Author Topic: Episode #597  (Read 3450 times)

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • http://gmalivuk.livejournal.com
Re: Episode #597
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »
I haven't seen the movie, but what's wrong with fire extinguisher rockets?
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2017, 03:39:19 PM »

Unrealistic, and they seem to last longer than they really would, IIRC. I liked the movie, because Sandra Bullock, but it was pretty unrealistic.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »

I haven't seen it either, but here's a scene with a fire extinguisher, starting at about 40 seconds.

How much pressure would there have to be in that fire extinguisher for that to be possible? I think if they wanted to do that they should've had the astronaut traveling with barely any speed at all. Relative to the station.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2017, 07:35:21 PM »
Even worse than the extinguisher having enough pressure and duration, is the idea that an untrained person, tumbling head over heels, would be able to shoot it in a way that would actually get her where she wanted to go. And then, when it's empty, she manages to throw the extinguisher itself in exactly the right direction to complete her trip and grab onto the station.

But I still liked the movie.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain