Author Topic: Periodically deleting Facebook account?  (Read 2327 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Periodically deleting Facebook account?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 07:12:35 PM »
There was a podcast (I forget which one) in which a reporter, with his friend's permission, got into the guy's bank account using only information available on the guy's Facebook page.

Question: Did the "Friend" use only information he had made publicly visible or was his friend logged into his own Facebook account and therefore could see what this guy shared with his Facebook friends.

There's a BIG difference between someone finding stuff you've "shared" on Facebook if they aren't logged in or aren't your friend (and hence can only see what you've chosen to share publicly) vs. someone who is logged in and is your Friend.

My understanding of the story was that he used only publicly available information. But I cannot vouch for the reporter's sophistication or the guy's discretion in his friends list or his privacy settings. Even so, a lot of Facebook users "friend" everyone they possibly can, as apparently having a large "friend" list is a status thing. In my very brief foray into Facebook I friended an actual friend, and immediately got friend requests from a dozen people I'd never heard of. Apparently, my friend's "friends" saw that she had a new "friend" and invited me to become their "friend" as well. My (actual) friend spent at least a hour at the end of every day writing up every detail of her day on Facebook for all to read. Fortunately I had put no information on my account other than my name and city. After getting all those creepy friend requests I deactivated my account.

Now I have a fake account (just a fake name and a web-based email I use for nothing else and open 3 or 4 times a year to delete the daily email spam from Facebook) so that I can access the pages of the occasional business I'm interested in that doesn't have their own web page. E.g., the local vegetable farm where I bought fresh veggies before they closed up, used to post what veggies were available each day on their Facebook page.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline HanEyeAm

• User Not Found
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 10:26:01 AM »
SSN is the only thing missing from FB. Even if the perp can't see your birthday, s/he can figure it out by HS graduation year and any happy birthday wishes on posts. Could get the info from friends mutual posts even if not directly from yours. And address is easy enough from the web, if your FB page gives an idea where you are by saying so or gathered from friends or group memberships.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline c60Unit

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 10:27:58 AM »
I deleted my account some years back.  Before doing so, I had FB download a backup to me.  Got a nice zip file which when uncompressed, provides a decent offline representation of my account, with posts and pictures.  I don't remember much in the way of details, but if this feature is still available, it would seem worth doing once in a while, even if you're not intending on leaving.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 10:41:12 AM »
Now I have a fake account (just a fake name and a web-based email I use for nothing else and open 3 or 4 times a year to delete the daily email spam from Facebook) so that I can access the pages of the occasional business I'm interested in that doesn't have their own web page. E.g., the local vegetable farm where I bought fresh veggies before they closed up, used to post what veggies were available each day on their Facebook page.

I can understand not wanting to make the effort to learn how Facebook works.  That is perfectly fine.  But you should really be aware that you're using it wrong, and you could, with a bit of effort (that could very well turn out not to be worth it for you, but it's really not that hard), customize Facebook to work in only positive ways for you. 

For instance, I've been on Facebook for 9 years, and have received fewer than 5 emails ever from them in the whole time.  Because you can adjust your settings.  I also don't get mobile notifications on my phone for any reason.

I am friends with exactly zero people that I don't know, at least passingly.  It takes a second to say "ignore" to a friend request from a person you don't know, and it goes away.

And I liberally use the "Hide All Posts From" option, which is actually kind of sophisticated - if my buddy's Chive posts are super annoying (which they were), I have the ability to instantly dig down a level and "Hide All Posts From" the Chive rather than from my otherwise pleasant friend.  There are pretty much no clickbait sources unHidden to my feed these days - I barely even remember that Buzzfeed is a thing.

What it amounts to, is if you put in zero effort, it's going to look like an unusable mess.  However, hundreds of millions of people find it usable (and some of them aren't the brightest bulbs...).  Therefore, it must be fairly straightforward to turn it into something usable.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 11:04:44 AM »
I deleted my account some years back.  Before doing so, I had FB download a backup to me.  Got a nice zip file which when uncompressed, provides a decent offline representation of my account, with posts and pictures.  I don't remember much in the way of details, but if this feature is still available, it would seem worth doing once in a while, even if you're not intending on leaving.

I keep meaning to do this. You can do something similar with your Google account, get a backup.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 01:01:30 PM »

I can understand not wanting to make the effort to learn how Facebook works.  That is perfectly fine.  But you should really be aware that you're using it wrong, and you could, with a bit of effort (that could very well turn out not to be worth it for you, but it's really not that hard), customize Facebook to work in only positive ways for you. 

For instance, I've been on Facebook for 9 years, and have received fewer than 5 emails ever from them in the whole time.  Because you can adjust your settings.  I also don't get mobile notifications on my phone for any reason.

I am friends with exactly zero people that I don't know, at least passingly.  It takes a second to say "ignore" to a friend request from a person you don't know, and it goes away.

