Author Topic: Vitamins and suplements  (Read 1497 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Vitamins and suplements
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 12:20:20 AM »
If your pee goes a bright, almost fluorescent yellow while taking multivitamins, you don't need to be taking those multivitamins.

ETA: And of course this post about pee gets to the top of the page.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Morticia Addams was elegaunt.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »
My understanding of the current consensus is, no.  Even if you live on a diet of Big Macs and Fries, you probably don't need supplementary vitamins.

This is true, but not by accident. McDonalds and other fast food outlets very carefully ensure their meals fulfill the dietary requirements for macro and micronutrients.

It’s not the lack of nutrition that makes that food unhealthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »
... More likely sick people are more likely to take vitamins than healthy people. 

Also, people who know they are eating a crappy diet take a multi-vitamin.It does them no good, so they have worse health outcomes than people who eat a healthy diet and don't take a pill.

Actually, the epidemiologic literature consistently shows a positive relation between multivitamin use and health.  The question is, does the multivitamin contribute to good health?.  If it doesn't, then it must positively correlate with something that does.  It could be that that people who know they are eating a crappy diet, and hence take a multivitamin, actually have less crappy diets than people who don't know that they are eating a crappy diet.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 04:41:33 PM »
... More likely sick people are more likely to take vitamins than healthy people. 

Also, people who know they are eating a crappy diet take a multi-vitamin.It does them no good, so they have worse health outcomes than people who eat a healthy diet and don't take a pill.

Actually, the epidemiologic literature consistently shows a positive relation between multivitamin use and health.  The question is, does the multivitamin contribute to good health?.  If it doesn't, then it must positively correlate with something that does.  It could be that that people who know they are eating a crappy diet, and hence take a multivitamin, actually have less crappy diets than people who don't know that they are eating a crappy diet.

For example, people eating a diet high in processed grains and sugar, but low in fat and animal products might think they're eating a healthy diet, but they're not.

That goes double for most vegan diets.

It could also mean that multivitamin/supplement use correlates with an overall concern for health.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

personate-rain
personate-rain