Author Topic: Whats the deal with seventh day adventists?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline God Bomb

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Whats the deal with seventh day adventists?
« on: December 02, 2016, 03:13:01 AM »
Can someone summarize their religion in one or two paragraphs.  My attention span ran out like 30 seconds into the wikipedia article.

Thanks in advance
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Whats the deal with seventh day adventists?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:18:12 AM »
I don't think I can do that but just remember that most religions have certain elements of theology that are extremely important to them yet have no relationship to the real world.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 08:00:53 AM »
Can someone summarize their religion in one or two paragraphs.  My attention span ran out like 30 seconds into the wikipedia article.

Thanks in advance

Check out the "Millerites" which is what ultimately morphed into 7th Day Adventism. The "Miller" in Millerite was a doomsday prophet who (spoiler alert) got it wrong twice. His followers ultimately founded 7th Day Adventism.

They conform to most Protestant doctrine with a few quirks

1. The celebrate Saturday, not Sunday, as the Sabbath
2. They subscribe to the "unconscious state of the dead" theory. Basically that your soul doesn't ascend to Heaven or go to Hell when you die but rather it remains in an unconscious "sleeping" state until the final judgment.

3. They believe in an "investigative" last judgment:
THIS is where the Miller stuff comes into play and (aside from the Saturday thing) is the most distinguishing aspect of the faith. In order to deal with the fact that Miller predicted the last judgment would happen and nothing obvious happened they state that the last judgment DID in fact begin in 1844 but that it is an invisible, ongoing process.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 08:06:48 AM »
Irreligiosophy did an episode on them.

They are their usual irreverent selves.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:38:03 AM »
Similar to the Mormons in sociological contexts, this is a 19th century American religion morphing to maintain relevance in the 21st century. The last days theology was shared with the Latter Day Saints and other groups, and like the first-century Christians, when the last days don't come, you need another story.

Likewise in personal lifestyle. The Mormons have the "Word of Wisdom" to direct proper food and lifestyle choices, while the Adventists went full-bore vegetarian early. We have that to thank for the development of Kellogg's Corn Flakes.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 08:56:57 AM »
There was a period when I was trying to recruit members into our local peace group by attending churches to look for peace-minded people. I have no social skills and my attempt was a complete flop. But since the Seventh Day Adventists have church on Saturday, I was able to attend their church for a couple of months while still visiting a different church every Sunday.

The Adventists are very welcoming. They made quite a production of Saturday morning with a church service, a Bible study, and then a potluck. They are vegetarians, so it was the first time in a quarter of a century that I was able to accept a lunch invitation, and the food was really wonderful. And they are bat-shit crazy. The group I met did not exactly follow what Dan I said above. They believed that on Judgement Day (coming soon, but nobody can know when) all the good people would ascend to heaven and all the wicked people would be killed. There is no hell, you're just killed if you don't pass muster. Then there would be a period of one thousand years when Satan would roam the Earth, all by his lonesome, to contemplate his wickedness. At the end of the thousand years, all the dead would be resurrected, judged a second time, and then killed again.

They mentioned that there are other sects (or maybe other congregations of Adventists?) who believe in The Doctrine of the Second Chance, whereby at the second judgement, some of the wicked would repent and be saved and would ascend into heaven, but this group believed that this doctrine is blasphemy, and that at the second judgement nobody would repent and get into heaven.

Like I said, bat-shit crazy. But very friendly and fabulous vegetarian cooks, and if you stay for Bible study after the service you get invited to the potluck.

I knew a man who had been a CO in WWII and went to prison for it, and who told me that most of the other COs were Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists, so I had hopes of recruiting some of these folks into the peace movement, but their pacifism did not extend to agitating for peace. It was limited to refusing to participate in war. I don't think any of them would have joined our peace group even if I had had social skills.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »
I was expecting a monologue from Jerry Seinfeld...

Offline Flaminggg

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 08:43:10 PM »

Thanks in advance

Jesus said he was no longer going to use the church as the representative of the gospel when he rebuked them with the money changers.  However, Christianity has evolved its own reconciliation, that because Jesus was crucified, he made payment for all the sin of mankind, and there is no further need for a judgment.  The Book of Revelation is past tense, and completed because it is an account only of the crucifixion.  This the basis of Christian Apologetics, you can lump the "Seventh Day Adventists Church" in this category as well, along with the rest of Christianity.  They have simply fell on deaf ears, and the penalty is death.

1. MATTHEW 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come.
2. I JOHN 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

1. Jesus does not pay for the sin of all men, regardless of your walk of faith, furthermore, Jesus uses BABYLON as the payment for sin when God reveals "Jesus as the Lamb Slain/Temple Stones/UFOs" in the events of revelation (however the law can be satisfied by God only revealing this to the faithful, not before any people or any nation)
2. Collectively, God is the basis of the Gospel's Judgment about 1/3 ... the angels or "Son of Man" is the basis of the Gospel's Judgment about 1/3 ... finally, mankind as a whole body is the basis of the Gospel's Judgment about 1/3 (Jesus/Son of Man/Satan)

1. God casts a millstone into the sea in revelations to mark the 42 months before the 153 Day paralleling Noah's Flood (Flight 370)
2. God kills the "Two Witnesses" to complete 42 Months, which parallels the first resurrection in vietnam (nguyen van lem)

1. 70 Years from Roswell New Mexico, UFO Incident or One Generation
2. Three Resurrection for the Antichrist within this Period of Time, the Third Resurrection beginning the 153 Days

(Gabriel/Emmanuel/Zacharias = Jesus ... Three Resurrections of John = David ... Three Resurrections of Antichrist = Moses)

Roswell New Mexico, then First Resurrection, Nguyen Van Lem
UFO Guardian, then Second Resurrection, Falling Man 9/11/2001
Three Days of Darkness, then Third Resurrection, 153 Days of Star Wormwood

***The above if False, Mankind is not given any room to respond to God, you will simply die when the Three Days of Darkness begins (globally outside of a small geographic area, city of philadelphia/usa), even as you keep hurting me right into the present, right into this very moment, once God allows the Antichrist to die, billions will die instantaneously, you not capable of dictating the gospel's law, below is correct:

1. Roswell New Mexico 1947, then First Resurrection Completed, Nguyen Van Lem
2. UFO Guardian 1989, then Second Resurrection Completed, "Two Witnesses Killed"

1. Comet Elenin fulfilling the first set of 42 months, for the 7 years of revelation and the last week of Daniel's Prophecy
2. Flight 370 fulfilling the second set of 42 months, for the 7 years of revelation and the last week of Daniel's Prophecy

(Number One, Jesus withered the Fig Tree, he does not pay for the sin of all peoples and specifically genetic dan, that is not an argument, those people are just dead in their sin ... ... ... ... Number Two, Jesus was lifted up a high mountain by an evil spirit, your only choice right now to reveal the sign of divorce is to challenge God by the euthanasia of Genetic Dan, God gave you a head start by putting down about 500,000 back in 2004 in india, when they kept using lethal force against me, that is a good portion of life to begin with, then you must continue, you don't have a choice or a future, that is the only way you can challenge god, don't care what you keep doing to me, maybe I can use that to ease your pain by the loss of life, don't know, but you need to keep hurting me to see what happens, nightly walk tomorrow)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:00:49 PM by Flaminggg »

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 05:41:45 AM »
Well, that was comprehensive. Any trouble getting through that, God Bomb?
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 07:54:34 AM »

Jesus said ...

That was utterly incomprehensible. It might help if you wrote complete sentences. Was this supposed to be an exposition of what Seventh-Day Adventists believe, or was this your own theology? Because during the rather brief period when I interacted with one Adventist church back around 1990, there was no mention of much of this, and I find it hard to believe that something as recent as Roswell plays a part in their theology. Even less so 9/11, though my interaction with them was before that.

I am absolutely not an authority on the Seventh-Day Adventists, but the above, besides being incomprehensible, seems off.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 08:08:51 AM »

Jesus said ...

