original suspect and the family of the victim are, weirdly, on the same side of the case now (I guess not *that* weirdly, as the original suspect was the victim's long-term boyfriend) and are also on the opposite side of the state, who continues to insist that evidence and multiple juries be damned, the suspect confessed and therefore he is guilty.

I think...

(click to show/hide)

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 08:39:28 PM »
"Generation Why" is another good one. They delve a bit to deeply into woo and conspiracy at times, but overall they seem like genuine people trying to understand situations in true crime and unsolved mysteries.

Online Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 06:25:17 AM »
Sword and Scale - sometimes in the early days, this guy gets a bit far down the conspiratorial rabbit hole, but overall it's pretty good. Focuses on the story telling.

Criminal - I feel like this could be an NPR short.

Case File - From Australia, so it has cases you don't tend to get in the states.  Well produced with some dramatic flair.

Real Crime Profile - from the people that bring you the Criminal Minds TV series, totally worth it.  They tend to focus on a crime for a series of episodes.

I sporadically listen to Liar City, but I haven't developed much of an opinion.

I also love Sword and Scale and Criminal.

While the production is often terrible, Dan Zupanski's True Murder: The Most Shocking Murders in True Crime History, is quite interesting as he interviews true crime writers about their books and cases.

Discover have podcasts of a few of their shows, Detective is one of the best.
Good true crime is hard to come by, podcasts I have tried and stopped: Generation Why, and I might have to look through the true crime section to say others I haven't liked.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 09:02:09 AM »

They actually piss me off because I think they are going way to far with what the evidence actually supports
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain