Author Topic: 2017 SGU Forums Deadpool: GAME ON!  (Read 7956 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
2017 SGU Forums Deadpool: GAME ON!
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:48:03 AM »
Welcome to the 2017 Celebrity Deadpool Game!

This year we will be playing two games in one, with the likelihood of two winners.  Both games will be played with the same celebrity roster:

Game 1: Body Count

The player with the highest number of dead celebrities on his roster at the end of the game wins.

Game 2: The Good Die Young

Each death will score a number of points equal to 85 less the age of the celebrity at death. Please note that celebrities over the age of 85 will score negative points. The player with the highest score at the end of the game wins.

You will note that the two games may engender conflicting strategies.  You will have to choose your roster wisely.

General Rules

1. The game will run 1 Jan 2017 through 31 Dec 2017.
2. Players may join the game at any time, but only deaths occurring at least 15 days after submission of their roster will be counted. Get your roster in by 15 December for the greatest chance of winning.
3. Players will submit, in the thread, a list of 20 celebrities whose deaths they anticipate in 2017.
3A. Rosters should include the date of birth of each celebrity.
4. All celebrities must be age 18+; there is no age limit, but see above about scoring.
5. Challenges:
   5a. Entries may be challenged, within 14 days of submission of each roster, as having insufficient celebrity status.  In the event of a challenge, a consensus of players will be sought. In the event a consensus cannot be found, The Latinist will be the final arbiter. If a roster member is deemed not a celebrity, the player will be allowed to choose a replacement, subject to a 14 day waiting period.
   5b. Entries may be challenged, within 14 days of submission of each roster, as suffering from acute life-threatening disease.  Please note: it is not the intent of this rule to bar entries who suffer from chronic conditions.  In the event of a challenge, a consensus of players will be sought. In the event a consensus cannot be found, The Latinist will be the final arbiter. If a roster member is deemed to suffer from acute life-threatening disease, the player will be allowed to choose a replacement, subject to a 14-day waiting period.
6. Dates of deaths will be determined by local timezone of the place of death.
7. Age of death will be determined by year, month, and day of birth and death only, without consideration of the time of either death or birth.
8. If any confusion or dispute arises during the course of the game, a consensus of players will be sought. In the event a consensus cannot be found, The Latinist will be the final arbiter.
9. In the event of a dispute directly affecting The Latinist as a player, PANTS!, as forum moderator, will be the final arbiter.

Entries and Statistics

I will be keeping track of all entries and statistics in a Google Sheets spreadsheet.  It will be viewable by anyone with the link, but editable only by me.  This sheet will be the official record and tally of the game.  If you find any errors or omissions, please notify me at once.

2017 SGU Forums Deadpool (Google Docs Link)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:58:13 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Re: 2017 SGU Forums Deadpool: Submit Your Rosters Now!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:10:07 AM »
I'm in.  Will edit this post with a list when i get a chance to think.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 08:59:34 PM »
Im in.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:12:01 AM »
I'll play.

I know you didn't ask for categories, but I took a cue from the other Death Pool game and chose 5 in each of 4 categories, just to make it easier for me.
I also didn't choose anyone I like. 'Being annoying' was the main criteria for getting chosen.  ;D

Entertainment (Very loose interpretation)
Snooki (29) (23 Nov 1987)
Kim Kardashian (36) (21 Oct 1980)
Charlie Sheen (51) (3 Sep 1965)
Tom Cruise (54) (3 Jul 1962)
Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) (70) (24 Apr 1946)

Politics
Kim Jong-un (32) (8 Jan 1984)
Bashar al-Assad (51) (11 Sep 1965)
Pauline Hanson (Australian Senator) (62) (27 May 1954)
Vladimir Putin (64) (7 Oct 1952)
Donald Trump (70) (14 Jun 1946)

Music
Justin Beiber (22) (1 Mar 1994)
Miley Cyrus (24) (23 Nov 1992)
Chris Brown (27) (5 May 1989)
Courtney Love (52) (9 Jul 1964)
Phil Spector (76) (26 Dec 1940)

Pseudoscience
Andrew Wakefield (60) (3 Sep 1956)
Deepak Chopra (69) (22 Oct 1947)
Uri Geller (70) (20 Dec 1946)
Peter Popoff (70) (2 Jul 1946)
Richard Hoagland (71) (25 Apr 1945)

Edited: To add Andrew Wakefield's birthday. He is a year older than his Wikipedia entry. Updated Geller's and Spector's ages to what they will be at start of 2017.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:40:27 PM by Tassie Dave »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:57 AM »
Thanks, Tassie Dave, for the very well-formatted list which brings up a very good point: your rosters should include date of birth.  I really don't have time to look up the birth dates of potentially hundreds of entries.  This has been added as rule 3A.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:22:47 AM »
What's the ruling on celebs with pre-existing conditions like Charlie Sheen?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:57:48 AM »

I'll look for a consensus on this one.  I myself would lean toward allowing it, especially since life expectancies of HIV+ people on antiretrovirals approach those of the general population.  But it valid to ask, for instance, whether someone with a known diagnosis of pancreatic cancer ought to be allowed.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
I applaud TL for introducing some new interesting elements into the game. 

At first I thought of going for the body-count trophy exclusively and not even attempting to compete in the die-young game... but I decided that was not in keeping with the intent.  So while it's possible that somebody scores an insurmountable point with a single young pick, I'm going for a bunch of early 80's hoping for no long-shots.

I also picked an equal number of male and female subjects, and attempted to have a diverse set of categories just to make it interesting.

I assume if one of these picks kicks before the new year I'll have a chance to substitute.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 03:05:24 PM »
At first I thought of going for the body-count trophy exclusively and not even attempting to compete in the die-young game... but I decided that was not in keeping with the intent.

As you probably guessed, my goal was to discourage extremes.  Always in a game like this there are conflicting goals of keeping the game active with lots of deaths and discouraging people from packing their rosters with centenarians.  I really don't mind how people want to play; if someone wants to go all-in on Body Count that's fine with me...but I wanted to make them pay a price for it.

I assume if one of these picks kicks before the new year I'll have a chance to substitute.

Yes, names submitted can be replaced due to premature death until January 1 or the end of the 14 day waiting period, whichever is later.  In other words, the death will either count for you or you will be allowed to submit replacement.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:07:42 PM by The Latinist »

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »

As you probably guessed, my goal was to discourage extremes.  Always in a game like this there are conflicting goals of keeping the game active with lots of deaths and discouraging people from packing their rosters with centenarians.  I really don't mind how people want to play; if someone wants to go all-in on Body Count that's fine with me...but I wanted to make them pay a price for it.

Yeah, that's what I tried to do with the average age budget.  But there were only eight points scored in three years... not a real gripping development.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 06:44:56 PM »

I'll look for a consensus on this one.  I myself would lean toward allowing it, especially since life expectancies of HIV+ people on antiretrovirals approach those of the general population.  But it valid to ask, for instance, whether someone with a known diagnosis of pancreatic cancer ought to be allowed.

I have no problem dropping him if anyone wants. I wasn't even thinking of his illness when I chose him. I have a ready replacement in mind. Just as annoying  ;)

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 09:42:59 PM »
Well HIV isn't a death sentence any more so I think it's ok to keep him. Just wanted to know the official ruling.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 10:22:37 PM »

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 12:02:22 AM »
I'll follow Tassie D's categories

Entertainment
Pauly Shore (48/49) (Feb 1, 1968)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (69/70) (Apr 14, 1947)
Oliver Platt (56/57) (Jan 12, 1960)
Theo James (31/32) (Dec 16, 1984)
Jane Curtin (69/70) (Sep 6, 1947)

Politics
Bill Clinton (70/71) (Aug 19, 1946)
Herman Cain (71/72) (Dec 13, 1945)
Ali (Ayatollah) Khamenei (77/78) (Jul 17, 1939)
Anthony Weiner (52/53) (Sep 4, 1964)
Barbara Boxer (76/77) (Nov 11, 1940)

Music
Ringo Starr (76/77) (Jul 7, 1940)
Iggy Azalea (26/27) (Jun 7, 1990)
Jay Z (47/48) (Dec 4, 1969)
James Hetfield (53/54) (Aug 3, 1963)
Charo (75/76) (Mar 13, 1941)

Science/Skepticism
Donald Johnson (76/77) (Jun 28, 1943)
Phil Mcgraw (66/67) (Sep 5, 1950)
Alex Jones (42/43) (Feb 11, 1974)
Richard Dawkins (75/76) (Mar 26, 1941)
Vani Hari (37/38) (Mar 22, 1979)
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »
I have a list of 30 that I'm having a hard time narrowing down. I've already become so attached to them!

A Note on Submissions: I don't mind people posting their submissions as an image, but please at least send me a text version of your roster by PM so that I can more easily integrate it into a spreadsheet.  I'm planning on posting a Google Docs version of the whole grid so anyone can reference it at any time.  If you made up your list in a spreadsheet, you can E-mail it to deadpool-at-latinist.net.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:22:48 AM by The Latinist »

personate-rain