Author Topic: The Joe Rogan Shitshow  (Read 1666 times)

Offline CKava

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • God Knows What
Re: The Joe Rogan Shitshow
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 02:25:45 AM »
Sure, I agree with you both. Smart people can also be opinionated and ill informed. I'm not saying its a mutually exclusive thing. I know lots of 'experts' who talk absolute nonsense but I also know 'experts' who have internalised the mantra that the more you know, the more you realise you don't know. This doesn't mean people should never opine on things they aren't expert in but rather that when doing so it is helpful to acknowledge your limitations and be willing to revise positions.

On that basis, Rogan definitely belongs to the former camp and hence I don't see much evidence that he is a particularly thoughtful or 'bright' guy. He talks about lots of stuff, hosts interesting guests, and knows about combat sports/drugs/comedy but that's about all I can say. A lot of his supporters say he is a 'smart'/'bright' guy but I'm never sure what the basis for that is supposed to be minus the points above.

I don't hate his show though, just think the parts where he indulges in bullshit theorising or endorsing conspiracies deserve criticism.
If the above nonsense wasn't enough more is available here
http://godknowswhat.wordpress.com/

Offline Vicarious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 09:22:27 AM »
I've just recently started listening to his podcast (last year or so). I couldn't stand him before, but I think '13-14 he had Neil Tyson on and they spoke about the moon for two hours. Really not worth listening to, but it changed him for the better. He befriended michael shirmer, and started a skeptical journey that has been fascinating to watch. Now he's at the point of ostracizing some of his fight companions, so he yaps along because they're  friends. He still holds a lot of unscientific opinions, but shows great flexibility as he holds no absolute dogma or ideology. I think that's why he appeals to so many, he can speak with the left and the right and actually identify with them morally, which is quite rare.
Also picks interesting guests, is a superb interviewer and overall a bright guy to achieve the level of success he has.

Offline richm78

• Off to a Start
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »
There's a reason his podcast has a lot of crossover with the alt-right.

What crossover are you talking about?  The only thing he talks about regularly that has anything to do with the right is being pro gun ownership and hunting.  He is not a conservative.  I would guess he is a pragmatic libertarian.

He uses cryotherapy himself and also uses anecdotal evidence from his MMA friends who seem to find it beneficial for their training recovery.  I would like to see more testing done.  From my own experience, taking a cold shower after a long run leaves me feeling less sore than a hot shower after a run.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 05:31:29 PM »
There is a world of difference between a cold shower and cryotherapy or even dunking in an ice bath.
If someone wants to do it then great! But Rogans claims go beyond the current evidence and not only that, he pushes back aggressively when someone points out the actual current evidence.

Offline Vicarious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »
Sure, I agree with you both. Smart people can also be opinionated and ill informed. I'm not saying its a mutually exclusive thing. I know lots of 'experts' who talk absolute nonsense but I also know 'experts' who have internalised the mantra that the more you know, the more you realise you don't know. This doesn't mean people should never opine on things they aren't expert in but rather that when doing so it is helpful to acknowledge your limitations and be willing to revise positions.

On that basis, Rogan definitely belongs to the former camp and hence I don't see much evidence that he is a particularly thoughtful or 'bright' guy. He talks about lots of stuff, hosts interesting guests, and knows about combat sports/drugs/comedy but that's about all I can say. A lot of his supporters say he is a 'smart'/'bright' guy but I'm never sure what the basis for that is supposed to be minus the points above.

I don't hate his show though, just think the parts where he indulges in bullshit theorising or endorsing conspiracies deserve criticism.

As you said yourself, you can be smart/brilliant and not scientifically sound. He must be smart, quick and a knowledgable guy to be able to do what he does. He has a plethora of topics, anectdotes, relevant thoughts, connections/angles available to allmost any subject and he covers a wide variety. The guy interviews people and keeps interesting conversation going for 3-4 hours at the time with allmost no down time, mostly covering new ground in each podcast. I doubt if many people in the world could go unscripted for as long as he does and keep it interesting.
The "fight companion" podcasts are a different beast though. Mostly guy-banter, joking around and just having fun. Most people itt should avoid them like the plague, but they are definitly free of toxic-femininity, so maybe thats where the alt-right crossover happens.

Offline CKava

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • God Knows What
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2017, 08:43:55 PM »
As you said yourself, you can be smart/brilliant and not scientifically sound. He must be smart, quick and a knowledgable guy to be able to do what he does. He has a plethora of topics, anectdotes, relevant thoughts, connections/angles available to allmost any subject and he covers a wide variety. The guy interviews people and keeps interesting conversation going for 3-4 hours at the time with allmost no down time, mostly covering new ground in each podcast. I doubt if many people in the world could go unscripted for as long as he does and keep it interesting.
The "fight companion" podcasts are a different beast though. Mostly guy-banter, joking around and just having fun. Most people itt should avoid them like the plague, but they are definitly free of toxic-femininity, so maybe thats where the alt-right crossover happens.

I get that you are a fan and you are entitled to your opinion but I don't put as much stock as you do in ability to host long podcasts and having a variety of opinions and anecdotes. Rogan is definitely good at what he does and he is knowledgeable about combat sports but outside of that he's very hit or miss. It's not Rogan's lack of 'toxic-femininity' that I find unappealing it's his general lack of critical thinking combined with his tendency to promote or pander to conspiracy theory bullshit.
If the above nonsense wasn't enough more is available here
http://godknowswhat.wordpress.com/

personate-rain