Author Topic: Arrival (2016)  (Read 2674 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Arrival (2016)
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 09:06:50 AM »
Remember, "2001" was based on a short story, as was "Thing From Another World".

Sure, many movies have been based on short stories. Some are good, bad, worse than the original, better than the original. What's your point?

I didn't mean to imply that basing a movie on a short story was a misguided idea. I just found that this particular story did not scream "would  make a great movie!". It's still a good story, but the movie expands and improves upon it, in my humble opinion.
Wasn't arguing with you, just adding to the data pool.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 03:49:54 PM »
Wow, this was an amazing movie. A bit mindfucky in the end, but yes, really really good. Very similar to Contact in some regards, but much much better.

Amazing music and sound design as well...

One thing that bugs me: how the hell can a linguistics professor afford such a house?

Offline Gravity Allen

• Off to a Start
  • Hi! I'm a linguist!
    • The Ling Space
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 07:35:51 PM »
Wow, this was an amazing movie. A bit mindfucky in the end, but yes, really really good. Very similar to Contact in some regards, but much much better.

One thing that bugs me: how the hell can a linguistics professor afford such a house?

;D At her age? Yeah, maybe not. But full professors -- at least, the ones here in Montreal? Definitely.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »

Meh, that's American TV/Film, look at the apartment a waitress and what exactly did Monica do on Friends could afford on friends.  Everybody lives in a mansion or the ghetto/trailer park.  Side note, I can only remember what Ross and Joey did for a living.

Offline Gravity Allen

• Off to a Start
  • Hi! I'm a linguist!
    • The Ling Space
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »
I hope some of you might be interested in this:

We did interviews with each of the linguists who consulted on the film, and I think they gave some really cool answers! ^_^ I'm biased, of course, but I hope you'll find insight in what they had to say about the portrayal of their field on the big screen.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 05:28:42 AM »

Ask yourself when did she buy it?  ;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Gravity Allen

• Off to a Start
  • Hi! I'm a linguist!
    • The Ling Space
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 02:12:33 AM »
I have to admit some jealousy in my own channel not having the budget to talk with the actual filmmakers, but this is just *too cool* not to share. "The portrayal of scientists in Arrival was far above what we've generally seen from Hollywood" is high praise, indeed. This 'episode' did a particularly nice job of characterizing why I wasn't as bothered as I thought I would be with its application of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis -- how taking an idea to its logically possible extreme really lies at the heart of good science fiction.

One thought I had while watching: human language isn't quite as linear as it's made out to be. In fact, the author Ted Chiang drew inspiration from signed languages, which have the benefit of recruiting multiple channels at once in communicating thought. For instance, the event described by a sentence (e.g., "Ian walks") can be modified with a kind of adverbial facial expression which endures over the course of the sentence (e.g., "Ian walks quickly"), and which is simultaneous to the hand movements that convey the primary content. Even spoken languages have tone, intonation, stress, et cetera. The information that something like "You wrote that?" is a question is actually superimposed on top of the segmental material (the individual speech sounds), through pitch.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:34:57 AM by Gravity Allen »

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 01:48:15 AM »
This video explained to me why I liked this movie so goddamn much.

Spoiler heavy, this is only for those that have seen the movie.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 07:22:24 AM »
Did about 30 seconds of his voice...

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 09:15:10 AM »
Did about 30 seconds of his voice...

Wow. You got me beat. I managed 20 seconds.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 11:23:55 AM »
It almost got me, too, but I liked Arrival so I stuck it out.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 11:41:16 AM »
Couldn't get past 4:16.

Loved the movie. Nice to get something different for a change.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »
BTW, if you like this genre check out "Predestination", the Oz adaptation of "All You Zombies." (If you don't know what that is I will have to tie you to a rock and let eagles rip out your liver. (What? It's been done? DAMNIT!))

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2017, 01:32:14 PM »
Hmmm, his voice doesn't bother me at all, in fact I kinda like the weird affectations he has.  Oh well, to each their own.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2017, 01:35:45 PM »
Hmmm, his voice doesn't bother me at all, in fact I kinda like the weird affectations he has.  Oh well, to each their own.
After you've seen a few thousand bad 1960s scifi movie robots and computer try to sound "robotic"...

personate-rain
personate-rain