Author Topic: Going Solar  (Read 5709 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Going Solar
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2019, 09:44:58 AM »
Speaking of Maui's dependence on oil generated electricity, I read this item today about recent approvals for grid scale solar PV and storage projects in Hawaii, including on Maui:
https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/six-low-priced-solar-plus-storage-projects-approved-for-oahu-maui-and-hawaii-islands

On Maui a 60MW solar PV farm + 240MWh of storage, with an energy cost of 8c/kWh.

So like so many places now, the costs of the technology has fallen so much that a rapid transition to renewables is increasingly feasible, and becoming a no-brainer in locations with an expensive dependence on fossil fuel generation.

And abundant sunlight.

This is great news. Hawaii is a progressive place. What I wonder is how the above compares to the total energy generation there, and how much it will lower overall electricity cost. If this is 10% of the island's power use it won't have a big effect on a homeowner's electric bill. If it's 90% it will make rooftop solar too expensive to bother with. But I expect to use a lot of electricity when summer hits in full force, so I'll enjoy my solar and I won't feel bad about the expense until grid power drops to 12¢/kWh or so.

The fact that they say they'll pass on the actual cost to the consumer without markup makes me think it will be a small part of the overall power generation and grid power will remain highly dependent on oil, and expensive. But it's a great start.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain