Author Topic: Jack Chick is dead  (Read 2330 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Jack Chick is dead
« on: October 24, 2016, 06:07:25 PM »
https://newrepublic.com/minutes/138111/jack-chick-soul-winner-catholic-hater-dead

Jack Chick, soul-winner and Catholic-hater, is dead.

Chick, who produced hundreds of fundamentalist Christian tracts over 50 years, passed yesterday at the age of 92. He was initially known for tracts like “This Was Your Life,” which used compelling and sometimes frightening visuals to depict fundamentalist beliefs about hell and salvation. His contribution to the Satanic Panic rightfully earned him public infamy, as did his fear-mongering about feminism, LGBT rights, New Age spirituality, and even Catholicism.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Ah.hell

Re: Jack Chick is dead
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 06:21:11 PM »
Every 5 or so years over the last 20ish years, I'd find one his little comic in a public restroom or see a link to a new one on the internets and think, "Jack Chick is still alive?"     Hmm...I'm curious if someone will take over for him, I bet they will, probably already have. 

ETA, I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before but....

What were the Chick tracts for?  Did he actually think they were compelling enough to win converts?  Was it just preaching to the crazy choir? 

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 06:52:46 PM »
Good. F**k that guy and his adherents who stuffed my parent's mailbox with the tracts because I played D&D in the 80s.  >:D
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:05:30 PM »
Good. F**k that guy and his adherents who stuffed my parent's mailbox with the tracts because I played D&D in the 80s.  >:D
Technically illegal to stuff anything into a mail box with out paying postage. 

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 07:09:18 PM »
Technically illegal to stuff anything into a mail box with out paying postage.
Probably one of the many reasons the cowards did it without knocking on the door.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 07:22:25 PM »
Almost wish there was a heaven and when he went there, there was everybody he wrote against up there. . . . .
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 07:30:17 PM »
What were the Chick tracts for?  Did he actually think they were compelling enough to win converts?

They are for making Jack Chick money - 17¢ per comic, for an extra fee they'll print them with your group's phone number on the back page.  They sell them in bulk to churches and religious groups to pass out so it will seem like they're proselytizing without actually bothering anyone in person, or the embarrassment of standing on a street corner with signs.  I don't think they'll be going away.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 07:50:14 PM »
I hated the guy, not going to say I'm sorry to hear he's dead, but I refuse to be happy in any persons death.

So....meh.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 07:51:17 AM »
I absolutely despised this guy for one reason:

When I was a server the summer before starting law school people would sometimes leave copies of his tracts as TIPS.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 08:14:49 AM »
I'd never heard of this person.  Is this a regional thing, or is it one of those things I'd know if I had grown up a believer?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 08:21:02 AM »
Nah. he's right in your wheelhouse. I've seen the comics up in Canada but they should be illegal.
Mostly just litter really. As I said in the Celebrity Death Pool, I hope they bury him under a mountain of his own filth.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »
Nah. he's right in your wheelhouse.

I don't think I understand this response.  Perhaps your understanding of the meaning of the idiom 'be in one's wheelhouse' is different from mine?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 09:06:12 AM »
Look up Chick Tract
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_tract

I would be amazed if you have never seen one. . . .I was in France and Isreal and saw them there
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 09:13:40 AM »
Look up Chick Tract

I would be amazed if you have never seen one. . . .I was in France and Isreal and saw them there

Of course the first thing I did was look him up.  I've never in my life seen one of these "tracts." Again, I don't know whether this is because of geography or having been raised secularly, or just being oblivious.  I mean, if I saw one it's not exactly something I would pick up and read...

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 09:53:09 AM »
Look up Chick Tract

Of course the first thing I did was look him up.  I've never in my life seen one of these "tracts." Again, I don't know whether this is because of geography or having been raised secularly, or just being oblivious.  I mean, if I saw one it's not exactly something I would pick up and read...

It could be a geographic thing. If you're in any kind of contact with fudamentalists you were pretty likely to encounter one. I'd never actually encountered one (though I was aware of them) "in the wild" so to speak before I started as a waiter in 2007. Then I would occasionally get, usually older customers, leaving them as tips.