Author Topic: Jack Chick is dead  (Read 2507 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Jack Chick is dead
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »
I'm not in touch with many fundamentalists, no.  I mean, I have an uncle and cousins who are born again, but I don't see them regularly and we don't discuss religion (apart from the time he tried to discuss the second law of thermodynamics with me and found himself quickly sunk).  I knew some fundies in high school, but they wouldn't have tried to hand me a Chick Tract.  Say they'd pray for me, maybe...
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »
What were the Chick tracts for?  Did he actually think they were compelling enough to win converts?

They are for making Jack Chick money - 17¢ per comic, for an extra fee they'll print them with your group's phone number on the back page.  They sell them in bulk to churches and religious groups to pass out so it will seem like they're proselytizing without actually bothering anyone in person, or the embarrassment of standing on a street corner with signs.  I don't think they'll be going away.
This just transfer my question to the people that buy them.  Are they so delusional that they think Chick Tracts are effective prostelytizing tools?

It is mildly surprising to me that someone hasn't run across a chick tract once in a while.  Like I side, I've found them mostly in public bathrooms across the country.  FL, CA, WA.    You don't need to be in contact with fundies, they seem to leave them around like Johnny Appleseed left well, appleseeds

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 10:41:18 AM »
What were the Chick tracts for?  Did he actually think they were compelling enough to win converts?
You don't need to be in contact with fundies, they seem to leave them around like Johnny Appleseed left well, appleseeds

Well by "in contact" I mean in an area where you might have a decent amount of them living. They were basically a more annoying version of the "Gideon Bibles" that get left in hotel rooms.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
It is mildly surprising to me that someone hasn't run across a chick tract once in a while.  Like I side, I've found them mostly in public bathrooms across the country.  FL, CA, WA.    You don't need to be in contact with fundies, they seem to leave them around like Johnny Appleseed left well, appleseeds

Well, I'm not in the habit of picking up things left in public bathrooms, so...
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 11:03:12 AM »

Well, I'm not in the habit of picking up things left in public bathrooms, so...

Oh, come on.  Are you telling me that you wouldn't go for this sweet under-urinal treat from Montreal?

Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 11:35:02 AM »
If it's from Tim Horton's, then it's still good, eh.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 11:52:03 AM »
That looks like McDonalds which is close to piss anyway.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 12:02:44 PM »
This just transfer my question to the people that buy them.  Are they so delusional that they think Chick Tracts are effective prostelytizing tools?

Just my speculation here, with a few anecdotes.

Smaller churches and non-denominational religious clubs buy them with church funds and print their contact info on the back.  Then they ask people to go leave them in public bathrooms, grocery store coupon shelves, military housing complexes, etc.  So they sort of get points for proselytizing, but I think they're really looking for new blood in their ranks.  It's a lot like those Nigerian scam e-mails - their target audience is people who are *really* gullible, so the simple-minded stories in the tracts are good bait.

I knew a guy in Nuke school who went to one of these youth groups that he found out about by something similar to a Chick Tract that was left in the barracks.  The tract got him to call, but the cultish behavior of the group is what snared him.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:07:53 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 12:12:47 PM »
I knew a guy in Nuke school who went to one of these youth groups that he found out about by something similar to a Chick Tract that was left in the barracks.  The tract got him to call, but the cultish behavior of the group is what snared him.

I think one of the first ones I ever saw was in nuke school  :-[

(click to show/hide)
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 12:15:08 PM »
When I was in Nuke School they had a van with a bunch of pretty girls asking guys to come to the "Party" at their church.  Then a block down, two old men telling us all we were going to hell. 

I suppose you're probably right, they're looking for the low hanging fruit.  I just can't imagine anyone reading the badly drawn, hate-filled on often just bizarre morals in Chick tracts and thinking, "yep, that's for me!"  Bizarre, like, molest your daughter, who cares as long as you find Jesus but fuck you if you're a Catholic. 

I think one of the first ones I ever saw was in nuke school  :-[

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »
When I was in Nuke School they had a van with a bunch of pretty girls asking guys to come to the "Party" at their church.  Then a block down, two old men telling us all we were going to hell. 

I suppose you're probably right, they're looking for the low hanging fruit.  I just can't imagine anyone reading the badly drawn, hate-filled on often just bizarre morals in Chick tracts and thinking, "yep, that's for me!"  Bizarre, like, molest your daughter, who cares as long as you find Jesus but fuck you if you're a Catholic. 

I would think that some of their tracts might drive people away. It might have been a very tiny factor in my turning away from Christianity.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 12:28:17 PM »
Engineering rocks. I'm a retired MMC.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 12:36:58 PM »
More Navy bitching.
(click to show/hide)
But I digress...

Yeah, I've got to figure anyone who actually read the tracts would be more likely revolted by the contents than inclined to call up the local church of hate.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 12:44:02 PM »
Engineering rocks. I'm a retired MMC.

You should start a sea stories thread, chief.

By "engineering" do you mean A-gang?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:46:21 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »
More nuke discussion

(click to show/hide)

There is a movie based on one of Jack Chick's comic. Dark Dungeons.

The movie Mazes and Monsters is what interested me in Dungeons and Dragons in the first place. I could see the tract Dark Dungeons doing the same thing.

— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain