Author Topic: "Netherlands: 50% officially not religious"  (Read 1443 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: "Netherlands: 50% officially not religious"
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »
I keep reading the subject line as "Neanderthals: 50% officially not religious" and thinking, "that seems very high unless they didn't poll my cousins."

There are elections coming up in March that will show if you're brain's far off the mark there. I'm not hopeful that it is.

I'm pretty sure we'll also end up with a Trumpet getting the largest party here. Maybe it's the hair?
Mooohn!

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
I wonder how religious Neanderthals were?
As I recall there's decent evidence that one of the weakness of the Neanderthals is that they just weren't that creative.  For instance art didn't show up associated with neanderthals until it was likely they had interacted with anatomically modern humans.   Which might suggest, they weren't that religious on account of gods not having occurred to them. 

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 02:53:27 PM »

I wonder if Nederlander Neanderthalers were less religious than say... the Italian ones.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 03:29:29 PM »

I wonder if Nederlander Neanderthalers were less religious than say... the Italian ones.
We'll never know, that's all in the distant pasta.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 08:08:01 PM »
As I recall there's decent evidence that one of the weakness of the Neanderthals is that they just weren't that creative.  For instance art didn't show up associated with neanderthals until it was likely they had interacted with anatomically modern humans.   Which might suggest, they weren't that religious on account of gods not having occurred to them.

From what I know there is evidence that they believed in an afterlife, as their graves often have various items such as tools in them.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 09:51:12 PM »

From what I know there is evidence that they believed in an afterlife, as their graves often have various items such as tools in them.
Or they just thought that was a nice way to honor a fallen family member.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Shibboleth

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »
God smote them, so you can figure.

He didn't smote them. Neanderthals evolved into birds.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.