Author Topic: Episode #589  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #589
« on: October 22, 2016, 12:29:10 PM »
Forgotten Superheroes of Science: Stanislav Petrov; News Items: Musk, Obama and Mars; Encyclopedia of Life; Science and Colonialism; Who’s that Noisy; What’s the Word: Taphonomy; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Episode #589
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:38:17 PM »
I appreciated Steve's nuanced discussion of the issues of science and colonialism. I hope that SGU listeners check out his blog post, and rich dialogue that took place in the comments. I adore Jay, but I was upset by his response to the video. I think his reaction is unfortunately common among skeptics and science enthusiasts. This type of knee-jerk, over-simplified thinking can really alienate underrepresented groups. There is a lot of nuance and context to consider. I'm glad that Steve explained some of the complexity of the issue.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »
I totally respect and admire Elon Musk. Tesla makes the best cars on the road. I drive one of them and it's super-cool, and I own stock in both Tesla and Solar City. But like the namesake of his company, Musk has at least one idea that's totally nuts: Colonization of Mars. Ain't gonna happen. Nobody is going to invest that kind of money without a financial incentive, and there isn't one. I do expect that we'll send people there to do science, and maybe some day we'll have a research station there with rotating staff. But a permanent colony with cities, nope.

And to correct one mistake Steve made: Tesla does make a profit. It does not pay dividends because all the profits are going back into R&D and building plant. It's a growth company. And plowing your profits back into growth is different than not making a profit.

A bit off topic, I just recently got my shareholder proxy from both Tesla and Solar City to vote on the merger of the two companies. I voted for, because that's the recommendation of the board, and while I think that Musk is nuts on the subject of Mars, I trust his business judgement on electric cars and solar electricity production.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 06:22:45 PM »
My last-minute guess on Who's That Noisy?, seconds before Jay gave the answer, was a recording of frogs played backwards. It's perhaps the closest I've ever been on WTN.

And to the suggestions for naming Planet 9, it should be noted that the naming convention for planets is that they have to be named after gods of the classical pantheon. So "Planet McPlanetface" is out, as are "Planet 9 From Outer Space" and "Jay."
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 06:28:09 PM »
I wouldn't hold my breath for a computer that can understand natural human speech. Google does surprisingly well at searches, but from that to truly understanding natural speech would be like monkeys going from making stone flakes to building automobiles.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Donalbain

• Brand New
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 07:56:32 PM »
Could this be the first episode to drop an f-bomb? (CSM around minute 31 – maybe the influence of the Liverpool Skeptics?)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 09:29:34 AM »
My "guess" for Who's that Noisy.

Knowing the song made it easy to find. (Money, Money, Money by ABBA)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 03:02:28 PM »
I could tell the Noisy was a frog chorus but I am not so much an expert to name the species.  It's too bad that the sound of frogs may be an anachronism.  Places I used to go for frogs and toads in California are silent now.  The chytrid fungus is a worldwide holocaust for amphibians. 
  It seems that "Mars One" is not so much in the news lately.  Perhaps people are starting to think the whole idea of going to Mars without a return ticket to make a reality show where everyone dies is not as compelling as it was.  I like the strategy of Jeff Bezos much more.  He is concentrating on rocketry and deploying satellites.  The fantasy of Musk colonizing Mars puts Musk firmly in my "kook" demographic.  I heard in the news recently that Musk is soliciting other billionaires for money.  I don't think Musk is a scammer like Bas Lansdorf but his fantasy is just as farcical.  I hope he doesn't tank his company, dumping money into his Mars project.  It makes his other companies more susceptible to risk when his capital is going to his pipe dream.  I feel for the Tesla shareholders. 

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 04:52:51 AM »
I appreciated Steve's nuanced discussion of the issues of science and colonialism. I hope that SGU listeners check out his blog post, and rich dialogue that took place in the comments. I adore Jay, but I was upset by his response to the video. I think his reaction is unfortunately common among skeptics and science enthusiasts. This type of knee-jerk, over-simplified thinking can really alienate underrepresented groups. There is a lot of nuance and context to consider. I'm glad that Steve explained some of the complexity of the issue.
I certainly fall more to Steve and Cara's line of thinking more, but it was fantastic to hear a different reaction engaged with and discussed.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 11:41:14 AM »
The show I downloaded was corrupted or broken somehow such that I couldn't play it.  Had to go to the website and listen directly.  Hopefully it was just a one-time glitch at my end.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 11:54:08 AM »
Steve thinks it's important to hedge the human race's bets with a Mars colony in case Earth, for example, gets swathed in a gamma ray burst. As far as that example goes, wouldn't a Mars colony, likely be hit by the same burst?

Offline EdWood

• Brand New
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 11:55:29 AM »
I am skeptical of the claim that "Plan 9 From Outer Space" features a man in an ape suit wearing a diving helmet. That would be "Robot Monster."

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 12:36:24 PM »
I am skeptical of the claim that "Plan 9 From Outer Space" features a man in an ape suit wearing a diving helmet. That would be "Robot Monster."
I'm pretty sure you're right.  Regardless, IX is a superior name.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 01:00:11 PM »
And to the suggestions for naming Planet 9, it should be noted that the naming convention for planets is that they have to be named after gods of the classical pantheon. So "Planet McPlanetface" is out, as are "Planet 9 From Outer Space" and "Jay."

I propose "forkus"

Phorcys (Φόρκυς), god of the hidden dangers of the deep
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 01:30:21 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline cmflyer

• Brand New
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 01:03:20 PM »

In Montana we have a constitutional mandate to include Indian Education for All in all school curriculum, including science. It's difficult at times to find places to insert Native conceptions and not seem contrived, silly, or patronizing. As a science teacher, I try to include stories of place when we study the geology and geography of western Montana, along with Native use of the stars, sun, and moon in their daily and seasonal lives.

personate-rain