Author Topic: Religion.jpg  (Read 42928 times)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
Re: Religion.jpg
« Reply #435 on: June 15, 2019, 12:12:58 AM »
Any guesses as to what the other 15 questions are?

Here's 6 of them from the back cover.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #436 on: June 15, 2019, 12:50:20 AM »

SPOILER!

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #437 on: June 15, 2019, 06:37:11 AM »
I honestly don't understand why the religious answers, at by Christians, are really better than the answers from non believers. They also generally fall flat if you think about them for any length of time.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #438 on: June 15, 2019, 04:47:16 PM »
Presumably the point is to stop the children from doubting their parents' religion, rather than to specifically answer the questions.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #439 on: June 15, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »

SPOILER!

(click to show/hide)

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #440 on: June 15, 2019, 09:59:40 PM »

(click to show/hide)

I think “mysterious ways” is the....

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #441 on: June 15, 2019, 10:05:02 PM »
I can be a horrible person, lie and swindle my fellow human being (and believer), have affairs that deeply hurt people, but because of Jesus I am saved.   
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #442 on: June 15, 2019, 10:08:41 PM »
I can be a horrible person, lie and swindle my fellow human being (and believer), have affairs that deeply hurt people, but because of Jesus I am saved.

So there’s no consequence. It’s just like being an atheist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #443 on: June 15, 2019, 10:25:38 PM »

Note that that not all Christians really believe that - Some go with the "Works" passage for example while others try to amalgamate where you need both "Work and Faith." There is this group though that it is just "faith" and that facilitiates some pretty nasty people. 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #444 on: June 15, 2019, 10:50:06 PM »

The difference is that we have to deal with the real-life consequences of our actions. We can't just pretend we've been "forgiven" by an imaginary superfriend, and then brush them under the rug.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:06:56 AM by John Albert »

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #445 on: June 16, 2019, 03:43:52 PM »

Offline arthwollipot

• Over Nine Thousand!
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #446 on: June 16, 2019, 08:56:00 PM »

Note that that not all Christians really believe that - Some go with the "Works" passage for example while others try to amalgamate where you need both "Work and Faith." There is this group though that it is just "faith" and that facilitiates some pretty nasty people.

You're referring to Protestants. As in, all Christians who aren't Catholic or Orthodox. The faith and works thing was one of Martin Luther's big quarrels.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #447 on: June 17, 2019, 03:07:48 AM »

You're referring to Protestants. As in, all Christians who aren't Catholic or Orthodox. The faith and works thing was one of Martin Luther's big quarrels.

There are many Christian faiths that don't fall under Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox.

Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Moonies. To name a few.

I'd say all the loony ones, but then again I think they're all loony  ;)

Offline arthwollipot

• Over Nine Thousand!
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #448 on: June 17, 2019, 03:55:42 AM »

There are many Christian faiths that don't fall under Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox.

Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Moonies. To name a few.

I'd say all the loony ones, but then again I think they're all loony  ;)

Yeah. Except for them.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #449 on: June 17, 2019, 08:04:58 AM »
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain
personate-rain