Author Topic: Podcasts and other media to help me break my bubble  (Read 593 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Podcasts and other media to help me break my bubble
« on: December 16, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
Any suggestions?

I've recently added the following to my list to help me do this.

Democracy Now!  Better than I remembered, the news is pretty good but the interviews tend to go off the rails.   

The Federalist Radio Hour,  Actually thoughtful conservatives, very ambivalent about Trump but I think they've provided some of the most measured discussion of his cabinet picks.  A bit odd because they often cover lifestyle topics, spent about half of a recent episode talking to a guy about throwing a good party.  They're was some decent advice on that score though.

Pollster, two partisan pollsters, one from the dems and one from the GOP discuss polling. 

Any other sources?  Audio is better for me because I can listen at work.  I don't have much time for reading with the new kid. 

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
Re: Podcasts and other media to help me break my bubble
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 01:34:07 PM »
If you can afford a subscription to the Economist, I find them VERY good and about as close to impartial as you can get.  When someone spouts bullcrap, they call them.   Each week they provide a full podcast version of their weekly publication.

#notarealskeptic

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 02:02:58 PM »
I already subscribe to the Economist, its a good news source but doesn't exactly break my bubble.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 07:23:02 PM »
Conference talks off C-SPAN video and podcasted college lectures are actually very good for this sort of thing. 

In particular, conference talks from book authors. 

Edit:  For lectures, I'll mention in particular:
  • Physics for Future Presidents - An overview of physics with an emphasis on conceptual understand and current understanding.  Very, very good.
  • (From Berkley) Economic Geography of the Industrial World - Note: Cranky leftist professor
  • (From Berkley) Food and the Environment - Also a geography course
For C-SPAN talks, I'll mention in particular The Pentagon's New Map.  It's basically Bush admin foreign policy/neoconservatism summed up in a three hour nutshell.  It's half diagnosis/analysis, half prescription/think-piece.  It's very interesting and provides a very sharp contrast between the real stuff and the fake stuff you get off mainstream media. 

I already subscribe to the Economist, its a good news source but doesn't exactly break my bubble.

Just keep reading it until you realize that perhaps you need the one-two combination of privatization and liberalization to break your bubble. 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 08:02:37 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

personate-rain
personate-rain