Author Topic: The Nordic secular humanist manifesto of 2016  (Read 735 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
The Nordic secular humanist manifesto of 2016
« on: November 26, 2016, 07:56:15 AM »
The national secular humanist organizations in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, and the Faeroe Islands have recently released a common humanist manifesto. It is available in the languages of the mentioned countries, and also in English. Below is the English one:

Nordic Humanist Manifesto 2016
(1) Humanism is a secular life stance. Its starting point is that humans are part of nature, 
born free and equal in dignity and rights, equipped with reason and conscience. 

(2) Humanists hold that there is no pre‐determined meaning to existence. We are all free to 
find meaning and purpose in our own lives; through individual reflection, social interactions 
and the rich culture humanity has created in science, philosophy and the arts. 

(3) Humanism promotes rationality. Critical inquiry, informed reasoning and scientific 
methods are our best tools for acquiring reliable knowledge of the world.  

(4) Humanists encourage critical inquiry of all ideas and opinions, including our own. We 
should seek out the best arguments and strive to change our minds and adjust our 
convictions when shown to be wrong. Freedom of speech is essential to test opinions in 
open debate. 

(5) Humanists consider democracy, rule of law and human rights to be crucial, rationally 
justified values. We are part of a society and have a responsibility for our fellow humans and 
the environment, both locally and globally. We must ensure that our planet is habitable for 
future generations. 

(6) Humanism promotes equality for all. Humanists respect freedom of belief and the right 
of everyone to choose their own life stance. The state should be secular and not grant 
special privileges to any life stance.

What do you think? Do you agree with it? Why or why not? If you lived in any of the mentioned countries or territories (the Faeroe Islands are not an independent country), would you join any of those organizations?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: The Nordic secular humanist manifesto of 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 08:58:42 AM »
I agree with that. Very well stated. It saddens me that the unstated 7th point is that Humanists (most of them) believe it is perfectly fine to breed and slaughter for food, sentient, feeling, non-human creatures even in an industrial society where this is unnecessary for survival, and in numbers and quantities that are downright harmful to the health of the people eating them and to the environment.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 09:06:45 AM »
I agree with 1 and 2.  I think the others range from nice-sounding, but false, to laughably stupid.  The list basically declines as it goes.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »
Five and six seem a little wishy washy.  But on the whole, not bad.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
I'm not sure about all of point 5; I do not think values can be rationally justified, for instance.  Ultimately, they will all come down to first principles that have no rational justification.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Shibboleth

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 10:11:23 AM »
As far as manifestos go it looks fine.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 06:28:39 PM »
I'm not sure about all of point 5; I do not think values can be rationally justified, for instance.  Ultimately, they will all come down to first principles that have no rational justification.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but the text says that they are rationally defensible, not rationally derived.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 01:46:51 AM »
I agree with 1 and 2.  I think the others range from nice-sounding, but false, to laughably stupid.  The list basically declines as it goes.

Would you mind elaborating on which bits you find nice-sounding but false, and which you find laughably stupid, and why?

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 11:20:10 AM »
Seems fair enough.

But I could see how rationality alone might not get you to everywhere you want to go. E.g. what's the rationale behind having any future generations at all? It would be much easier to ensure no more suffering, with no more people.

Offline Flaminggg

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 07:07:36 PM »
The national secular humanist organizations in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, and the Faeroe Islands have recently released a common humanist manifesto. It is available in the languages of the mentioned countries, and also in English. Below is the English one:

Nordic Humanist Manifesto 2016
(1) Humanism is a secular life stance. Its starting point is that humans are part of nature,
born free and equal in dignity and rights, equipped with reason and conscience.

(2) Humanists hold that there is no pre‐determined meaning to existence. We are all free to
find meaning and purpose in our own lives; through individual reflection, social interactions
and the rich culture humanity has created in science, philosophy and the arts.

(3) Humanism promotes rationality. Critical inquiry, informed reasoning and scientific
methods are our best tools for acquiring reliable knowledge of the world. 

(4) Humanists encourage critical inquiry of all ideas and opinions, including our own. We
should seek out the best arguments and strive to change our minds and adjust our
convictions when shown to be wrong. Freedom of speech is essential to test opinions in
open debate.

(5) Humanists consider democracy, rule of law and human rights to be crucial, rationally
justified values. We are part of a society and have a responsibility for our fellow humans and
the environment, both locally and globally. We must ensure that our planet is habitable for
future generations.

(6) Humanism promotes equality for all. Humanists respect freedom of belief and the right
of everyone to choose their own life stance. The state should be secular and not grant
special privileges to any life stance.

