Author Topic: Courses/seminars about books  (Read 684 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Courses/seminars about books
« on: November 18, 2016, 12:27:01 PM »
So this is a new thing for me.

I listened to "The Silmarillion Seminar", a 35-part series of recorded lecture/podcasts analyzing The Silmarillion. (seminar location: the Tolkien Professor podcast stream)

I'm now watching a 13-part YouTube course (that is also a podcast, the youtube part is just powerpoint of selected quotations on the screen) analyzing Dune. (course location:  Signum University YouTube channel, or Mythgard podcast stream)

(Both run by Corey Olsen, the "Tolkien Professor").

It's been really enjoyable.  Kind of taken over my life - for some reason for the last 10 days or so I've felt happiest retreating from the real world...
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Courses/seminars about books
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 12:33:08 PM »
I recently listened to the great course "Machiavelli in Context" which was effectively 20 lectures on "the Discourse on the First 10 books of Livy."

Effectively a course about a book about another book.  Really good, BTW, highly recommend both the course and the The Discourses.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:49:47 PM by Ah.hell »

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Courses/seminars about books
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 12:34:41 PM »
I'm kind of glad to have only discovered the Silmarillion one now; it was recorded in 2011-2012, but there was a 2 year gap (for various reasons) between recording the penultimate and the final episodes.  Was only a 1 second gap for me listening in 2016, as the tracks carried over in my player.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

personate-rain