Author Topic: Religion.jpg  (Read 41087 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Religion.jpg
« Reply #450 on: June 17, 2019, 08:19:18 AM »
I can be a horrible person, lie and swindle my fellow human being (and believer), have affairs that deeply hurt people, but because of Jesus I am saved.

So there’s no consequence. It’s just like being an atheist.

Note that that not all Christians really believe that - Some go with the "Works" passage for example while others try to amalgamate where you need both "Work and Faith." There is this group though that it is just "faith" and that facilitiates some pretty nasty people.

You're referring to Protestants. As in, all Christians who aren't Catholic or Orthodox. The faith and works thing was one of Martin Luther's big quarrels.

There are many Christian faiths that don't fall under Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox.

Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Moonies. To name a few.

I'd say all the loony ones, but then again I think they're all loony  ;)

Yeah. Except for them.

I think it’s much more complicated than you’re making it out to be. While Protestant denominations all derive in some way from Luther, there have been hundreds of years of theological development since then and different denominations have different interpretations of and emphasis with regards to faith and works. More than that, sola fide only refers to justification and not to sanctification.  Most Protestant sects teach, with greater or lesser emphasis, that one demonstrates and proves one’s faith through works.  Faith isn’t merely belief that Jesus saves, but actively following the promptings of the Holy Spirit toward righteous action.

I believe that I have also read that, whatever the teachings of their churches, two thirds of Protestants believe that one is saved by both faith and works.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #451 on: June 17, 2019, 09:35:42 AM »

Oh, bother.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #452 on: June 17, 2019, 09:43:19 AM »
Abraham got it wrong when he tried to kill Isaac, he failed the test. And then all of them are branched off from him (with none of them saying that you actually shouldn't attempt kill your child just because God tells you to, AFAIK).

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #453 on: June 17, 2019, 10:25:54 AM »
So what kind of twisted mind did Abraham have to imagine that his god wanted him to kill his son?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #454 on: June 17, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »
So what kind of twisted mind did Abraham have to imagine that his god wanted him to kill his son?

Regardless of whether someone imagines it out of nothing, or if they're actually talking to whatever God is supposed to be, it's still the wrong thing to do. If God was testing him, either Abraham failed or God failed.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #455 on: June 17, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »

There was a weird little film in 1991 called “The Rapture”, which touched upon some of these themes.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #456 on: June 17, 2019, 12:14:05 PM »

A religious one.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:05:30 PM by John Albert »

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #457 on: June 17, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »

A religious one.

FSTDT.
Mooohn!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #458 on: June 17, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »

Regardless of whether someone imagines it out of nothing, or if they're actually talking to whatever God is supposed to be, it's still the wrong thing to do. If God was testing him, either Abraham failed or God failed.
Can't blame a figment for one's own failings, now can we?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #459 on: June 17, 2019, 03:29:55 PM »

Perhaps God was testing Abraham and Abraham was testing God and both of them passed.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #460 on: June 17, 2019, 04:17:54 PM »

A religious one.

I know we all think Ray Comfort is a religious fuckwit, but even he's not that demented.  ???

“I noticed an excessive amount of anger towards me today from indignant atheists, who were accusing me of saying “If the Lord commanded me to kill my own children tonight, it would be done by morning.” I never said such a horrible thing, nor would I. Please join me in prayer for the person who wrote this fake post.”

- Ray Comfort

It is a fake meme.

https://atheistforum.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/that-ray-comfort-meme/

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #461 on: June 17, 2019, 04:31:36 PM »
Is he, dare I say it, better than his book?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #462 on: June 17, 2019, 04:37:07 PM »

Perhaps God was testing Abraham and Abraham was testing God and both of them passed.

Perhaps Abraham wasn't communicating with any kind of god and was hearing voices. From there you can imagine the voices were testing him or he was testing the voices or one or the other failed.

Either way, I hope Abraham got help.  (Oh, wait...)
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #463 on: June 17, 2019, 04:40:17 PM »

A religious one.

I know we all think Ray Comfort is a religious fuckwit, but even he's not that demented.  ???

“I noticed an excessive amount of anger towards me today from indignant atheists, who were accusing me of saying “If the Lord commanded me to kill my own children tonight, it would be done by morning.” I never said such a horrible thing, nor would I. Please join me in prayer for the person who wrote this fake post.”

- Ray Comfort

It is a fake meme.

I got poe'd yet again.
Mooohn!

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #464 on: June 18, 2019, 12:33:27 AM »

A religious one.

- Ray Comfort

It is a fake meme.

I got poe'd yet again.

Yeah, me too, obviously.

Thanks for the correction. I find it oddly reassuring that Ray is not quite that insane. (I was about to say "comforting," then thought better of it.)

Can't blame a figment for one's own failings, now can we?

The figment is the failing. Or at least a consequence of a larger cognitive failing.

Or else the entire thing is nothing but a parable invented to support a very, very bad moral.

personate-rain