What do you think? Do you agree with it? Why or why not? If you lived in any of the mentioned countries or territories (the Faeroe Islands are not an independent country), would you join any of those organizations?

1. thou shalt have no other gods before me (Written Law/Chastisement of Heart)
2. thou shalt not take the name of the lord thy God in Vain (Precepts of Righteousness,Parables/Chastisement of Person)
-----Below this Line, is Deleted by the process of the New Testament----- (Luke 10:27/Hebrews 10:25)
3. thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
4. honour thy father and thy mother
5. remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy
6. thou shalt not commit adultery
7. thou shalt not kill
8. thou shalt not steal
9. thou shalt not bare false witness against thy neighbor
10. thou shalt not covet

(Love the Written Word for the chastisement of your Heart, Love the Precepts of the Written Word (Parables) for the chastisement of your Person after the Faith) (Marriage to Jesus and Communion to Jesus, are the phases you are looking for, this is not a new law or a new gospel, this is a complete law and a complete gospel ... ... ... ... to cast off contentions that prevent the "Hearing of the Word", and to eliminate "Dead Work and Dead Flesh" ... ... ... ... we stopped observing 8 out of 10 commandments because they are obsolete, a more perfect observance of the only two commandments we are to observe, eliminates our need to observe the rest, but we are in no way a violator of the law.  What you have is Satan and Devil's Suffering and Pain gospels, to authenticate their false witnessing and placation of the gospel's program, nothing more.  It depends on who and what the level of force is that is directed at the elect/believers/peoples, if euthanasia or blindness is used based on the level of force::no respect of persons)

Humanism is Promoting a few cruelties, acknowledging some, and dismissing others of the non-pertinent commandments

1. Humanism Acknowledged = (Number 1 in our list) = No Assisted Suicide Program, for Certain degrees of people and violators of the law
2. Humanism Acknowledged = (Number 2 in our list) = No proper religious controls in society, and especially for non-christian religious groups and organizations
3. Humanism Acknowledged = (Number 3 in our list) = No proper mandatory distribution of income for the people, you are not meeting the basic or implied needs of the people, statutory income for all peoples regardless of "welfare status"
4. Humanism Acknowledged = (Number 4 in our list) = No proper controls on reproduction, mandatory sterilization of the reproductive organs (abortion and condoms are not good enough, what you have is human rights abuses as mitigation for culture shock or ethnicity)
5. Humanism Acknowledged = (Number 5 in our list) = No proper controls on private property, or the accumulation of wealth, that includes the accumulation of dept ... ... ... ... too much time is involved in dept management and too much wealth is spent on dept management, purposely and with intention.
6. Humanism Acknowledged = (Number 6 in our list) = No proper controls on corporations, businesses, or the private sector ... ... ... ... what you have is a secondary global economy of the stock market, as an independent economy of itself and for no purpose (fueling the encroachment and unprofitably, in not policing the rudiments of culture and economy)

Humanism is another version of Christianity that promotes, "Suffering and Pain", and not due processes of the Law
7. You are trained to kill profitability (nato and the global economy is the greatest offender, so don't feel bad)
8. You are trained to dehumanize, soliciting fornications (capitalism is the greatest offender, so don't feel bad)
9. You are trained to lie, and enforce your lies with consensus (the christian/catholic community is the greatest offender, so don't feel bad)
10. You are trained to promote the pride of life as the levy of the law for the grievances of sin (the ethnic communities are the greatest offenders, so don't feel bad)
You can and often do use lethal force against me, unprovoked, in a manhunt that always ends in a body count, and willful ignorance.  Since God has only illustrated one response in the challenges to my authority, "no legal right to live for certain peoples, according to the gospel's law, plus more".  It takes an incredible amount of energy to enforce a "Suffering and Pain" gospel.  So much that at the local level, you are using chemical and electrical treatments as well as routine and opportunistic acts of murder, which has resulted only in global terrorism and international cop killings and a migrant crisis by certain degrees of people and nothing more.  Ending in the lives of billions, and a personal vendetta campaign of false witnessing, inc**t/rape/mur*** or INRI.  Classic, but of no value.  What this means is, the promiscuity of global euthanasia of certain peoples by the discharges of nuclear weapons has become and is more appealing then ever, facing the 42nd month from Flight 370, when billions of lives are terminated, now just about 8 months from now. "Nordic Secular Humanist manifesto" = Nuclear Weapon Solicitation Malaysia Airlines Flight 370".  (As we continue to settle this score one, and for all time).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:48:49 PM by Flaminggg »