And I liberally use the "Hide All Posts From" option, which is actually kind of sophisticated - if my buddy's Chive posts are super annoying (which they were), I have the ability to instantly dig down a level and "Hide All Posts From" the Chive rather than from my otherwise pleasant friend.  There are pretty much no clickbait sources unHidden to my feed these days - I barely even remember that Buzzfeed is a thing.

What it amounts to, is if you put in zero effort, it's going to look like an unusable mess.  However, hundreds of millions of people find it usable (and some of them aren't the brightest bulbs...).  Therefore, it must be fairly straightforward to turn it into something usable.

I just have no use for it. I am no longer in touch with the friend I mentioned above. None of my few remaining family members use it. None of my friends use it. The idea of posting my activities on a generic site holds no interest for me. (I post stuff here because we have active discussions here on subjects that do interest me related to science and skepticism.) When I've looked at a Facebook site, I can make no sense of it. FWIW, when someone posts a screenshot of a twitter feed, that makes no sense to me either. I have a Twitter account (also fake name) that I never look at. I opened the account to see if I'd find it interesting, and I don't. I guess I'm not a very sociable person. SGU Forum is the only chat board or social media site I use. Beyond that, I'd rather read a book. Email and telephone are sufficient for keeping in touch with friends and family. I have a Dropbox page I post my travel pictures to, and I give that link to all my friends and family. They can see the pictures if they want or ignore them. And while I don't worry too much about my privacy, I see no reason to give Facebook information about me so they can sell it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Enkidu Shamesh

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 04:12:04 PM »
SSN is the only thing missing from FB. Even if the perp can't see your birthday, s/he can figure it out by HS graduation year and any happy birthday wishes on posts. Could get the info from friends mutual posts even if not directly from yours. And address is easy enough from the web, if your FB page gives an idea where you are by saying so or gathered from friends or group memberships.

http://bbbconsumereducation.com/facebook-and-your-social-security-number/

Think you’re safe posting basic information about yourself on Facebook, MySpace, or other social networking sites?  Guess again.

8.5% of the social security numbers of people born since 1989 can be successfully guessed by computer programs using information from your social networking sites and other public sites.

What many people do not know is that social security numbers are not random. The first three digits are part of the zip code where you received your social security number. So, listing your hometown on Facebook and other sites is a generous tip to identity thieves.

The middle two digits are determined by where and when you applied for your social security number.

The last four digits are supposed to be random but tend to be in sequential order. So, if you give your birth date online, you have given the con artists another tip.

Offline HanEyeAm

• User Not Found
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 08:14:31 AM »

http://bbbconsumereducation.com/facebook-and-your-social-security-number/

Think you’re safe posting basic information about yourself on Facebook, MySpace, or other social networking sites?  Guess again.

8.5% of the social security numbers of people born since 1989 can be successfully guessed by computer programs using information from your social networking sites and other public sites.

What many people do not know is that social security numbers are not random. The first three digits are part of the zip code where you received your social security number. So, listing your hometown on Facebook and other sites is a generous tip to identity thieves.

The middle two digits are determined by where and when you applied for your social security number.

The last four digits are supposed to be random but tend to be in sequential order. So, if you give your birth date online, you have given the con artists another tip.
Interesting!

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »
It's a little more complicated than that:

https://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/geocard.html

Offline Enkidu Shamesh

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 12:10:27 PM »
It's a little more complicated than that:

https://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/geocard.html

to be fair, it's always more complicated than a forum post :/

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 08:28:07 PM »
Ah, I can understand that.  I thought maybe this was a more general recommendation.

We have an entire team in our social media group who's job is to show you how to completely lock down and remove access to anyone for twitter and facebook and about 54 other social media sites. 
#non-belief denialist

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Banned
  • Well Established
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 09:20:23 AM »

Claims that CNN was in the pocket of the Clinton campaign made it seem normal for the head of Breitbart to head the Trump team, and for the head of Fox to become an advisor.

Donna Brazile, a paid CNN contributor, has admitted to leaking debate questions to Clinton.  But to be fair, this is not the same as the network itself leaking questions.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »
Why have you revived a five-month-old thread to comment on a passing statement of no real relevance to the thread topic?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »

Claims that CNN was in the pocket of the Clinton campaign made it seem normal for the head of Breitbart to head the Trump team, and for the head of Fox to become an advisor.

Donna Brazile, a paid CNN contributor, has admitted to leaking debate questions to Clinton.  But to be fair, this is not the same as the network itself leaking questions.

To any candidate who had prepared, there were no "surprise" questions in the debates. Only one candidate famously did not prepare. The only surprises were on the questions NOT asked (some very important ones, e.g., the environment, science).
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline ScepticalBadger

• Off to a Start
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2017, 06:23:01 PM »
the feds don't give a shit about your facebook page unless you are a terrorist.  They may hoover up some associated metadata, but what does that matter,  Facebook and Google are already selling it to anyone who will buy it and they will act on the information.  Worry about the corporations abusing your data for profit, not the people who are trying to protect your country and the people living in it.

personate-rain