Author Topic: How do you Podcatch?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: How do you Podcatch?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 05:29:58 PM »
The thing I particularly like about using a smartphone (or yes, an iPod Touch - I keep forgetting about those) is that it's all done automatically in the background with absolutely zero effort on my part. I don't have to manually download anything, I don't have to sync anything, I don't have to manually copy anything - it all just happens in the background and I can get on with doing the important things.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 05:42:15 PM »
I use RSS Radio on iOS, bought it six or so years ago.  Never had any issues with it.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 06:08:03 PM »
The thing I particularly like about Downcast is that I can prioritise certain podcasts so they always play as soon as they appear in the playlist. So when there's a new episode of SGU, for example, or Skeptics With A K, it's put right to the front of the list so it plays after the current one is finished.

Automagically.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »
Downcast in my iPhone here.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 07:55:31 PM »
The thing I particularly like about Downcast is that I can prioritise certain podcasts so they always play as soon as they appear in the playlist. So when there's a new episode of SGU, for example, or Skeptics With A K, it's put right to the front of the list so it plays after the current one is finished.

Automagically.

RSS Radio has similar functionality.  I can set it to queue at the top of the list, or after the one currently playing.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 09:38:07 PM »

Automagically.

RSS Radio has similar functionality.  I can set it to queue at the top of the list, or after the one currently playing.

I'd expect it to be a standard feature on most podcatching apps these days.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 07:36:50 AM »

Automagically.

Just me, but I like to manually choose which podcast to listen to. Usually I'll listen to the SGU as soon as it comes out, but sometimes I feel like listening to Oh, No, Ross & Carrie first, if both happen to come out at the same time. And as for all the other podcasts on my list, my mood determines which one I want to listen to first. And there are some that I only listen to the occasional episode, when the subject interests me.

I use iCatcher. As with the above, podcasts are automatically downloaded.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 02:27:43 AM »

Automagically.

Just me, but I like to manually choose which podcast to listen to. Usually I'll listen to the SGU as soon as it comes out, but sometimes I feel like listening to Oh, No, Ross & Carrie first, if both happen to come out at the same time. And as for all the other podcasts on my list, my mood determines which one I want to listen to first. And there are some that I only listen to the occasional episode, when the subject interests me.

I use iCatcher. As with the above, podcasts are automatically downloaded.

Yeah, I can do that too, if I want. I choose to let the playlist automatically determine what comes first. Generally I listen in order, earliest first. But I've designated a few podcasts as high priority - SGU, SwaK and The Adventure Zone, specifically. Otherwise I listen in chronological order

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 05:57:16 PM »
I have an old ass ipod, I wish it was new enough to get some of the better podcast playing apps. Things that have smart play and vocal boosters built in. That would be nice.

But for now, I just use the built in app, I cant download anything else.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 10:46:06 PM »
Most podcasts will let you download their program direct from their website.

Then it just a matter of adding it to your mp3 player the same as you would a song or any other audio.

Not as easy as a Podcatcher but it works. That's the way I and most of us did it before fancy iPods with apps and iTunes (and similar services) came along.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »
It just occurred to me last night that I could use my Amazon Fire for podcatching. while not as portable as my MP3 player, it might give me a new perspective on how to podcatch, and insentivize me to move to a more portable "smart" thing.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

personate-rain