Author Topic: Episode #594  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #594
« on: November 26, 2016, 12:14:19 PM »
What’s the Word: Autopoiesis; News Items: Improving Photosynthesis, Turkey Domestication, EM Drive, Tweaking Mitochondria, Orca Evolving; Who’s That Noisy, Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #594
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 02:02:34 PM »
I cringed at Evan's pronunciation of Oaxaca and Cara's of minke. 

Interestingly, Maori didn't bring chickens (or pigs ftm) to Aotearoa.  They did, however, make every species of moa (there were nine species of dinornis) extinct in about a century after human arrival.  Pretty good for a bunch of guys armed with sticks and fire.  They also did in the Haast eagle, the largest eagle to have ever existed and another two dozen other species of birds.

"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline 7catsbarking

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 04:02:42 PM »
I think today's Whose That Noisy is a broadcast from a shortwave numbers station. These are used by governments of the world to contact intelligence agents. I have set of CDs called "The Conet Project" that is a compilation of these noises, that sometimes sound spooky. I believe the Wilco album, "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" derives its name from these broadcasts.

Offline elert

• Off to a Start
    • The Physics Hypertextbook
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
It's definitely a number station, but I could not find it in the Conet CD collection.

I think today's Whose That Noisy is a broadcast from a shortwave numbers station. These are used by governments of the world to contact intelligence agents. I have set of CDs called "The Conet Project" that is a compilation of these noises, that sometimes sound spooky. I believe the Wilco album, "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" derives its name from these broadcasts.

Offline elert

• Off to a Start
    • The Physics Hypertextbook
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 04:54:51 PM »
Belay that last comment. It's track 7 from the Conet CD "Gong Station/Chimes. East German MfS origin. No longer active." MfS is the East German Stasi (Ministerium für Staatssicherheit).

It's definitely a number station, but I could not find it in the Conet CD collection.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 11:32:49 AM »
I could hardly believe that they didn't know how to pronounce Oaxaca. "wa HOCK uh" more or less.

It should be obvious that orcas could potentially have a much greater distribution than bats, since the oceans cover nearly 3/4 of the Earth's surface.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 11:41:06 AM »
The Shakespeare quote is one of my favorites, but they left out the end of the quote. After the part quoted on the show, Edmund goes on to conclude: "Fut! I should have been that I am had the maidenliest star in the firmament twinkled on my bastardizing."

That is, astrology had nothing to do with Edmund's evil nature: It was because he was born out of wedlock.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »
Increasing the efficiency of our food production is nice, but what we need to get out of it is to reduce the total amount of land use, not merely not increase it. If we could grow hundreds of billions of additional trees, we'd have a shot at a reasonable climate for all those future consumers of food.

If humans are responsible for having released 2000 gigatons of CO2, and an unspecified type of tree can capture 48 lb. of CO2 per year, then we'd need an extra 1500 billion trees growing for about 61 years to capture it all. That's 50% more trees than currently exist, according to this estimate.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 01:40:13 PM »
We need to use soil for sequestration.

Dr Novella has yet again made the same mistake with "golden rice".  There is beta carotene in the rice, not vitamin A.  No human trials have shown that consumption of nothing but this rice will be of benefit.  Conversion of beta carotene to vitamin A requires fat and not everyone can make this conversion to retinol. 

He also missed out on the fact that the researchers gave this a project a twenty year horizon to production.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline Swoop

• Brand New
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 03:37:13 PM »
The Science or Fiction segment seems to have interpreted "Native American" in the narrow sense of native to the US. Would it change the answer if one used the wider sense of native to the Americas and included those of indigenous descent in Mexico, Central America, Peru, Bolivia, etc.?

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 03:53:11 PM »
The Science or Fiction segment seems to have interpreted "Native American" in the narrow sense of native to the US. Would it change the answer if one used the wider sense of native to the Americas and included those of indigenous descent in Mexico, Central America, Peru, Bolivia, etc.?

It would more than double the amount.  The rogues generally look at things in the narrow sense of ....the US

Scholars rely on archaeological data and written records from settlers from the Old World. Most scholars writing at the end of the 19th century estimated that the pre-Columbian population was as low as 10 million; by the end of the 20th century most scholars gravitated to a middle estimate of around 50 million, with some historians arguing for an estimate of 100 million or more

Offline palosun

• Off to a Start
  • Been skeptical since the Ginsu
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 05:28:49 PM »
Steven Novella with the obscure Jerky Boys reference calling Orca's "aaassholes." hahahaha If you are under 30 and are unfamiliar with the Jerky Boys...Youtube!

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 07:01:46 PM »
What I thought of first with the Native American population question was: Are they talking about pure-blood Native Americans, or people with some Native American ancestry? In remote parts of Mexico there are villages of pure-blood Maya people, but I'd be surprised if there are any Native Americans in North America without some non-native blood. They clarified it, however, by saying people who answered the census by stating Native American as their sole ancestry. Kind of wishy-washy if you ask me. Over the course of 500 years, the only way anybody is going to be pure-blood is if they live in a region so remote that there is effectively no communication with the outside. Such areas exist in Mexico. Not in North America. I picked that item as the fiction based on my own definitions, but it turned out I was right even on their definitions. I get SoF right far less than chance. Sort of like the Monte Hall problem, you'll get it right more often if you pick one of the choices I don't.

In this day and age, pretty much everybody in Europe and America is mixed race. I suppose that places like India and China have regions where foreigners have never been and races are unmixed. The eugenicists had it backwards: You can breed people, animals, and plants to be stronger and more attractive, but you do it by mixing races (hybridization) rather than by keeping pure strains.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 07:08:33 PM »
Page 171 Demon Haunted World.

"A dragon in my garage." ;)

Nice ad guys. ;D

Damo

Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline AndrewzC

• Off to a Start
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 06:15:46 AM »
Nice add but I wondered why Hogwarts has apparently moved to Australia. Seems to be the case based on the accents.

personate-rain