Author Topic: Why is the such an AMD hate in some circles?  (Read 1301 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Why is the such an AMD hate in some circles?
« on: December 15, 2016, 06:13:31 AM »
On anther board I am on, there was a recent discussion of the development of a new AMD processor.

A poster chimed in that tasks never use the potential of modern processors and that one can run two games at the same time on the same processor. The argument is that the games use more of video card and other components.

I responded that there is one task that uses most of your processor resources. . . .That is video rendering. I said that I am running an FX-8350 and that if I let my cooling fan get dusty and it is warm in my room, I can have issues with the processor overheating. This basically happens if I have been doing it for hours and I found a simple solution is to open the side of the case.

That same poster however responded how AMD processors are trash, shitty heat manage, shitty power regulation, etc.  I decided to type into Google " I7 overheat video" and the same basic issue is described by an i7 owner. As such, it does not appear to be an AMD issue.

The thing is that the FX-8350 gives mid level i7 performance which a fair amount cheaper. I also feel that supporting AMD means that there is competition out there and it keeps Intel prices lower than they would otherwise be. The FX-8350 is relatively popular as well. It is the fifth most popularly benchmarked processor on cpubenchmarks.net. As well, when you look at it on the performance charts, the Intel processors with similar performance are considerably more expensive ($350 vs $150).

I don't see the Intel hate from AMD users but from a certain segment of Intel uses, I see basically a hate boner from the other side. Is it just "tribe?" AMD is the little guy, so it is not hating the establishment either. Is there something that can be learned from this as well? 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Why is the such an AMD hate in some circles?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:24:27 AM »
lol hate boner. It's true AMD gets it a lot. I think a mix of tribalism, marketing and trying to justify spending the extra money on intel. AMD has come pretty close to getting wiped out and had a pretty remarkable come back.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »
It seems like every tech company has its fan boys and its haters.  If you hang out in Apple forums or the comments on any article about an Apple product for even a few minutes you will very quickly see people making posts both for and against Apple products with irrational fervor.  The fact is that there are pros and cons to any company's products, and usually which is right for any given person is the result of a combination of a variety of factors; yet there are some who seem to take great delight in declaring anyone who doesn't reach the same conclusions as them about the best balance of these factors a fool.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline TheIrreverend

• A Nonsensical Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • On Her Majesty's Prosecution Service
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 10:11:33 AM »
I think it's because teethering used to work for them.
"I'm this generation's Disney" - Kanye West, philosopher

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:15:53 AM »
Adobe applications use the video card for rendering video. What do you use to edit with? . I used to be pro athlon until intel chips surpassed them with speed and came down in price. There is no hate here.  If amd wants to come out with a faster processor that would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »
AMD processors used to melt through the boards when they overheated too much. Intels had a heat sensor and just shut down or froze the CPU if it reached a certain temperature.

I'm sure AMD fixed this long ago, but I still never bought one.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 12:57:20 PM »
ARM is the future anyways...
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 01:18:52 PM »

You think it'll replace x86 for personal computers?  I have my doubts, though I'm certain that Apple wants to make ARM-based MacBooks.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »
Adobe applications use the video card for rendering video. What do you use to edit with? . I used to be pro athlon until intel chips surpassed them with speed and came down in price. There is no hate here.  If amd wants to come out with a faster processor that would be great.

Used the wrong term, the better term would be converting video not rendering. In the original post in the other discussion, I used the term converting so I only used it here.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »

You think it'll replace x86 for personal computers?  I have my doubts, though I'm certain that Apple wants to make ARM-based MacBooks.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/09/30/macos-sierra-code-suggests-apple-could-replace-intel-in-macs-with-custom-arm-chips/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/7/13866936/microsoft-windows-10-arm-desktop-apps-support-qualcomm

So Apple, Microsoft, Google (both Android and ChromeOS), and Linux will all be running stuff on ARM, with Apple and Microsoft actively moving in that direction.  Those chips are more power efficient (really who needs complex instruction set these days?), less expensive from an IP perspective to manufacture, and therefore also cheaper for end devices.  They're in your phones, tablets, taking over with laptops, and will eat Intel's lunch in the next decade.  AMD isn't stupid enough to be battling for a dying market share.  Getting in with ATI and deciding to focus more in integrated systems and take it to nVidia was a a decent diversification strategy.

I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 01:40:24 PM »
It seems like every tech company has its fan boys and its haters.  If you hang out in Apple forums or the comments on any article about an Apple product for even a few minutes you will very quickly see people making posts both for and against Apple products with irrational fervor.  The fact is that there are pros and cons to any company's products, and usually which is right for any given person is the result of a combination of a variety of factors; yet there are some who seem to take great delight in declaring anyone who doesn't reach the same conclusions as them about the best balance of these factors a fool.

I don't think you're allowed to post in comment sections unless you have virulent words on one extreme or the other. ;D
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »

Used the wrong term, the better term would be converting video not rendering. In the original post in the other discussion, I used the term converting so I only used it here.

Even converting takes advantage of the G cards when using AE, Premiere, and media encoder for most rendering tasks. Each cuda core being used as an separate processor rendering multiple frames at the same time if I understand the process correctly.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 02:19:47 PM »
Not everyone does that professionally, though, Simon; those of us not in the business can't necessarily justify the cost of CC.

Offline Enkidu Shamesh

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 03:32:14 PM »
I mess around with gaming vids as a hobby, but don't have the resources to buy a video rendering specific card. I have a GTX770 and use Sony Movie Studio (consumer version of VEGAS) to edit and render videos.  SMS will not recognize and use the cuda cores. My understanding is that this is purposeful on Nvidia's part - they don't want their cheaper gaming cards competing with their video editing cards. So all of my rendering is done by the CPU (if I opt to use the GTX, which I can, the rendering actually takes longer).

I spent a fair amount of time trying to fix the problem, and it seems to be someone inconsistent (not everyone has it, but many do). The problem only exists with Nvidia's gaming cards, not their video editing cards. It also doesn't exist with all editing software - I can't remember if the problem afflicts VEGAS users as well.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 05:23:33 PM »
Not everyone does that professionally, though, Simon; those of us not in the business can't necessarily justify the cost of CC.

Pretty much. . . .I used MakeMKV and Handbreak also as my conversion software. Used to use Freemake but it does not make as smooth videos actually. Have had overheating with both Freemake and Handbreak. Never had it with MakeMKV but it makes bloody huge files that I then have to convert down to a more compact format. 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain