Author Topic: Should I get a kindle and which one?  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
Should I get a kindle and which one?
« on: November 14, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »
I want something small that I can put in my purse to pull out and read while waiting for people, or when I wake up at 2am. I'm looking at the newest lineup of kindles and fires.  I've decided on a kindle, since I have an ipad and only want this to read, but I'm not sure which features are worth it to spring for.  Are the 'special offers' annoying?  How important is the backlight, and does the backlight keep you up the same way the LEDs do?  Does anyone want to put in a special word for the version they purchased.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Should I get a kindle and which one?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 04:03:09 PM »
I have a Kindle Paperwhite, second generation I think. The special offers are not annoying at all and the backlight is great. I have it turned off most of the time and only use it when I am reading in the dark. It seems much better than a LED screen for reading.

I don't use it that much, though. I have so much I should be reading and many stuff I can't find in an ebook format. I do carry it around for travelling, that's for sure and I have been very happy with it.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »
If you just want to read get one of the paperwhite ones.  If you want a full on tablet, avoid the Kindle Fire.  It's so locked down.  Get and Android tablet instead.
(click to show/hide)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
If you just want to read get one of the paperwhite ones.  If you want a full on tablet, avoid the Kindle Fire.  It's so locked down.  Get and Android tablet instead.

I went the Android tablet route myself.  I can play games on it, and it's been very enjoyable reading graphic novels on it (related - I recently found out I can borrow digital graphics from my library. Woot!) and have made a stab at reading a couple real books as well.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »
I'm happy with my iPad.  Right now, I'm not really looking for anything with apps, so the Fire doesn't appeal to me at all.  I like the idea of the eInk, and how easy it is supposed to be on the eyes.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »
I bought a Kindle DX some years ago. Loved it. The e-ink is great. It really does feel like reading a printed book, except that you can change the font size, the leading, the margins. I loved it because it was easier to read than a printed book, and for travel I could have a thousand books (theoretically) for the weight of one book. Its biggest drawback is that hotels never have adequate reading light, so when I traveled it was less than ideal.

When I bought my iPad Mini I got the Kindle app for it. The iPad screen is not as comfortable on the eyes as the e-ink, but I can read it when there is not adequate light, and for travel it combined my "travel computer" with my "book," and where the Kindle DX requires a cell signal (or cable to a computer) to download books, the iPad can grab books off the internet anywhere I have a wi-fi connection.

For a long time I used the iPad Mini (and later the iPad Air) for tablet stuff (games, streaming video, etc.) while at home, and the Kindle DX for reading. But in the last 6 months or a year I've gotten out of the habit of using the Kindle DX. Now I read on the iPad Mini exclusively. Its screen is really very easy on the eyes, and it's easier to hold than the heavy Kindle DX.

Since you already have an iPad, I would say the only reason for buying a Kindle would be if you really want a smaller device for reading.

I have no experience with backlit Kindles.

I'm sure the Paperwhite is an excellent reader. Note that the "weeks" of battery time depends on how much you read. My DX lasts much longer than my tablet, but not nearly as long as claimed, since I read more than average. Turning off the wi-fi & 3G will extend the battery life. I presume that the backlight also drains the battery a lot faster. But I'm seldom without electricity, so that's not an issue.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 08:28:41 PM »
I'm still using an old Kindle 2, and I really love how much easier the e-ink is on my eyes.

The paper-white version is probably the one I would get now.  The backlight makes the contrast level much better.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 10:43:57 AM »
I'm joining the Paperwhite promotion choir. I've owned two of them, ordering the second one in a distressed rush after losing the first. I don't keep track of how long the battery lasts, but it's long enough not to be a bother. The backlight is pleasant on the eyes and very adjustable. I don't connect it to wifi and just copy books onto it using USB and a neat free program called Calibre, so I don't get any of the ads anymore. But as Rai wrote, they're not very jarring anyway. My mom has a Kobo reader that I used for a bit, and I didn't like it nearly as much. It felt chunkier, I don't know.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 11:44:33 AM »
Yeah, the Paperwhite is kind of awesome. I kind of wish they still made the old, old variety that didn't have much of a backlight, actually; those things lasted *forever* (and would be super-duper cheap to make now too, probably). My personal Kindle is the smaller Fire, which I don't really use all that much except for reading. Its one claim to fame above and beyond the Paperwhite is that it has a mode that filters the blue out from the screen and (supposedly) doesn't disrupt your sleep as badly.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 12:05:31 PM »
Yeah, the Paperwhite is kind of awesome. I kind of wish they still made the old, old variety that didn't have much of a backlight, actually; those things lasted *forever* (and would be super-duper cheap to make now too, probably). My personal Kindle is the smaller Fire, which I don't really use all that much except for reading. Its one claim to fame above and beyond the Paperwhite is that it has a mode that filters the blue out from the screen and (supposedly) doesn't disrupt your sleep as badly.

My iPad has the night mode to reduce the sleep disruption.  I read a long article about how that works, and I think there's actually some science behind it now.  I try to remember to use it in the evenings, though I don't tend to have a problem getting to sleep.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
I have no trouble falling asleep after reading on my Gen 1 iPad Mini (no "evening" mode). I do dim the screen somewhat since my bedside lamp is dimmer than my daytime house lights. On the iPad Air I have the "evening" mode and I've used it when I play a game of chess before bed, but I actually find it harder on the eyes. It's a lot like using a screen that's too dim, even if I compensate by making the screen brighter. So I end up not using the mode. I always read (and sometimes play a game of chess or other game) before bed. It's harder for me to sleep if I don't read for an hour beforehand, so, while all that stuff about not reading before bed might have some valid science behind it, I'll go out on a limb and say it's a lot more complicated than just that, and for some of us, reading (even on an iPad) helps with sleep.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 04:18:49 AM »
I have a Kindle Fire. I also have an 11 inch generic tablet but find the Kindle's size is more convenient.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 03:29:56 PM »
I went ahead and picked up the paperwhite.  Will let you know what I think about it when I get it on Friday.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 02:57:19 PM »
So, how do your like your new Paperwhite?

I have considered getting one more than once, but as noted above always decided against it because my iPad Mini works just fine as a reader with the Kindle app. The above discussion and recommendations finally got me to decide to get one after all. My experience so far:

In spite of having 300 dpi, the typeface seems less crisp to me than on my phone, which is also around 300 dpi. 319, I think. Maybe because of the display type. I find that it's really no easier on my eyes than reading my iPad, which allows for larger type with the same number of words per page. Too few words per page becomes awkward. Turning the pages also feels less natural to me. Tap or swipe, and the whole page fades and re-appears, whereas with the iPad, swiping actually moves the page to the side as the next page slides in.

On the positive side, the Paperwhite is half the weight of my iPad Mini, and being smaller is easier to hold. That alone makes it an improvement overall. And being able to read in sunlight will be nice when I go hiking. Sometimes, for a rest day, I like to hike a short distance and sit and read for a while. With the iPad I have to find shade, and it's still hard to read out of doors. We've been having overcast weather here, so I have not yet had an opportunity to test the bright-daylight reading, but plenty of people say it is easy.

I'd still say to anyone on a budget that if you have a tablet, the Paperwhite is probably not worth it unless you read out of doors a lot. But if money is no issue, it's a nice way to read books, and for me, the lightness of it makes it worth the cost.

I do fault Amazon for touting a six-week batter life (based on half an hour a day of reading). Who buys an e-book reader if they only read for half an hour a day? They should just say 21 hours. That's still better than tablets. They have a good product, they don't need to try to make it seem better than it is.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 07:28:48 PM »
I've had my Paperwhite for just under two months. The operation of it is a little less pleasing than the Kindle app, but that's a minor detail. What I like about it, and what's made it my main e-book reading device, is its small size and light weight. It's easier to hold than the iPad, and doesn't need to be as big as the iPad, since it's just for reading text.

About a week ago the battery started running down faster. Instead of lasting five days, it lasted two, with about the same amount of use. Then a few times, when I powered the screen on, it took something like a full minute to turn on. And last night the screen stopped responding entirely. The power button turns the screen light on and off, but the screen does not respond to touches or swipes, making the device as good as dead.

I called the customer service line and spoke to a woman with a heavy accent (sounded Asian) who wanted me to plug it into my computer and run something on the Terminal. I refused. I'm not going to start typing into the Terminal at the request of a phone service rep. So she transferred me to a tech who sounded like he is from Vermont. At least I could understand him. After I explained the issue he looked up my purchase and activation dates, and offered me a replacement Paperwhite, which is what I wanted. He emailed me a link to a return label. I dropped the Kindle off at UPS and Amazon will send me another.

In the meantime I'll be reading from the Kindle app on my iPad, which is fine.

I wonder if anyone else has had any problems with the Kindle Paperwhite.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck