Author Topic: Episode #598  (Read 3074 times)

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Re: Episode #598
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 04:33:46 PM »
Listening now, re: Arrival -

Military: They can immediately provide you with disciplined personnel, good security, good information control, etc.  I thought this was reasonable.

That was my thought as well.

If you need to set up a secure perimeter, and then establish housing and communications and the like, the military is pretty clearly who can get it done post haste.

Similar to calling out the National Guard for natural disasters.

So that plot point did not bother me at all.

I agree. The military is there for security, mostly to keep the masses out, and to keep an eye on the aliens.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 06:02:50 PM »
I would further add that initial risks, such as setting up the meeting space etc should be handled by soldiers under direct and close supervision from those with the actual know how.
You dont want to lose your best diplomat/scientist through a stupid error early on.
There are parts of the military that are perfectly suited to such a thing and are trained to be diplomatic with people whose language they dont speak.
Dont allow them to have weapons though obviously.

It always makes me laugh in films like this and the likes of Transformers/Terminator etc that the soldiers bother with the weight of rifles/pistols that will be absolutely ZERO help if something attacks them.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 07:07:55 PM »
Yeah, like, I watched the The Day The Earth Stood Still remake and that was pretty terrible about this.  The whole movie was basically the military trying to control the aliens through force and it was dumb as hell. 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Nosmas

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
I really enjoy when the SGU does movie reviews. I wish they did it more often. Their Arrival review is no different. I think they covered most of my issues with the movie (I loved it 8.5/10) but there's one thing this movie does that really bugs me. In fact almost every movie where time is a major theme does it.

(click to show/hide)
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 01:01:33 AM »
I find movie reviews to be fun if I've already seen the movie. In almost all cases, I haven't, since I don't tend to go see movies as soon as they're released - or usually, ever. Arrival is one of those extremely rare cases where I actually want to see a movie, and I'll still probably wait until some time after it hits Netflix.

So in the most part, movie reviews aren't useful to me. That's not to say that I don't think they should do them. Other people obviously enjoy them, and I am more than capable of hitting fast-forward (thanks to Steve, by the way, for editing in the end time to make that easy).

Offline Zucchi

• Brand New
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 09:33:32 PM »
Clarke, not Asimov.  Surprised at that mistake.

Thought Arrival was one of the best sf movies in some time.  And it's actually sf, not sci-fi.  (For those of us old enough to understand the distinction.  I've been reading sf for half a century.)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »
Clarke, not Asimov.  Surprised at that mistake.

Thought Arrival was one of the best sf movies in some time.  And it's actually sf, not sci-fi.  (For those of us old enough to understand the distinction.  I've been reading sf for half a century.)

Though the distinction has softened with time. If you strictly apply the old meaning then very little sci-fi qualifies.
What you think of as Sci-Fi is now classified as 'Hard Sci-Fi'.
I have been reading Sci-Fi for about 50 years as well. I take a more general definition.

I have a friend on another forum who so strictly applies genre terms that almost all the books and movies he consumes fall into the Fantasy genre.
For him all musicals are fantasy because it is not true to life. All superheroes = Fantasy. FTL & other non-proven physics = Fantasy etc

For me Arrival is "science-y" enough to be Sci-Fi.

Offline Gravity Allen

• Off to a Start
  • Hi! I'm a linguist!
    • The Ling Space
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2017, 08:13:29 AM »
Just listened to Cara's episode of Talk Nerdy, where she talked about Arrival with Phil Plait:

http://carasantamaria.com/podcast/phil-plait-2

They spent, like, half the episode talking about -- or leading into talking about -- the movie. Weirdly, I found this to be a much more positive review than what ended up on the SGU, which is why I felt compelled to share it here (not that the Rogues crapped on it, or anything, but they weren't as gushing as Cara was on her own podcast).

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2017, 07:58:31 PM »
I'll just leave some of my thoughts on Arrival here.

Have not yet listened to the SGU review.

Offline Nosmas

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2017, 05:52:56 PM »
I think at this point most people just consider science fiction to be anything with robots, AI, space, aliens, simulations, a story which takes place in the future or a story with time travel.

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:12 PM »
Which is why Star Wars isn't science fiction, as it was set in the past.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2017, 06:44:15 PM »
Which is why Star Wars isn't science fiction, as it was set in the past.

I agree Star Wars isn't strictly Sci-Fi. It's Science Fantasy,

But being set in the past doesn't preclude a book from being Sci-Fi. I could imagine many alternate history ideas that would be sci-fi.
i.e a technological leap that eventually leads to the Roman Empire having space travel 1500 years earlier than it happened.

Offline Nosmas

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »
Star Wars still has robots, space travel and aliens.

Offline Obviousman

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2017, 04:39:38 AM »
Like a couple of others, I have to differ with Steve's opinion regarding the military.

I absolutely agree they should not be "running things", determining what will happen, etc; that is for a civil panel or authority. They would provide the necessary security, etc.

I also thought that the military weapons *might* be useful. Just because a civilization is advanced in a technology such as space travel, it doesn't mean they are similarly advanced in weapons or defensive behaviour, etc. They might never have encountered aggressive behaviour and not really know how to combat it. Likewise, it might be that their technology - though advanced - is still vulnerable to a simple thing such as a projectile weapon.

Lastly.. "Gravity"? That film was filled with factual / scientific inaccuracies. By all means, enjoy it (I did) but please - it is in the same category as Prometheus for suspension of disbelief.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2017, 08:18:46 AM »
Lastly.. "Gravity"? That film was filled with factual / scientific inaccuracies. By all means, enjoy it (I did) but please - it is in the same category as Prometheus for suspension of disbelief.

Not even on the same planet.

personate-rain
personate-rain