Author Topic: Bidets  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
Bidets
« on: December 20, 2016, 12:26:32 AM »
Just watched todayIfoundout's video on YouTube about why Americans don't tend to use the bidet.

I think something must be missing from their perception of why we don't use them, because I now realize that he only indirectly addressed my own doubts about the bidet. I was honestly surprised to hear that bidets are supposed to be so effective. Don't get me wrong, I have also long thought it was crazy that Americans have been cleaning our butts with dry paper, but I find it hard to imagine a bidet actually cleaning much of anything even as well as that method. It seems like it would just leave everything wet without removing more than a few clumps of poop. I would almost think you need soap and a washcloth to do a really proper job, but it sounds like these things are working well enough in the countries that use them.

So, without soap or any sort of scrubbing, how does a bidet actually clean one's bum?
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Bidets
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 03:48:18 AM »
I just wanted to make a comment that I would not mind having one myself but they are just so expensive, like the cost of a pretty nice used car in some cases.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 04:23:07 AM »
I use one, paper sucks!

If you got some shit on your hand would you just wipe it off with a thin square of tissue paper or would you wash your hands? why treat your ass any different?

I feel cleaner, I dont purchase expensive TP and I dont believe my water bill has gone up enough to matter, perhaps a dollar or two, it does not use that much water. I have a cheaper seat only model but i'm ready for an upgrade, The one I have now needs to warm up so i have to run the hot water in the sink while I am doing my business until its warm enough to use but its wasteful (still cheaper than TP) sometimes in the morning i dont bother and let the cold water wake me up.  Im ready for a self heating model with a blow dryer and all the other bells and whistles.

you can get the cheaper ones for less than $100 https://www.bidetsplus.com/bio-bidet-elite-3.html

how does it clean your bum? water pressure, it has a perfect spray for doing this, you can adjust the pressure to your liking.

edit: actually this is the one I have, the other one is cold water only, no thanks https://www.bidetsplus.com/bio-bidet-bb-270-duo.html

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:28:21 AM by Simon Jester »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 04:25:33 AM »
Is a bidet the same as a bum hose?
I fucking hate using a bum hose. My ass is wet after and when the floor is wet when you walk in to a bathroom, you KNOW its ass water.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 04:29:35 AM »
I fucking hate using a bum hose. My ass is wet after and when the floor is wet when you walk in to a bathroom, you KNOW its ass water.

they make towels for this, I keep them next to the unit, much like using the shower, the new ones have blow dryers

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 04:34:07 AM »
I looked up " bum Hose" and no I dont think its the same thing, that looks like the dish washer sprayer we have in some kitchens. I would expect something like that to make a mess.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 05:26:15 AM »

I think I have seen bum hoses on a number of foreign vessels when I have had to stay aboard one when there was a security issue onboard.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 05:30:35 AM »
I use one, paper sucks!

If you got some shit on your hand would you just wipe it off with a thin square of tissue paper or would you wash your hands? why treat your ass any different?

I feel cleaner, I dont purchase expensive TP and I dont believe my water bill has gone up enough to matter, perhaps a dollar or two, it does not use that much water. I have a cheaper seat only model but i'm ready for an upgrade, The one I have now needs to warm up so i have to run the hot water in the sink while I am doing my business until its warm enough to use but its wasteful (still cheaper than TP) sometimes in the morning i dont bother and let the cold water wake me up.  Im ready for a self heating model with a blow dryer and all the other bells and whistles.

you can get the cheaper ones for less than $100 https://www.bidetsplus.com/bio-bidet-elite-3.html

how does it clean your bum? water pressure, it has a perfect spray for doing this, you can adjust the pressure to your liking.

edit: actually this is the one I have, the other one is cold water only, no thanks https://www.bidetsplus.com/bio-bidet-bb-270-duo.html

Unfortunately the hot water line is some distance away from my toilet so would have to either live with cold or run a long hot water line.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 06:42:50 AM »
One thing I found with the spray (dunno if its the same with a bidet) was when I would test wipe later, it was somehow dirty again? Like just slightly, but more than when I thoroughly wiped.
I duno. Its fine. I have a preference, but for environmental reasons, we should probably all use bidets unless in a region thats short of water.

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 06:47:25 AM »
So other than a blow dryer, how does a bidet not make the same mess that Harry describes?

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 08:42:28 AM »

I lost.

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 10:29:41 AM »
So, without soap or any sort of scrubbing, how does a bidet actually clean one's bum?

It uses a water jet or jets to mechanically remove the material which is also generally water-soluble.  Soap isn't really necessary unless you're aiming for disinfection, which isn't very productive as the region will quickly become contaminated again.

So other than a blow dryer, how does a bidet not make the same mess that Harry describes?

It's all contained in the toilet bowl.
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 10:35:13 AM »
But aren't you dripping when you stand up?

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »

You can either blow dry, pad yourself with TP, or wait a minute to air dry.
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 11:05:21 AM »

You can either blow dry, pad yourself with TP, or wait a minute to air dry.

like I said i keep towels (cloth) in the bathroom, its no different then stepping out of the shower, TP does not work well on a wet surface but honestly you dont get that wet, the water is localized perfectly.

personate-rain