Author Topic: Episode #590  (Read 3449 times)

Offline postwaste

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Episode #590
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
Regarding exceptions to lying. Dr. Novella used the example of lying to protect Jews from the Nazis. He said no one would object to that. Unfortunately, there are. I was taught in the church I grew up in that lying is ALWAYS wrong, even to save a life. The example of the Nazis was used. Pretty messed up, I know.

Well, no moral person would do so.

Indeed.

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »
I don't think Steven pronounced it correctly either since he stretched it out.

From what I understand, you don't really pronounce the "de" so it's more like "cood grahs".

Interesting. I've never heard that.

But what about Samhain? If it's pronounced like "sow-an" or whatever, why in the world would it have been spelled that way when translated from Gaelic? Why not just spell it "sowan"?

It would be like translating the word "barbecue" to Gaelic and chiding them when they pronounce it, as it appears in Gaelic, like "boopboopdeedoo".

It's a crazy ass world.

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2016, 11:23:57 AM »
"coup de grĂ¢ce"

From what I understand, you don't really pronounce the "de" so it's more like "cood grahs".

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/coup_de_gr%C3%A2ce

(There's an audio clip at the bottom of the entry.)
It's pronounced coop dee gracie
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »
Oh, man, I always thought it was coup de ville.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2016, 01:21:44 PM »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2016, 01:22:46 PM »
I gotta admit that the idea of dark energy is so weird that I would not mind all that much if it turned out to not exist. I mean, it's supposed to make the universe expand at an accelerating rate, and if I understand correctly, it's supposed to remain constant per unit volume of space, so that it increases as the universe expands. Doesn't that violate the conservation of energy? And the idea that the universe could expand at an ever-accelerating rate forever just seems like bad form. I will look forward to further information, though my chances of being around in 15 years are not great.

Conservation of energy only applies locally in General Relativity and it does not hold in an expanding universe.  This sometimes upsetting fact is true if you have dark energy or not.

(click to show/hide)

Okay, that's just weird. I'm not disputing it. I'm just calling it weird.

Interesting. I've never heard that.

But what about Samhain? If it's pronounced like "sow-an" or whatever, why in the world would it have been spelled that way when translated from Gaelic? Why not just spell it "sowan"?

It would be like translating the word "barbecue" to Gaelic and chiding them when they pronounce it, as it appears in Gaelic, like "boopboopdeedoo".

It's a crazy ass world.

Gaelic words are always spelled crazy. I think they use the Latin alphabet but assigned sounds to letters in a totally random fashion. I think they spell cow as kurheylkigyhkeuyhfltgdriuhliseuhrflegritjhworiuthgwrig. Or maybe that's Welsh.  ::)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2016, 01:34:44 PM »
The problem is that there are more sounds than we have letters for on the one hand (and us dumb dummies even have more letters than we have sounds - I'm looking at you, C/K/Q/S which combine for 2 different sounds), and specific letter combinations for other sounds that maybe should be their own letters (hey ch, th, sh, how's it going?).

So you try to approximate a different language, with different sounds, using english letters.  I remember from New Zealand that 'wh' and 'f' are both used for Maori words, and sounded pretty much the same as each other to me, but seemed like they didn't sound the same to them.

So for the Samhain example - it might sound like "sowan" or something to us, but one thing I remember from watching PBS one time is that there is an actual physical/developmental issue where you can't hear the distinction between some sounds that aren't distinct in the language you grow up speaking.  Without knowing anything about it, I'd imagine that the letters 'mh' were assigned to some Gaelic sound that is similar to but distinct (to a Gaelic speaker) from the 'w' sound.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2016, 07:42:10 AM »
  If anyone would like to know a little more about "Patient Zero" Radiolab had an episode a few years back (IIRC) which was quite cool.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/169879-patient-zero/

Damo

Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline bastet

• Brand New
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2016, 11:26:53 AM »
first time posting here - hope I'm not breaking any rules/conventions.

Just listened to #590. Dark energy is interesting. Remembered reading ages ago that the statistics used in physics measurements is not necessarily as good as it should be.

I'm Irish so a few things to say about the language: Samhain (which I have always pronounced - and heard pronounced - as "Sow"-an as in a pig sow and not "sow" as in sowing seeds or "sew" ) is an Irish word (or Gaelic to those of you who are not Irish - we call it irish, everyone else seem to call in Gaelic) so no surprise the spelling looks odd. It gets translated as Hallowe'en because that's the modern equivalent but obviously Samhain is more appropriate to use when discussing the origins of Hallowe'en.

I could bore people for ages with Irish spelling and pronunciation but I'll restrict it to saying that "h" after a consonant isn't a real letter in Irish/Gaelic. h is a "seimhiu" (lenition/aspiration) which changes the letter before it. mh will either become a w sound (as in Samhain) or a v sound (as in seimhiu or the name Niamh). We don't use the letters w or v (or z, q, j, k, y) at all.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:39:40 AM by bastet »

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2016, 12:27:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Bastet.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bastet

• Brand New
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2016, 04:09:43 PM »
Thanks. :)

Offline Astronomianova

• Brand New
  • Enthusiastically unexcited
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2016, 07:23:34 PM »
first time posting here - hope I'm not breaking any rules/conventions.

Just listened to #590. Dark energy is interesting. Remembered reading ages ago that the statistics used in physics measurements is not necessarily as good as it should be.

The statistics in the original SN data sets were not as good as they should have been.  A Supernova Cosmology Project team recently did a very careful statistical analysis of SN data and the findings were consistent with the original results (with less uncertainty).  This received no press.

It is very important to note that the very publicized paper talked about in the podcast (published in Scientific Reports) about SN data is also consistent with the original data but includes the possibility of constant expansion on the extreme edge of the data spread.  The authors for some reason have decided that the extreme edge is perhaps correct.  It is OK to guess that but it is not well motivated and it has been pointed out that the Scientific Reports paper has errors or is at least not sufficiently rigorous as to justify the claims of the authors.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 08:35:36 PM »
As to why Irish is not spelled phonetically in English.
Im not a linguist.
But.
Irish was originally not written in a phonetic alphabet, it was written in oagham (ohm) which was a crude alphabet and there was a gradual change across to what is currently the recognised roman alphabet (my mother learned a different alphabet in school for Irish)
So the 'mh' and 'gh' sounds are actually the nearest approximations to similar letters in another format as decided by a very small group of elite academics.

The easiest way to think of it is in the various countries in europe who use the roman alphabet and have completely different pronounciations of certain letters.
I guess a Spanish person could equally ask why we all pronounce 'j' in a weird way?

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2016, 10:16:48 AM »
I guess a Spanish person could equally ask why we all pronounce 'j' in a weird way?

I had a classmate in Spanish class who had previously studied French and German at the same time. The letter J gave her no end of grief in those earlier classes. People thought there was something wrong with her. I wonder how many languages she speaks now.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain