Author Topic: What should I read?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: What should I read?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
The Dirty Dust by Máirtín Ó Cadhain (there is another translation called Graveyard Clay), probably one of the least-read and least-known masterpieces of 20th century literature.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
Re: What should I read?
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »
Cancer Ward by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
All Quiet on the Western Front and Spark of Life by Erich Maria Remarque
The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio and, subsequently, Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales

"One Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Solzhenitsyn is so, so, so, so riveting.

It's astounding to me that the Soviets even allowed the publication of the book.  It's such a damning picture of the Stalin-era Soviet gulag system.  I can't imagine something like that coming out of something like the North Korean regime....

I had to go with Cancer Ward, because the thing with the monkey gets me every time, but yeah, he's produced several fantastic works. I think he got away with Ivan Denisovich because Khrushchev had denounced Stalin in '56. As far as I know, it and later works did contribute to Solzhenitsyn's deportation during the seventies. He pushed his leeway a little too far.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

personate-rain