Author Topic: Episode #593  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #593
« on: November 19, 2016, 11:49:38 AM »
Forgotten Superheroes of Science: Percy Lavon Julian; News Items: FTC and Homeopathy, Stoern Liquidates, STDs Rising, Finding Antibiotics in the Genome; What’s the Word: Isotropy; Your Questions and E-mails: P-hacking; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Episode #593
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 06:16:26 PM »
Does an Irish company going into liquidation involve going to the pub?  ;D

Re: Popoff's miracle water. Around 10 years ago, just to waste some of his money, I requested some of his freebies. I ended up with a pile of letters requesting "donations" that I would get back tenfold, a collection of "magical coins" and a sachet of magic water. However the sachet had split in the post so Cara, you may not get any hydration after all. :)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:25:03 PM by mddawson »
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline bachfiend

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 07:36:08 PM »
Wind turbines aren't all that noisy.  Last year I went on a cruise and at one port one of the day trips was to a nearby wind farm.  I stood next to one of the wind turbines, and the noise the spinning blades were making was actually less noticeable than that of the coach which transported us there - the driver kept the motor running to power the air conditioning.  And the coach was further away than the wind turbine.

It was actually very boring.  Most people wandered off after 5 minutes or so to go and look at the people parasailing off the nearby cliffs.

Most people objecting to wind farms claim that it's because of the so-called health effects of inaudible infrasound.  Reducing the audible noise a wind turbine makes won't stop people objecting to wind farms.

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 05:06:43 AM »
I've heard a wind turbine, I wouldn't want to have one close enough to my home that I could always hear it. I wouldn't want to always hear a vehicle motor running, either. But how big a share of wind turbines or planned wind turbines are near homes?

Solar should be the way to go for homes, in any case. Even if some regions aren't as suitable, with the costs going down, and being able to seamlessly integrate it into the structure, it should be much less objectionable, other than for lobbyists of private actors losing out to the competition.

Btw, were the first 5 minutes of this podcast an elaborate ad for a streaming service?

Offline smudge

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 06:02:36 AM »
Has anyone seen that episode of Fawlty Towers where Basil has German guests and is obsessing about ‘not mentioning the war’. Its hilarious. I feared the team were going to mention the ’T’ word on this weeks show when they veered close and started to talk of our (supposedly) ‘post truth’ world. I pictured Steve doing a Basil Fawlty and just about managing to avert the use of the ’T’ word. "Phew. That was a close one guys.'  :laugh:

Meanwhile, the rest of the world is discussing the most incredibly ginormous news story and its relevance to skepticism, science, critical thinking, and the future of civilisation. That big orange elephant in the room.
Sorry. But thats how I see it.

Great piece on Homeopathy. Some similar promising news here in the UK of late. Here's hoping we are nearing a significant moment regarding magic water and sugar pills.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 05:04:15 PM »
Solar should be the way to go for homes, in any case. Even if some regions aren't as suitable...

Peak energy demand in North Dakota is for heating during blizzards. No sun, but LOTS of wind. And in general there's a lot of wind. It's far enough north that the insolation is low. So although solar panels are still a good idea, wind is possibly better, and definitely belongs in the mix.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 05:45:03 PM »
And lots of open space, at least judging from maps and population data.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 06:02:50 PM »
I'm less optimistic about killing off homeopathy. It may fade, but it will keep popping up. It is too easy to fool some people.

Has anyone seen that episode of Fawlty Towers where Basil has German guests and is obsessing about ‘not mentioning the war’. Its hilarious. I feared the team were going to mention the ’T’ word on this weeks show when they veered close and started to talk of our (supposedly) ‘post truth’ world. I pictured Steve doing a Basil Fawlty and just about managing to avert the use of the ’T’ word. "Phew. That was a close one guys.'  :laugh:

They mentioned it once, but I think they got away with it  ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:37:45 PM by Tassie Dave »

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 08:04:44 PM »
I've always pronounced isotropy with the accent on the second syllable. They pronounced it with the accent on the third syllable, which really sounded odd to me.

Merriam Webster here agrees with me.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 08:24:27 PM »
I'm less optimistic about killing off homeopathy. It may fade, but it will keep popping up. It is too easy too fool some people.

For the die hard altmed fans probably nothing will change when you put a disclaimer on the bottle, but some people simply don't know what homeopathy means and think it's just another branch of medicine, and they actually would think twice about buying medicine that has such a disclaimer on it.
Mooohn!

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 11:35:54 PM »
A substantial number of men (and women) get cancer from HPV unassociated to the cervix; squamous cell carcinoma, in the throat.  I recently met a woman recently treated for it... we had a good chat.  She was very encouraged to meet someone that had survived it.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 12:14:50 AM »
Vox is doing a good job covering the recent homeopathy developments:
http://www.vox.com/2016/11/18/13676834/ftc-homeopathy-crackdown-regulation

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 12:20:21 AM »
Kiwi power providers are not keen on photovotaics added to the grid.  All that expensive infrastructure and NZ is 95% renewables anyway. 

A mate in Oz (NSW) is selling electrons at 5 cents kw/hr and buyint it back at night for 50.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »
... NZ is 95% renewables ...

That's great. I didn't know it. Details, please?
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline smudge

• Off to a Start
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 10:04:25 AM »
They mentioned it once, but I think they got away with it  ;)

:laugh:

personate-rain
personate-rain