That was utterly incomprehensible. It might help if you wrote complete sentences. Was this supposed to be an exposition of what Seventh-Day Adventists believe, or was this your own theology? Because during the rather brief period when I interacted with one Adventist church back around 1990, there was no mention of much of this, and I find it hard to believe that something as recent as Roswell plays a part in their theology. Even less so 9/11, though my interaction with them was before that.

I am absolutely not an authority on the Seventh-Day Adventists, but the above, besides being incomprehensible, seems off.

Well, religion often is pretty incomprehensible. On one forum I am on, there is a poster considered an authority and I often go WTF after reading his posts.
Still, I pretty much agree with you here.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 08:16:27 AM »
I wouldn't take much notice of any of that.

Flaminggg likes his/her numerology and messages in the Bible. I doubt any of that was about the SDA

I had a bit of fun with him/her in this thread below, thinking it was a joke. But I gave up after I realised they were serious.
http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,46101.0.html
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:20:14 AM by Tassie Dave »

Offline Flaminggg

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 04:47:07 PM »

(Nguyen Van Lem 1968 = First Resurrection of Antichrist Completed)

Then March 21, 1844, came—and nothing happened. After a month, Miller confessed his error and acknowledged his disappointment. But one of his followers pointed to other verses (Hab. 2:3, Lev. 25:9) and explained there must be a "tarrying time" of seven months and ten days.

So October 22, 1844, became the new day of Christ's return, and people were rallied again with the slogan: "The Tenth Day of the Seventh Month." Miller was finally converted to the new date. "I see a glory in the seventh month," he said.   christianitytoday.com/history/issues/issue-61/american-adventism-great-disappointment.html 

Barley Harvest of the March Equinox to May 21 is about 70 Days, following the Gospel's Law
GENESIS 30:36 And he set three days' journey betwixt himself and Jacob: and Jacob fed the rest of Laban's flocks.
GENESIS 30:37 And Jacob took him rods of green poplar, and of the hazel and chesnut tree; and pilled white strakes in them, and made the white appear which [was] in the rods.
LUKE 10:1 After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.
LUKE 10:2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly [is] great, but the labourers [are] few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.

(For 35 days before, and 35 days after the Sun conjuncts it on July 4, the star Sirius is hidden by the Sun's glare. The ancient Egyptians refused to bury their dead during the 70 days Sirius was hidden from view, because it was believed Sirius was the doorway to the afterlife, and the doorway was thought to be closed during this yearly period.  crystalinks.com/floodingnile.html ... ... ... ... God commanded Moses not to cross the Jordan River, because he served as Pharaoh ... ... ... ... God modified the observance of his coming, when he no longer identified with any principalities outside of Isreal ... ... ... ... God only modified his observance, only slightly, when he rebuked Isreal of the Crucifixion, this ties Flight 370 on 3/8/2014 for the more correct position, versus the March Equinox (as the 42 month marker for the Events of Revelation)

Jesus Numbers a length of time from the relative March Equinox, and this ends up around May 21, 2011 as voiced by Harold Camping, following the Seventh Day Adventist Traditions of the Observance of "Jacob's Troubles", that parallels, "Jesus rebuke of the Churches, shortly before his Crucifixion".  (God has Obviously corrected the postion of March Equinox to May 21, with the First Resurrection of the Antichrist).

LEVITICUS 25:5 That which groweth of its own accord of thy harvest thou shalt not reap, neither gather the grapes of thy vine undressed: [for] it is a year of rest unto the land.
LEVITICUS 25:6 And the sabbath of the land shall be meat for you; for thee, and for thy servant, and for thy maid, and for thy hired servant, and for thy stranger that sojourneth with thee,
LEVITICUS 25:7 And for thy cattle, and for the beast that [are] in thy land, shall all the increase thereof be meat.
LEVITICUS 25:8 And thou shalt number seven sabbaths of years unto thee, seven times seven years; and the space of the seven sabbaths of years shall be unto thee forty and nine years.

Nguyen Van Lem 1968 + 49 Years = 2017
9/25/2010 to 3/8/2014 = 42 Months / Half of 7 Years (scramble, 10/22/1844 (Adventist Prediction Original) = 2010 to 2014, ending on 3/8)
3/8/2014 to 8/19/2017 = 42 Months / Half of 7 Years

God Originally Responded with Jesus Christ for 70 Days (Barley Harvest of March Equinox to May 21), paralleling the Annual Rising of the Nile River for a similar period of time ... ... ... ... God is not doing that right now, because mankind is convicted of death for the First Resurrection of the Antichrist, Let me Restate this Argument (March or May 21 for 70 Days, then 153 Days to October = Impossible ... ... ... ... See Below)

LUKE 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed ) the son of Joseph, which was [the son] of Heli,
REVELATION 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
REVELATION 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, [was there] the tree of life, which bare twelve [manner of] fruits, [and] yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree [were] for the healing of the nations.

(You are Convicted of Murder for the First Resurrection of the Antichrist, If god allows you to kill again, rather than euthanize those races, like 9/11/2001 or New Orleans Floods, then billions die, mankind does not have a legal right to live ... ... ... ... the murder/suicide, the energy from your sin of INRI (in*st/rape/murder), has created and fueled global terrorism, cop killings, and much more, and this is only the beginning because the Antichrist is only a small expression of Joseph the Blessings, the Sign of Divorce, is much more)

February 1, 1968 is February 1, 2016 to the end of the 42nd Month of Flight 370 ... ... ... ... which represents the Month where God reveals the Lamb Slain to rebuke the Churches, this is not the New Testament.  God gave the New Testament 70 days to see the Lamb Slain/Sign of Divorce, but you only have about a month, to begin our expedition offworld, or simply die with global euthanasia (You killed the Lamb, which is the First Resurrection of the Antichrist, so God modified the law following what the gospel teaches, you have the possibility of gaining 42 more months of time) ... ... ... ... Isaiah 9:1-6, God calls Moses the Prince of Peace or "Ensign of Nations" (the assyrian of micah 5), according to Isaiah 5:26-27, where it states that you are not to kill the Prince of Peace.  You have violated the law, so you do not have the same legal right to the period of observance for t he Lamb Slain or "Sign of Divorce", you do not have a legal right to 70 Days.  You may not have a legal right at all, then you will simply die.  However, following the Apostle Paul's Expeditions to Mars and OffWorld, you will do a similar activity with me, when God alerts you, however he chooses within this time, or you will die globally, and immediately with no hope and no mercy, and no possibility to solicit God's mercy by the euthanasia of Genetic Dan and "Dead Work and Dead Flesh".

God has not given mankind an "Antichrist", which, is nothing more than the Representative of Joseph (Joseph's 144,000), that appears in the accounting of the tribes when God brings BABYLON which is the Payment for Sin he uses in the name of Jesus, and that is revealed when God sets Jesus as the Head of Joseph's 144,000 ... then Jesus is called the Lamb Slain, and then God may or may not reveal the Sign of Divorce to some degree, before the 153 Days of Revelation, which marks the end of live for all nations on earth with no sign of divorce, and for all peoples with no mercy under the gospel's law, namely genetic dan's four genetic lines.   This is what makes Flight 370, as the Millstone God casts into the Sea to mark 42 months, significant, and a serious of prior conclusions more so conjecture then not.  SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST ? ? ? GOD SHAKES THE FIG TREE THAT JESUS WITHERED 42 MONTHS BEFORE IT IS ALLOWED TO DIE, IF THAT IS NECESSARY, BUT YOU MAY HAVE 42 MORE MONTHS OF TIME, WHEN YOU FOLLOW THE LAW OF THE ANTICHRIST. Love and Blessings. (to avenge yourselves of god's condemnation, at the otherwise end of the 7th Year, or to begin to avenge yourselves, so you may have more mercies, more time).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:34:34 PM by Flaminggg »

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 06:04:08 PM »
Is that supposed to mean something?
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline God Bomb

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 09:44:39 PM »
what is this, i don't even...
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

personate-rain